The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

Knorp

Another sample: first full, second crop ...

LEICA DG 100-400/F4-6.3 Shot at 400 mm : distance ... 'longish'
Aperture priority AE, 1/160 sec, f/8, ISO 400, Ev -0.7 | tripod used, lens and camera stabilisation both switched off

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Another sample: first full, second crop ...

LEICA DG 100-400/F4-6.3 Shot at 400 mm : distance ... 'longish'
Aperture priority AE, 1/160 sec, f/8, ISO 400, Ev -0.7 | tripod used, lens and camera stabilisation both switched off
I really do like what I see from this lens so far.

Have a question question WRT using both camera IBIS of EM1 and lens OIS - does it work ok?

Or does it only work perfect in combination with GX8?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Knorp

I really do like what I see from this lens so far.

Have a question question WRT using both camera IBIS of EM1 and lens OIS - does it work ok?

Or does it only work perfect in combination with GX8?

Thanks in advance.

Peter
K-H did some extensive investigation and recommendation regarding IBIS, OIS and Dual IS.
The best combo obviously is the PL 100-400 and GX8.

So far I've done hand-held with everything switched on and tripod with everything switched off.
Still to do the various combinations ...

Kind regards.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Hi Bart, handheld on an Olympus camera, I would switch on either the lens IS or IBIS, but not both. Then at least you know what you are dealing with. When switching on both then I have no idea what's happeing. One would think in that case one system or the other would get switched off to avoid interference. But I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen. I have found no reference for that, except to use one or the other, but no both. As it's a 400 mm lens I would start with lens IS and see whether that improves your current handheld experience. Good luck and please let us know what you find. :grin:

Knorp

LEICA DG 100-400/F4-6.3 Shot at 300 mm
Aperture priority AE, 1/40 sec, f/5.7, ISO 1000, Ev -0.3

slightly visible: a nasty noisy patch right under the monkey's mouth/throat

Annna T

LEICA DG 100-400/F4-6.3 Shot at 300 mm
Aperture priority AE, 1/40 sec, f/5.7, ISO 1000, Ev -0.3

slightly visible: a nasty noisy patch right under the monkey's mouth/throat

Look at it on an iPad and the noise is gone ;)

Elliot

Bart and Louis,

I'm wondering how the 100-400 is doing these days. I haven't seen much action about it recently, and am trying to decide between it and the 100-300 II that will come out soon. I recently sold the original 100-300 (that I had since 2011), and can't decide whether the compactness of the 100-300 II would be utilized more often or whether the improved image quality and reach would from the 100-400 would be worth the extra weight.

Knorp

Bart and Louis,

I'm wondering how the 100-400 is doing these days. I haven't seen much action about it recently, and am trying to decide between it and the 100-300 II that will come out soon. I recently sold the original 100-300 (that I had since 2011), and can't decide whether the compactness of the 100-300 II would be utilized more often or whether the improved image quality and reach would from the 100-400 would be worth the extra weight.
Hi there Elliot,

speaking for myself I'm rather underwhelmed (if that's the appropriate phrase) by the performance of the PL100-400 at the long end.
Check out this LensTip review: Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f4.0-6.3 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Image resolution and you'll find it's doing fine between 100 and 200 but then it starts to detoriate quickly.
That said, perhaps (and hopefully) Louis' got a better copy than mine.
My advice: wait for the reviews of the new 100-300 II.

Kind regards.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi All,

I am kind of in the same boat, looking for a great and versatile zoom in the range of 75-400 (well these are my extreme numbers I would wish for).

So I was honestly considering the 100-400 because I saw all these great results and price meanwhile came down a bit to €1500.- so I am quite confused to hear that it should not be as great at 400.

The 100-300 II is definitely a cheaper lens and I am not quite sure how it would perform on my EM1.2 ???

Advice and samples are welcome :D

Peter

Matix

Hi All,

I am kind of in the same boat, looking for a great and versatile zoom in the range of 75-400 (well these are my extreme numbers I would wish for).

