Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: EM1 4.0 Firmware Upgrade

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow EM1 4.0 Firmware Upgrade

Not available as yet, this is only the announcement: Firmware upgrade, Version 4.0 for Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus Corporation (President: Hiroyuki Sasa) is pleased to announce the latest firmware upgrades for two cameras, which will be released for late November 2015 - Version 4.0 for the Olympus OM-D E-M1, a flagship Compact System Camera and Version 2.0 for the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II. This upgrade not only adds new functions found on the OM-D E-M10 Mark II announced on August 25, but also adds new features worthy of high-end models. At the same time, Version 1.1 of Olympus Capture will be released to meet demands from professionals, and the latest firmware update for M.Zuiko Pro and Premium lenses will also be released.

New upgrades on the Olympus E-M1:
    • Focus Stacking
    • Focus Bracketing
    • Silent Mode
    • 4K Time Lapse movie
    • Live Composite on OI.Share
    • Advanced Focus Peaking (with 4 colors)
    • S-OVF (Simulated OVF)
    • MF Clutch Disable
    • 24 & 25p Movie Frame Rate’s
    • 5-axis IS for Movie
    • Movie Time Code Setting
    • Movie Slate Tone
    • Movie info Display
    • Advanced Olympus Capture
    • Synchronized PCM Audio Rec with Movie Rec

Bart ...
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: EM1 4.0 Firmware Upgrade

Now Focus Bracketing&Stacking is way cool, but what about that "Simulated OVF"
    What is the world coming to ...

Take care.
    Bart ...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Also Silent Mode and all the advanced video features including Movie Info Display are just stellar. Seems to become almost a new camera! Kudos Olympus!

Post Thanks / Like

Bah, you beat me to it :-P

You beat me to it! But most importantly, it's not only the EM1 that gets upgraded but also the EM5 MKII.

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/new...150915omde.jsp

Olympus pulling a Fuji-kaizen taking the opportunity. Great news.

- Ricardo
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Also Silent Mode and all the advanced video features including Movie Info Display are just stellar. Seems to become almost a new camera! Kudos Olympus!
    Indeed "almost a new camera", could this mean the Mark II is still light years away ?
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Indeed "almost a new camera", could this mean the Mark II is still light years away ?
    I don't think the EM1 Mark II is light years away, but maybe 4-6 months away. Traditionally Olympus doesn't update the top tier that often, but I think having the lower end models of the OMD family with so many features coming in and the brutal competition, I think they may update the top tier more than in the past.

- Ricardo

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, Movie Slate tone is not coming to the EM1, but the EM5 MKII only.

(I would think that's a bit weird but maybe because the EM5 MKII has some new chip for the movie bandwidth/encodes? Would explain the higher bit rates).

So focus stacked shots are exclusive to the EM1, Movie slate tone for grading is exclusive to the EM5 MKII.

- Ricardo

UPDATE: Sorry me bad. I didn't meant the slate tone but: "Movie-Exclusive Picture Mode: Flat / Noise Filter for video shooting"

That's OMD EM5 MKII only, the other feature (Slate tone) goes in for the EM1 also.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well frankly, I can't be bothered with whatever video-features great as they may be.
    I'd like a plain stills camera, but since even Solms have fallen to the lure I very much doubt this to become a reality (again) anytime soon, if ever ...
    Bart ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. Will this be a free upgrade or will they charge for it?
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the lenses are getting an over haul too: "and the latest firmware update for M.Zuiko Pro and Premium lenses will also be released."

Busy times ahead
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow! These are major upgrades!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks for the info. Will this be a free upgrade or will they charge for it?
    C'mon K-H, we already paid for it !
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

They are free upgrades. The major upgrade really is for the EM1, which is nice because traditionally Olympus's answer would have been "buy our new model."

- Ricardo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

C'mon K-H, we already paid for it !
    Thanks Bart, just making sure I am not dreaming!
    This feels like having Christmas twice this year, the first one in November!
    Am I glad that I still have all 3 OM-D models.

