The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 on bellows, macro with orchidees

f6cvalkyrie

Hi everybody,

I'm new here, my name is Rafael, and I live in Belgium, not far away from Brussels.
I recently bought a G1 with the 2 kit lenses, and also an adaptor to be able to use my "old" Nikon stuff.

For the first time in many years, I was again able to shoot with the macro bellows, that had been collecting dust in my old darkroom :eek:

I just wanted to present to you the results of a first shoot ! Please let me know what you think about them !

C U,
Rafael

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Welcome Rafael! I have fond memories of working with bellows on my old Nikons too. It looks to be working very well on the G1. How did you light the Orchid? Are you using the exposure as given by the G1 meter? Nice job.

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,

for this shoot, I used incandescent light (just a lightbulb). Light measurement was indeed by the G1 sensor, but I had to correct it a little, because it tended to be to dark. Big advantage of the digital camera, you immediately see it if anything is wrong.

I'll probably do more in the next days, maybe with natural lighting.

I'm glad you liked them.

Hey, this was the setup :

Enjoy,
Rafael

Knorp

Very good Rafael, it seems the DOF here is more then adequate.
What aperture did you use ?

Kind regards.

Rafel, Very nice detail of the phal. Thank you also for the picture of your setup. Did the color come out correctly from the camera or did you have to correct it in postprocessing and what software did you use?

f6cvalkyrie

Hi Peter,

After I had compensated for the too dark results in the first place, the rest came out quite correctly. I have shot in RAW, and used Silkypixs to convert to jpg, maybe applying some extra contrast. Colour was OK, the pictures were made by incandescent light, and the white balance set for it.

After all, not a hard job, and certainly much easier and much more sure than it was 25 years ago, shooting on film !

C U,
Rafael

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,

since the weather is very dull and rainy here in Belgium, I was happy that one of my wife's orchidees started flowering exactely today :p

Here are some pics of it :

Setup is G1 on Nikon bellows, 105 mm lens, stopped down to f11
Shot in RAW and converted to jpg after corrections to exposure, colour balance, saturation and blacklevel

I hope you like them !

C U
Rafael

This morning I found this orchid, an Oncicium cheirophorum, had opened; each flower is 15mm wide. I am adding the pictures to this thread although it was not made with bellows rather than opening another orchid thread. I hope it can be accepted in the future as general orchid picture thread.

View attachment 13318

Oncicium cheirophorum
G1 – Leica APO Macro Elmarit 100mm/2.8 ISO=100 1/4sec f/=11 – Raw Therapee + Gimp
No correction apart from very minor sharpening and resizing

View attachment 13319

100% crop

The G1 is a very capable camera for orchid photography. It is quite difficult to correctly render the colors and the luminosity of the little points you can see in the 100% crop. Until now, the only satisfactory results I achieved with a digital camera were with the Leica DMR. Neither various Canon DSLRs I tried, nor my Nikon D700 were capable of such good rendering in this special field.

Last edited:

m3photo

Re: Satisfactory Results

The G1 is a very capable camera for orchid photography. Until now, the only satisfactory results I achieved with a digital camera were with the Leica DMR. Neither various Canon DSLRs I tried, nor my Nikon D700 were capable of such good rendering in this special field.
Something that I have noticed is the beautiful way this camera draws clouds - it certainly reproduces them in a far more natural manner than a Canon 5D IMO.

f6cvalkyrie

Orchidees are so attractif that I could not resist to take some more pics.

Made with G1 and 45-200mm lens, at minimum focusing distance (ca 1m)
Shot in RAW, adjusted colourtemperature, blacklevel, sharpness ... in Silkypix, and then converted to jpg. Borders added in PaintShopPro and resized for posting

I hope you like them !
Rafael

f6cvalkyrie

A clivia for you today !

setup = G1 on bellows, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 @ f/16 1/20sec
Processing : some cropping, exposure correction, blacklevel ctl, all in silkypix
Border added, buttonised and rescaled for upload in Corel Paint Shop Pro PhotoX2

I hope you like it !

C U,
Rafael

f6cvalkyrie

Macrophotography IS a dangerous hobby, Peter, very addictif :D
Good that I take pictures of flowers, not of spyders, bugs ....
That could become really frightening.

BTW, magnification in this picture is 9.7 to 1

CU,
Rafael

f6cvalkyrie

Our orchidee is still flowering very well, and some new butts are coming out whilst the previous flowers are still there.

Here's a pic, G1 with kitlens 14-45 @ 45mm f5.6
Some work in Silkypix and in PSP PhotoX2

CU,
Rafael​

m3photo

I don't want to be disrespectful by correcting you in public so please take this kindly from a language teacher:
You say "Orchids" and "Buds". Let's leave it at that ...

f6cvalkyrie

Webster's new world dictionary of the american language, new, revised, expanded, pocket-size edition, (1979)

butt : a large cask of wine or beer
bud : small swelling on a plant

Maybe, just maybe, do I know more about butts than about buds ???
And I can't help it, but (again) I think I know "butt" from some other meaning also.:confused:

C U
Rafael