Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: So, what is a good manual normal lens now?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: So, what is a good manual normal lens now?

Quote Originally Posted by petermcwerner View Post
    The one I bought reached $232 on ebay and was in C-mount. You have to be patient, there are not many around (unless you want to order a new one from Schneider Kreuznach - if I am not wrong it lists at around $2,000)
    USD2.000... Nah, I've always believed patience is a virtue.

daggerlee

Has anybody tried any of the OM Zuiko wide angles? John over at Biofos has some test pictures with a whole range of Zuikos. Surprisingly, the 24mm f/2 seems to be sharper wide open than the 24mm f/2.8.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont have one, hell i dont even have a 'normal' lens anymore, but you should have a look at Contax 28/2 'Hollywood' which is slightly stretching the normal zone.

The lens is very highly regarded on FF and even for Zeiss standards its said to be one of the best, the last one I saw on ebay rolled out for $800+

Not certain prefixes apply for 28/2, but there are two types in Contax lenses, prefixed AE and MM, MM are later types and are thought to have more digital friendly coatings. FF fans chase AE b/se they are an easier fit to 5D.

CZ are a different design to Contax, but there is is this 28/2 CZ on SLRGear
    http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...ct/1146/cat/98
    note the difference between FF and APS results

Failing that, look at the 25/2.8, of merely high Contax standards, four walls and a ceiling above most anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    My conclusion: Right now we simply don't know of any good manual normal lens for the G1...
    perhaps ... I'm waiting to get an adaptor for my Pentax 110 lenses. They seem quite promising and my 24mm is quite more compact than my C mounts.

if you can gloss over the kana in this link, it shows some possibilities and sample images.

The adaptor in that is bodged from a pentax 110 body, but I know that one maker of adaptors is making one .. now if more people expressed interest to him he might make it with more urgency :-)

PS I paid less than $50 for my 18mm Pentax lens, they do not have an aperture adjustment (wide open only) but if you can live with that then its all cool. Plus at least one user on this group (Hi vivek) has a bodged c-mount conversion to his lens to enable it to be mounted on a cmount adaptor.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The pentax-110 18mm and 24mm (tiniest!) do cover the frame fully without any problems and both are sharp. Only drawback is the fixed aperture. They do need to be accurately focused to get sharp images.

The best normal for me is the Computar-TV 25/1.3. No SLR or RF lens comes close to it.

A recent shot.

Post Thanks / Like

those 110 lenses arent of bad quality,
    the 20-40 zoom and 70mm are kinda nice
    problem is they dont have an aperture

the 18mm (34 (dia) x 21mm) and especially the 24mm (28 (dia) x 15mm) are tiny, the 50 somewhere near lens size. There are filters and caps floating around the net, its common for them to be sold without caps. There was even a 1.7x tele adapter sold by Soligor, I have one of those too. I forget now but the register is 28mm i think, i can measure a body if nobody knows

the adapter you can see in that link its actually the mount from a Pentax Auto 110 camera, complete with the mount shroud, probably affixed to a mFT body cap with a hole cut into it.
    Last edited by Riley; 20th July 2009 at 09:55.

jKK

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    The pentax-110 18mm and 24mm (tiniest!) do cover the frame fully without any problems and both are sharp. Only drawback is the fixed aperture. They do need to be accurately focused to get sharp images.

The best normal for me is the Computar-TV 25/1.3. No SLR or RF lens comes close to it.

A recent shot.

Hello

Looks good Mr Vivek

Do you mean the Megapixel 1inch version:-

Also, although a bit slow, but what about the PenF 25mm/2.8 ?
    It is a nice size and ergonomic.

-jKK

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the 25/2.8 Pen, but it wasn't as nice as I was hoping, there are many c-mount lenses that are much better in that focal length, my favorite is the 25/1.9 Xenoplan, although the f/1.3 Computar looks fantastic.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Hi

perhaps ... I'm waiting to get an adaptor for my Pentax 110 lenses. They seem quite promising and my 24mm is quite more compact than my C mounts.

The adaptor in that is bodged from a pentax 110 body, but I know that one maker of adaptors is making one .. now if more people expressed interest to him he might make it with more urgency :-)
    Hi Pellicle:

I need an adapter - who is the supplier?

Keith

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

JKK, What Robert (monza) said. The Computar-TV 25/1.3 is a garden variety (discontinued) version and not the megapixel one. Schneider Xenoplan 25/1.9 is a superb lens as well. A bit too small, unfortunately. So, manual (aperture, especially) operation is a bit difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Bear in mind that the flange distance of c-mount is ~17.5mm which is less than the flange distance of micro 4/3 (~20mm.) This means the screw threads for the c-mount adapter are recessed into the lens mount of the G1. This limits the rear diameter of c-mount lenses for compatibility.