But it will be hard to tear myself away from the A7r2.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well,

It's a little deception that focus stacking isn't available on the E-M5II. That is the most interesting feature of this upgrade.

Still, I'm happy with the other improvements. I like the idea to be able to customize the SCP. And the improvement of the remote app, which should offer more control in remote mode. Live composite remotely will be great to experiment with.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can now see an OM-D with a few AF lenses for some specific apps. This (FW options) is really enticing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very good news indeed, I'm particularly looking forward to the focus stacking ...

Can't wait for "late November" ...

C U
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Post Thanks / Like

Well frankly, I can't be bothered with whatever video-features great as they may be.
    I'd like a plain stills camera, but since even Solms have fallen to the lure I very much doubt this to become a reality (again) anytime soon, if ever ...
    I was like you, till I was "forced" into shooting videos of my 4 year old daughter by my significant one

Now that I am using it more and more I can really appreciate all these new video features the EM1 will support soon. Also once you made the mental switch (like I kind of seem to have done) combining video with photo in slideshows (LR6 makes this really easy and efficient) opens complete new areas for creativity, I never looked before. May I say, I actually was really missing something. Only thing I want to ensure is that I keep video as simple as possible, where again the OMD's really help with their alien IBIS. Only add on for me is then an external microphone and you have a perfect video rig for excellent HD video, now also with a broad choice of frame rates. I am really happy!
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This really encourages brand loyalty... Olympus deserve full credit (along with Fuji) for having the right attitude to firmware updates.

Great news! I'm just surprised it's being announced this early...

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    This really encourages brand loyalty... Olympus deserve full credit (along with Fuji) for having the right attitude to firmware updates.

Great news! I'm just surprised it's being announced this early...

Brian

Thanks, I agree. On your last point. Competitive pressures?
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I agree. On your last point. Competitive pressures?
    Competitive pressure + they do not have the EM1 MarkII ready. And they should as Sony is making lot of noise and wind
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like

Delightful upgrade choices. I was wondering after playing with the HRes mode, in which they move the imaging chip around in the x and y directions, when would they think of moving the chip in the z-direction, to change the point of focus. Now they have, and it seems pretty significant, if 7% of the image around the edges will be sacrificed in order to shift the focal distance. (That should tell us how much movement they plan to make available, if anyone wants to do the calculation.) I suppose the reassembly uses the focus peaking logic to determine what parts of each of the 8 images to retain in the final result. Can't wait to try it out.

And for Bart, not only could you always set the red video button to "OFF, dammit!" , now you can remove all those nagging electronic displays from the viewfinder. What's not to like?

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    Delightful upgrade choices. I was wondering after playing with the HRes mode, in which they move the imaging chip around in the x and y directions, when would they think of moving the chip in the z-direction, to change the point of focus. Now they have, and it seems pretty significant, if 7% of the image around the edges will be sacrificed in order to shift the focal distance. (That should tell us how much movement they plan to make available, if anyone wants to do the calculation.) I suppose the reassembly uses the focus peaking logic to determine what parts of each of the 8 images to retain in the final result. Can't wait to try it out.

And for Bart, not only could you always set the red video button to "OFF, dammit!" , now you can remove all those nagging electronic displays from the viewfinder. What's not to like?

scott
    Thanks. So Scott, you think they will move the sensor in the z-direction as well? But no tilt for now, right?
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting... if depth information could be captured by shifting the sensor along the z axis, presumably it would be possible to simulate a more narrow depth of field?

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by f6cvalkyrie View Post
    Very good news indeed, I'm particularly looking forward to the focus stacking ...
    C U
    Rafael
    Focus stacking is a great addition...interesting to note the press release states it's only compatible with 60mm Macro, 12-40 & 40-150mm PRO lenses though.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice stuff. :-)

G

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. So Scott, you think they will move the sensor in the z-direction as well? But no tilt for now, right?
    Well, how do you do focus stacking? You take a series of images with the camera focused at different distances. They could do it with the autofocus mechanism, which in the E-M1 can use the phase-sensitive detection. This mechanism has the advantage of knowing whether the focus has moved closer or further, while contrast detection uses an error signal that increases both ahead and behind of focus. The announcement is apparently only for the M-1, and only supported on three lenses, which does sound like they will actually refocus the lens. But maybe this is being restricted to the M-1 for marketing timing reasons, and they actually intend to make it available for all models. That would make the shift-in-z more plausible. I'm hoping that the second case holds.

