The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EM1 4.0 Firmware Upgrade

Knorp

Not available as yet, this is only the announcement: Firmware upgrade, Version 4.0 for Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus Corporation (President: Hiroyuki Sasa) is pleased to announce the latest firmware upgrades for two cameras, which will be released for late November 2015 - Version 4.0 for the Olympus OM-D E-M1, a flagship Compact System Camera and Version 2.0 for the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II. This upgrade not only adds new functions found on the OM-D E-M10 Mark II announced on August 25, but also adds new features worthy of high-end models. At the same time, Version 1.1 of Olympus Capture will be released to meet demands from professionals, and the latest firmware update for M.Zuiko Pro and Premium lenses will also be released.

New upgrades on the Olympus E-M1:
• Focus Stacking
• Focus Bracketing
• Silent Mode
• 4K Time Lapse movie
• Live Composite on OI.Share
• Advanced Focus Peaking (with 4 colors)
• S-OVF (Simulated OVF)
• MF Clutch Disable
• 24 & 25p Movie Frame Rate’s
• 5-axis IS for Movie
• Movie Time Code Setting
• Movie Slate Tone
• Movie info Display
• Advanced Olympus Capture
• Synchronized PCM Audio Rec with Movie Rec

:watch:

Knorp

Now Focus Bracketing&Stacking is way cool, but what about that "Simulated OVF" :bugeyes:
What is the world coming to ... :facesmack:

Take care.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Also Silent Mode and all the advanced video features including Movie Info Display are just stellar. Seems to become almost a new camera! Kudos Olympus!

Knorp

Also Silent Mode and all the advanced video features including Movie Info Display are just stellar. Seems to become almost a new camera! Kudos Olympus!
Indeed "almost a new camera", could this mean the Mark II is still light years away ?

raist3d

Indeed "almost a new camera", could this mean the Mark II is still light years away ?
I don't think the EM1 Mark II is light years away, but maybe 4-6 months away. Traditionally Olympus doesn't update the top tier that often, but I think having the lower end models of the OMD family with so many features coming in and the brutal competition, I think they may update the top tier more than in the past.

- Ricardo

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, Movie Slate tone is not coming to the EM1, but the EM5 MKII only.

(I would think that's a bit weird but maybe because the EM5 MKII has some new chip for the movie bandwidth/encodes? Would explain the higher bit rates).

So focus stacked shots are exclusive to the EM1, Movie slate tone for grading is exclusive to the EM5 MKII.

- Ricardo

UPDATE: Sorry me bad. I didn't meant the slate tone but: "Movie-Exclusive Picture Mode: Flat / Noise Filter for video shooting"

That's OMD EM5 MKII only, the other feature (Slate tone) goes in for the EM1 also.

Knorp

Well frankly, I can't be bothered with whatever video-features great as they may be.
I'd like a plain stills camera, but since even Solms have fallen to the lure I very much doubt this to become a reality (again) anytime soon, if ever ... :rolleyes:

Knorp

Looks like the lenses are getting an over haul too: "and the latest firmware update for M.Zuiko Pro and Premium lenses will also be released."

Busy times ahead :D

raist3d

They are free upgrades. The major upgrade really is for the EM1, which is nice because traditionally Olympus's answer would have been "buy our new model."

- Ricardo

k-hawinkler

C'mon K-H, we already paid for it !
Thanks Bart, just making sure I am not dreaming! :bugeyes:
This feels like having Christmas twice this year, the first one in November! :D
Am I glad that I still have all 3 OM-D models. :grin:

But it will be hard to tear myself away from the A7r2. :banghead: :ROTFL: :thumbs:

Annna T

Well,

It's a little deception that focus stacking isn't available on the E-M5II. That is the most interesting feature of this upgrade.

Still, I'm happy with the other improvements. I like the idea to be able to customize the SCP. And the improvement of the remote app, which should offer more control in remote mode. Live composite remotely will be great to experiment with.

V

Vivek

I can now see an OM-D with a few AF lenses for some specific apps. This (FW options) is really enticing. :)

f6cvalkyrie

Very good news indeed, I'm particularly looking forward to the focus stacking ...

Can't wait for "late November" ...

C U
Rafael

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well frankly, I can't be bothered with whatever video-features great as they may be.
I'd like a plain stills camera, but since even Solms have fallen to the lure I very much doubt this to become a reality (again) anytime soon, if ever ... :rolleyes:
I was like you, till I was "forced" into shooting videos of my 4 year old daughter by my significant one :D

Now that I am using it more and more I can really appreciate all these new video features the EM1 will support soon. Also once you made the mental switch (like I kind of seem to have done) combining video with photo in slideshows (LR6 makes this really easy and efficient) opens complete new areas for creativity, I never looked before. May I say, I actually was really missing something. Only thing I want to ensure is that I keep video as simple as possible, where again the OMD's really help with their alien IBIS. Only add on for me is then an external microphone and you have a perfect video rig for excellent HD video, now also with a broad choice of frame rates. I am really happy!

Brian Mosley

This really encourages brand loyalty... Olympus deserve full credit (along with Fuji) for having the right attitude to firmware updates.

Great news! I'm just surprised it's being announced this early...

Brian

k-hawinkler

This really encourages brand loyalty... Olympus deserve full credit (along with Fuji) for having the right attitude to firmware updates.

Great news! I'm just surprised it's being announced this early...

Brian

Thanks, I agree. On your last point. Competitive pressures?