The back focal length doesn't seem to be an issue with most c-mount lenses that are of interest (i.e., the distance from the rear element to the sensor, or in this case the limitation is the distance from the rear element to the shutter of the G1.)

1" format is a 25.4mm image circle; 22mm is the m4/3 image circle.

Hope this helps!
    To Monza, it seems not ture. I used to get confused of 1" = 1 inch. However, the concept of 1" is refer to 1 unit = 16mm, which is the diagonal size of 16mm format. Since I do some research for Schneider Xenoplan lens and she has a line covering 1.3" large size CCD which the image circle is 22mm. You may go to wiki to have a better idea of it.

From our experience, usually 25mm lens may cover less than 22mm if it is not specific mentioned on the larger coverage. Lens of less than 25mm usually showing dark corner while more than 25mm have a bigger chance of covering the whole sensor. I have a Fujinon 35mm f1.7 and claimed it cover just 2/3" (10mm). But actually it cover the 4/3 sensor without problem.

I am not sure how the manufacturer define the coverage of CCTV lens. It may be because they want to keep the image quality or restrict the usage in certain crop factor. 2/3" is almost half size of 4/3 sensor which means a 35mm on the 2/3" CCTV can produce 140mm view angle equivalent to 35mm format, in the sense of 4X crop factor.

I have several of CCTV lenses and would like to say they can produce fine detail but quite poor of dealing with flare and vignetting due to the coating.
    So, use it carefully, except you use it in LOMO style.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that's correct (that was an old post!) The cctv world is very confusing. Hence the reason for the C-Mount lens database, which lists coverages and image circles...

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...QQ-HJwvNDobeEw

Post Thanks / Like

I see...
    I am still trying my luck. Although the 35mm fujinon do cover the sensor but need quite some MOD to make it working on my G1. I want to find some one to reproduce the rear mount for me to fix it on the lens permanently.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    Hi Pellicle:

I need an adapter - who is the supplier?

Keith
    He goes by the ebay seller id of Hawkpeng2003. He seems to sell only a few things (some 200 or so on his feedback) so his volume seems to be a hobbiest rather than professional, however his work is great!

Being in china he can't see this place (the great firewall of china) so if you contact him, tell him others are keen ... offer to pre order. His adaptors are under $50.

I think that for this kind of thing his stuff is better than RJ Cameras C mounts

Post Thanks / Like

In another thread I mentioned I had high hopes for the CV28/2 Ultron. My hope was that it should work well with the G1 as a reasonably fast normal lens. As it didn't pass the smearing border test I don't know what to do really.

What I am looking for is a lens in the 24-28mm range, at least f/2, manual with good feeling to it, preferably small. In a perfect world there should be one somewhere with nice rendering of the out of focus background stuff.

Any suggestions?
    Voigtlander is a challenge. I tried a 58mm f1.4 Nokton, found it soft with too much colour error. Then I bought one cheap and behold, it's very good. I also tried the 35mm f1.2 Nokton and it was very soft at full aperture. Too soft. I picked up a 28mm f2.0 Kiron. It has a Nikon mount so I can use it with my D300 or G1. This was my third sample. The first one I had was terrible, way too much spherical aberration. At f8, it was phenomenally good. The second sample I have (still have) has oil on the shutter blades though it's a good lens. The third one turned out to be very good and it's the first one I can use wide open with confidence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    What I am looking for is a lens in the 24-28mm range, at least f/2, manual with good feeling to it, preferably small. In a perfect world there should be one somewhere with nice rendering of the out of focus background stuff.
    Any suggestions?.
    Amongst others, a few excellent lenses, but not inexpensive, in order of my personal preference:

25mm/2.0 Kinoptik APO (usually found in Arri or Eclair/Cameflex mount)

25mm/2.0 Cooke Speed Panchro
    25mm/1.9 Schneider Xenoplan
    26mm/1.1 Kern Macro Switar
    Peter Werner
    Leica M8, R9+DMR & Digilux 2; Nikon D700; Panasonic FX01, FX150 & G1; Samsung TL350 (WB 2000)

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Hi

He goes by the ebay seller id of Hawkpeng2003. He seems to sell only a few things (some 200 or so on his feedback) so his volume seems to be a hobbiest rather than professional, however his work is great!
    Thanks Pellicle - I have a couple of his mounts and have been very happy with them. I will try to contact him.