It's surprising that they don't make the high resolution mode possible for the M-1 in this upgrade. Maybe the improved stabilization that is reported for the M5.2 is the result of better hardware, not just fancier firmware.

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Focus stacking is a great addition...interesting to note the press release states it's only compatible with 60mm Macro, 12-40 & 40-150mm PRO lenses though.
    That is 2 more lenses than I thought!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Bart, just making sure I am not dreaming!
    This feels like having Christmas twice this year, the first one in November!
    Am I glad that I still have all 3 OM-D models.

But it will be hard to tear myself away from the A7r2.
    What if Sony offers the same feature (focus stacking) in the near future (A7rII, etc)?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, how do you do focus stacking? You take a series of images with the camera focused at different distances. They could do it with the autofocus mechanism, which in the E-M1 can use the phase-sensitive detection. This mechanism has the advantage of knowing whether the focus has moved closer or further, while contrast detection uses an error signal that increases both ahead and behind of focus. The announcement is apparently only for the M-1, and only supported on three lenses, which does sound like they will actually refocus the lens. But maybe this is being restricted to the M-1 for marketing timing reasons, and they actually intend to make it available for all models. That would make the shift-in-z more plausible. I'm hoping that the second case holds.

It's surprising that they don't make the high resolution mode possible for the M-1 in this upgrade. Maybe the improved stabilization that is reported for the M5.2 is the result of better hardware, not just fancier firmware.

scott
    Thanks Scott.
    Do we have any information that their sensor actually is designed to move in the Z direction or only within the X and Y plane?
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Scott.
    Do we have any information that their sensor actually is designed to move in the Z direction or only within the X and Y plane?
    I think it has to be able to do this. Starting with the E-P5, Olympus has offered "5-axis" motion compensation. x and y shifts are only two. Pitch and yaw come next. A pitch correction is made by pulling back on the top of the sensor and pushing on the bottom (from behind). Yaw is done by pulling back on one side of the sensor and pushing out on the other. So to create a z-move, you push on both sides at the same time. The interesting axis is the roll correction, which offsets any tendency you might have to rotate the camera, say when pushing down hard on the shutter button. (Lenses with optical correction can't do this.) That takes actuators pushing and pulling together, but at 45 degree angles to the z-direction, one pushing, one pulling. If you have seen a full motion flight simulator, the cabin sits on top of several of these angled pairs of piston actuators.

Doing all this on a micron scale is already pretty awesome.

scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

scott
    Do you know for sure that they are moving the sensor and not the lens focusing mechanism ? I'd have thought it is easier to change focus with the lens rather than by moving the sensor : that one already has to take care of IBIS etc. and adding a further z axe seems more complicated than what they achieved with the HIRes mode (where they just makes use of the sensor aptitude to move for IBIS). .

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, where on Earth you get the idea they are moving the sensor in the z direction? ;-)

No, focus stacking is done how you would- using the lens, different focus points. Changing z direction would require a major hardware change. Note focus stacking works only with specific lenses

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, of course it's nonsense.

Focus stacking will be done by moving the lens.

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it has to be able to do this. Starting with the E-P5, Olympus has offered "5-axis" motion compensation. x and y shifts are only two. Pitch and yaw come next. A pitch correction is made by pulling back on the top of the sensor and pushing on the bottom (from behind). Yaw is done by pulling back on one side of the sensor and pushing out on the other. So to create a z-move, you push on both sides at the same time. The interesting axis is the roll correction, which offsets any tendency you might have to rotate the camera, say when pushing down hard on the shutter button. (Lenses with optical correction can't do this.) That takes actuators pushing and pulling together, but at 45 degree angles to the z-direction, one pushing, one pulling. If you have seen a full motion flight simulator, the cabin sits on top of several of these angled pairs of piston actuators.