So I was honestly considering the 100-400 because I saw all these great results and price meanwhile came down a bit to €1500.- so I am quite confused to hear that it should not be as great at 400.

The 100-300 II is definitely a cheaper lens and I am not quite sure how it would perform on my EM1.2 ???

Advice and samples are welcome :D

Peter
Hi, just returned from a 3 week cruise down to Antarctica. Totally happy with the Panaleica 100-400mm, with one major exception!! As far as stabilization, image quality rendering, and a great zoom range..... watch this lens does not fall off the camera body.

Yes, there is an issue, not so much with the lens per se, but with the fact that it is a very heavy lens due to the glass of course, and if one were to wander around with the lens hanging off the camera, or put it down and pick it up again... without due care and attention, it is possible and documented for the bayonet attachment to undo and allow the lens to disconnect.

I used this lens on a GX8 and G85, and found it was worse on the G85 but not so much on the GX8. I have personally solved the disconnect issue with a modified flash bracket, flat strip.. and a couple of extra bracket screws.

Some pics up soon, just in editing mode.. .watch this space.

Phil

Knorp

Hi, just returned from a 3 week cruise down to Antarctica. Totally happy with the Panaleica 100-400mm, with one major exception!! As far as stabilization, image quality rendering, and a great zoom range..... watch this lens does not fall off the camera body.

Yes, there is an issue, not so much with the lens per se, but with the fact that it is a very heavy lens due to the glass of course, and if one were to wander around with the lens hanging off the camera, or put it down and pick it up again... without due care and attention, it is possible and documented for the bayonet attachment to undo and allow the lens to disconnect.

I used this lens on a GX8 and G85, and found it was worse on the G85 but not so much on the GX8. I have personally solved the disconnect issue with a modified flash bracket, flat strip.. and a couple of extra bracket screws.

Phil
Hi there Phil,

Swapped my PL100-400 for an Oly 300/4.0 yesterday, but up till then I've never encountered this 'disconnect issue' on my EM1.1, EM1.2 or GX8.
Nor did it happen with any other lens for that matter, but anyway it seems to me quite a serious and disturbing experience.
Good thing you found a solution for something that shouldn't happen in the first place.
Still, is your PL100-400 the only lens this happens to ?

Kind regards.

Elliot

Phil
Phil,

I also am quite interested in knowing more about this bayonet detachment syndrome that you report, especially since I have the G85 body (and not the GX8 or E-M1).

Elliot

Matix

Phil,

I also am quite interested in knowing more about this bayonet detachment syndrome that you report, especially since I have the G85 body (and not the GX8 or E-M1).

Elliot
Hi Elliot, here is an image of the modification, it works well and I have not qualms about the lens and the G85 combination anymore. I did contact Panasonic, and the asked me for confirmation that this had happened before, I sent the link from DPReview that I had found, two or 3 had experienced this. They offered to have me send in the lens and body to Sydney, and they would test it to see if it was my damage.. and also stated in their email that their technicians had tested that combination and found no issue. So far I have opted to not send it in for testing, if they offered to have me come in to their office and show them, ok.

it was very disconcerting to suddenly find the body and lens had parted company, the first two times I had put down the camera and lens after carrying and using it for a while, and when I picked it up the lens stayed on the table. Another time I had to go through security on the ship, and they put it in a small tray, when the security guy did this, the lens separated again... not happy!!

Fortunately, I had been using a Black Rapid double shoulder harness, one attached to the lens and one to the G85. This happened twice when out and using, several times I noted when using the body/lens combination, the viewfinder would go black after 15 minutes or so of use, zooming etc. A quick twist and it would reconnect until the next time.

This method ensures that this will not happen inadvertently, eventually someone will get through, this is a NEW body and lens, purchased a little over a month ago, and it is happening.

The fix...

Photo-Matix Imagery | Camera Tests