Keith

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

... Any suggestions?
    The Summilux-D 25/1.4 ASPH, Olympus ZD 25/2.8 and Nikkor 28/2AI, of the 24-28mm lenses I've tried, work the best for me in that order. The Nikkor 24/2.8 and Canon FD 24/2 are also very good performers, based on what I've seen others post from them.

On http://www.flickr.com/groups/1084614...7621315945829/ there is mention of a Schneider Xenoplan 25mm f1.4 in C-mount that vignettes minimally and seems to produce good results. A few examples are offered.

PeterLeyssens

Monza,

This spreadsheet is very practical, but I have one question: what does "no" mean in the coverage column ?

Peter.

Post Thanks / Like

The Zeiss ZM C-Biogon 21/4.5 (M-mount) performs surprisingly well for such a wide lens. One of the best super-wide M-mount lenses I've tried on m4/3 so far. Has a bit of corner smearing wide-open (as does every adapted wide-angle lens), but seems a bit better than most adapted lenses I've seen and cleans up as you stop down. Naturally, the flare and ghosting performance is excellent. Sharp and contrasty with the exception of mild corner issues I mentioned wide-open. Bokeh is very good. A slow lens at f/4.5, but you get a smaller, better-corrected, and more flare-resistant lens than you would with a faster lens.

Nikon 20/3.5 AiS (Nikon F-mount). Good lens, but some corner softness and field curvature wide-open, which is noticeable if you do landscape shots at infinity. Improves when you stop down. Actually performs better at closer focus distances. Sharp and contrasty wide-open in the central 2/3 of the frame, making it a great portrait lens or for highlighting subjects in the middle of the frame. Bokeh is fantastic. Flare-resistant. Focus ring is not as well damped as some German lenses, if that sort of thing is important to you.

CV Color-Skopar 20/3.5 SLII (Nikon F-mount). Don't have this lens, but was seriously considering it before getting the Nikon. From the samples I saw, corner performance was better than the Nikon 20/3.5, but the bokeh was just too edgy and nervous for my liking, which ruled it out of contention for me.

Zeiss ZF 25/2.8 (Nikon F-mount). Very good lens in all respects on m4/3, but big and heavy compared to other adapted (M-mount, LTM, etc.) lenses. Much closer min focus distance compared to rangefinder lenses, and is quite sharp at mfd too.

CV Ultron 28/1.9 Asph (LTM/L39SM). The copy I had was a bit disappointing. Soft corners until f/4-5.6.
    Last edited by e_dawg; 1st August 2009 at 09:14.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again everybody for your input. I bump this thread as I'm still looking for a good and fast normal. I have checked the "A super fast normal" thread and this one, one some other places without finding anything. Maybe I missed it.

Is there at all any lens in the 20-25mm range faster than 1.4 covering the whole sensor?

/Jonas

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

To my knowledge, no. The only faster than 1.4 lenses are the various 25/0.95 that don't cover the sensor (although they come very very close.)

Post Thanks / Like

yehh...Carl Ziess Super Speed 25mm f/1.2...

should be ideal for sh00ting Jonas b00k case

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

You sure it's fast enough for that?

There were rumors of a manual focus 25/1.1, I need to check up on the status...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

can i make a case for the zuiko OM 24/2

I paid something like 200 euros for mine and I rate it very highly both on my e-p1 and my canon 5d mk2

these are all e-p1 shots

K

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    There were rumors of a manual focus 25/1.1, I need to check up on the status...
    Any report is appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevinparis View Post
    can i make a case for the zuiko OM 24/2
    Thank you Kevin. Those images look good. I have an FD24/2 I like and I think it performs about the same as the Zuiko. But, too slow... I'm after something faster, if possible.

/Jonas

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Y.B.Hudson III View Post
    yehh...Carl Ziess Super Speed 25mm f/1.2...

should be ideal for sh00ting Jonas b00k case
    Has anyone used one of these?

I heard that they are very compact and light weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Has anyone used one of these?

I heard that they are very compact and light weight.
    I'm afraid the opposite is true. And the price tag is of the sort "If you have to ask...". The 16mm version won't cover the sensor, the 35mm version is to dream about, but still T1.3 "only". It's just YBHudson trying to be funny.

Post Thanks / Like

yehh, dudes... you can rent 25mm super speed for $80/day±...*

might be a h00t... *

I'm [email protected] for my PL mount

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

for completeness on the 110 issues on this thread; this is the Pentax 110 24mm lens its f2.8 and has no aperture but is insanely small and reasonably sharp (see my recent thread on that)

that's it mounted on the camera

aside from Viveks images above I have some on my blog here.
    Last edited by pellicle; 10th February 2010 at 22:42.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

yehh, dudes... you can rent 25mm super speed for $80/day±...*

might be a h00t... *

I'm [email protected] for my PL mount
    I look forward to your take on that, Hudson.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I realize that you're already on to considering more esoteric alternatives. But I thought I'd add one to the general opinion pool: Canon FD 24mm f/2.0.

