The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

dhsimmonds

I have now changed my pre-order for the PanaLeica DG100-400 for the mZuiko 300/F4 Pro lens. The only downside is that delivery will not be available until mid year here in the UK.:cry: So K-H you were darned fortunate to get yours!

However I am now totally convinced that it is the right thing to do and I already have the MC14 to provide me with an effective 840mm field of view, should I need it. My next trip to Africa is not until September/October in their spring time so I should have it by then, if Olympus can keep up with demand.

k-hawinkler

Thanks Dave and good luck!

I pre-ordered the 300/4 lens at the earliest possible moment from Amazon. My neighbor did the same. Her lens arrived at the same afternoon as mine.
I get the impression though this lens is a smashing success? :grin:

BTW, I find the Oly 40-150/2.8 PRO of similar quality as the 300/4.
That lens also works with the MC-14.
Which lenses do you use in that focal length? TIA.

biglouis

I have now changed my pre-order for the PanaLeica DG100-400 for the mZuiko 300/F4 Pro lens. The only downside is that delivery will not be available until mid year here in the UK.:cry: So K-H you were darned fortunate to get yours!
Amazon is saying 25th March. Mind you, they were wrong about the 100-400. Just thought you should know.

LouisB

dhsimmonds

Thanks Dave and good luck!

I pre-ordered the 300/4 lens at the earliest possible moment from Amazon. My neighbor did the same. Her lens arrived at the same afternoon as mine.
I get the impression though this lens is a smashing success? :grin:

BTW, I find the Oly 40-150/2.8 PRO of similar quality as the 300/4.
That lens also works with the MC-14.
Which lenses do you use in that focal length? TIA.
I have all of the Olympus mZuiko PRO lenses ie 7-14, (awesome!) 12-40, 40-150 (also an awesome lens) the 300 F4 will I understand complete the Pro series of lenses thank goodness, as I'm now broke!!
Oh and I also have the 75/1.8mm premium lens, the new 14-150 weatherproof zoom (OK as a lightweight general purpose lens but nothing like the Pro lenses). I also own the Panasonic Leica DG 45/2.8 macro Elmarit which produces beautiful images with a smooth buttery bokeh and the Panny 100-300 which has been my wildlife lens since leaving the Sony brand some years ago. The images that I have seen from the 300/F4 pro is closer to those that I obtained from the Sony 100-400 which on my old Sony A700 gave me a field of view equivalent of 600mm at full zoom. It is a very good lens but very heavy and in it's silver colour not ideal as a wildlife lens!(a camouflage cover soon disguised that!)

Two E-M1 bodies and a FL 600 flash completes my current arsenal except for a Panasonic LX100 with its lovely F1.7 zoom lens which I use for everyday walking and family stuff.

Does this answer your question K-H?

k-hawinkler

Thank you Dave. Yes, it does. You have a great set of tools.
I have never looked closely at the 75/1.8 lens. Maybe I should.
For macro I use the 60/2.8 MACRO lens as it supports focus bracketing/stacking.
I am appreciating my m4/3 system more and more.
In particular hand held tele shots with image stabilization seem like magic. :grin:
Thanks again.

dhsimmonds

K-H
Oh sorry I forgot that I also have the 60mm mZuiko macro! It is a very sharp lens which is great for insects etc., but for more general use I find that it is a bit too sharp as it gives me that clinical sharpness and harsh bokeh so different from the Panaleica DG45/2.8 which renders a much more "artistic" image in my view. The 60 mZuiko is undeniably sharper and the extra reach is very useful for macro work in the wild but it is not the lens I reach for portrait work ie children and their young mothers, but is OK for male and craggy weather beaten faces!

k-hawinkler

K-H
Oh sorry I forgot that I also have the 60mm mZuiko macro! It is a very sharp lens which is great for insects etc., but for more general use I find that it is a bit too sharp as it gives me that clinical sharpness and harsh bokeh so different from the Panaleica DG45/2.8 which renders a much more "artistic" image in my view. The 60 mZuiko is undeniably sharper and the extra reach is very useful for macro work in the wild but it is not the lens I reach for portrait work ie children and their young mothers, but is OK for male and craggy weather beaten faces!

Many thanks Dave.
I think for portrait shots I should use my Nocticron 42.5/1.2.
I wonder how it compares to the DG 45/2.8?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Not sure if this was posted before or if all of you are using FB, but I liked this informative video regarding Oly's 300/4 in-lens IS: If it works as advertised it's pretty cool, no ?
Know this video now since some time, pretty amazing indeed.

From what I see, hear and read, even from folks like Lloyd, who is in general rater skeptical and negative but in this case rather enthusiastic about the 4/300, I guess tis is the right lens to add to my arsenal. Just makes so much more sense overall.

Plus staying in the Olympus ecosystem is for sure helpful IMHO.

k-hawinkler

Not sure if this was posted before or if all of you are using FB, but I liked this informative video regarding Oly's 300/4 in-lens IS: If it works as advertised it's pretty cool, no ?

Thank you Bart. Very cool indeed. I think I also so a similar video early on on an Olympus website.

From my observations with E-M1/5.2 and 300/4 and even with MC-14, pressing the shutter button halfway down focuses and simultaneously stabilizes the image to an amazing degree - provided all stabilization features are switched on. Especially, if I sit or lean my back against some support so that my body doesn't sway. Taking the finger then of the shutter button keeps the image still focused and after a fraction of a second one can clearly see the image jerking around due to involuntary muscle twitching. Of course, that's what IBIS is supposed to do with other lenses as well. However, my personal impression is - although I can't prove it - that this image stabilization seems to work particularly well with this lens in combination with the two mentioned cameras.

Please, let me quote Arthur C. Clarke again. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke's_three_laws, quote:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Well, for me that seems to be the case here.
But, having spent my entire professional career with computers for scientific purposes, I am one who is constantly amazed anyway that hyper-complex computer chips and derived systems work at all! :facesmack: :LOL:

dhsimmonds

Your first images with the DG200/400 are looking good Bart. I am looking forward to seeing some of your shots taken with this lens in daylight now.

biglouis

It's definitely a Leica...

(now, if only one of the two pre-orders I've made can come through for me...)