Wide open, it suffers a bit from that dreamy look that many fast SLR lenses have. And the edges exhibited quite a lot of CA. So I found myself not wanting to use it more open than f/4. At that point, whatever advantages the lens might have had were overshadowed by my reticence to use a wider aperture.
    Best regards,
    John.
    http://jburnett.ca

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you John,

I have an FDn 24/2. Sometimes I like the wide open flare, sometimes I would like it to have more contrast. It's a nice lens and I don't mind using it wide open, or at f/2.8.
    But here I'm asking for faster options. I have been thinking of the FD 24/1.4, either the ASPH version or the FDn L version. But they are big, heavy and expensive. Still looking!

regards,

/Jonas

MelanieC

Computar 25mm/1.3:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120524847364

Not affiliated with the seller in any way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieC View Post
    Computar 25mm/1.3:

Just ordered one of those a few days ago. Can't wait to try it out along with my Computar and Cosmicar 12.5/1.3s I got earlier (need some machining on those).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice price and ease of availability for that gem. Thank goodness it isn't marked Zeiss Super Speed and comes in some weird mount, setting off an unobtainable adapter chase.

All that remains now is to show some pics using it.

[Q: If the m4/3rds system lenses have built-in corrections for vignetting and distortions, how would you compare vignetting and such with dumb manual lenses with those of the computer chip equipped, "smart" system lenses? ]
    Last edited by Vivek; 12th February 2010 at 22:17.

Post Thanks / Like

ah... whine, whine...PL to m4/3 adapt'r is onLy $350±...

How do you get a smart Lense to focus?... not an ethnic joke... Very sLowLy...

Photo smart... no need to machine the 25mm 1.3 (running a good chance of mucking it up)... Simply remove the rubber band from the focus ring. Directly above the infinity mark is a screw, place a dab of super glue remover (acetone) on the screw head, wait a few minutes...then gently remove the screw (with the appropriate tool )...

You can now mount it on a RJ or Hawk c-mount adapter and it will focus 4"- infinity an' beyond!

Last edited by Y.B.Hudson III; 12th February 2010 at 22:48.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does that mean we can not see any of your Super Speed lens test shots in the near future, Hudson?

Post Thanks / Like

I found a PL / C-mount adapt'r... Waiting for credit approval...*

they want more than horses for coLLateral...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like I will stick to my lowly 'tar and there is little chance to discuss the elusive SUper Speeds..

G1, ISO400, Computar-TV 25/1.3, wide open.

MelanieC

Thanks for the info on how to modify the 25mm/1.3 without machining. I ordered one of the Computars (with the camera attached to it) for an offer of $20 and am looking forward to giving it a spin. The only adaptor I have right now is the RJ Camera adaptor.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the precise instructions, Hudson. My Computar is still sitting on the shelf because i thought I need to use the file on it. I'll look into that this weekend.

Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

Photo smart... no need to machine the 25mm 1.3 (running a good chance of mucking it up)... Simply remove the rubber band from the focus ring. Directly above the infinity mark is a screw, place a dab of super glue remover (acetone) on the screw head, wait a few minutes...then gently remove the screw (with the appropriate tool )...
    Thanks! I was actually talking about the 12.5 lenses requiring machining - sorry for the confusion - but I'll take your advice on the 25 once I get it next week. Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieC View Post
    Computar 25mm/1.3:

I saw that one and passed as it said 1/3" DUH......
    should have asked the question....
    http://hodad66.com Sony A7r,A7II, Sony 70-300G, Rokinon 14/2.8, Leitz Wetzler 35/3.5, Leica R Summicron 50/2 & Elmarit 90mm/2.8, Contax N 24-85 & 70--200mm AND Canon FD 20/2.8, 135/2, 500mm 4.5, Minolta 35/1.8, 45mm/2, Nikon 28-50/3.5, 105/1.8, 180/2.8

MelanieC

Computar 25mm/1.3 arrived today (with its security camera lens cap). I followed YB's directions, got rid of the offending screw and can now focus on whatever I want. Thanks YB!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Today, I received a Nikkor 24/2.0 that I bought on the evil-bay for 222$ + transport.

I hope that this will be a good normal lens.

C U
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These are some first shots with the Nikkor 24/2.0

C U,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f6cvalkyrie View Post
    [CENTER]These are some first shots with the Nikkor 24/2.0
    That looks totally OK Rafael.

/Jonas