Doing all this on a micron scale is already pretty awesome.
    T
    scott
    Thanks Scott. I don't think so.
    To use the word axis is somewhat misleading IMHO.

You could do those 5 measurements and with computing projections do 3 image stabilization actions, namely shift sensor in X and Y, rotate within X-Y plane.

That would imply that no motion of the sensor in the Z direction is contemplated.

So focus with the normal focusing mechanism at the different distances would remain, no?
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Yes, of course it's nonsense.

Focus stacking will be done by moving the lens.

Cheers

Brian
    Not completely obvious. Take a look at the motions that the Olympus sensor is capable of in this Imaging Resource video. So z-motion is possible. And this 8-shot option will require use of a tripod to get the 8 shots in registry, so normal image stabilization will be turned off, as it is for the HighRes option on the M5.2.

scott

Post Thanks / Like

Not completely obvious. Take a look at the motions that the Olympus sensor is capable of in this Imaging Resource video. So z-motion is possible. And this 8-shot option will require use of a tripod to get the 8 shots in registry, so normal image stabilization will be turned off, as it is for the HighRes option on the M5.2.

scott
    The sensor doesn't move in the z plane. The Olympus marketing video is off in this one (if it's the video I am thinking). Look for the video demonstration of the physical sensor from one of the Olympus trade shows and you see the sensor can't move in the Z plane. Also consider all the major consequences that would have for the focus plane where the lens projects the image.

No, the sensor doesn't move in Z. I understand the marketing video from Olympus is confusing in this regard because they sure show it as if it could but it doesn't.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think Ricardo is right (again).

This lens focus is quite risky for Olympus I would think, especially for the zooms, even if they are parfocal.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, follow my link and look at the video that was done, not by Olympus, but by the fellow at M43 Rumors. The Olympus marketing video is an animation, but it also shows that the sensor can move out of plane when compensating for pitch and yaw. So z-axis motion is possible. Whether it is a good way to get focus shifts is another question.

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys, follow my link and look at the video that was done, not by Olympus, but by the fellow at M43 Rumors. The Olympus marketing video is an animation, but it also shows that the sensor can move out of plane when compensating for pitch and yaw. So z-axis motion is possible. Whether it is a good way to get focus shifts is another question.

scott
    Thanks scott. Which link? TIA.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks scott. Which link? TIA.
    Mouse over the words "Imaging Resource video" in my first post, and the word "animation" in the second. They are quite nice videos. The BBCode embedding doesn't light up unless you put your cursor on the link title.

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Mouse over the words "Imaging Resource video" in my first post, and the word "animation" in the second. They are quite nice videos. The BBCode embedding doesn't light up unless you put your cursor on the link title.

scott
    Nice videos, but I don't see anything there that would imply the amount of Z axis sensor movement needed to to anything but the most superficial amount of focus stacking with a 60mm Macro lens.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, yet another firmware update for the E-M1. It seems just when I thought all the updates for the E-M1 had finally come to a close, Olympus amazes us with yet another major update.

Is it just me, but with every major update Olympus has released for the E-M1, the camera seems like it has just been upgraded and feels like a new camera in terms of new features.

I am looking forward to testing the focus stacking with my Oly 60mm macro, and 12-40 Pro! One of the best new features is the silent shoot feature! No need for a second body like an E-M5ii for silent shooting.

What is interesting though, with all these feature upgrades, one can only wonder why all these were implemented when they first released the E-M1. It is like teasing us by slowly unlocking unknown hidden features inside the camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    Wow, yet another firmware update for the E-M1. It seems just when I thought all the updates for the E-M1 had finally come to a close, Olympus amazes us with yet another major update.

Is it just me, but with every major update Olympus has released for the E-M1, the camera seems like it has just been upgraded and feels like a new camera in terms of new features.

I am looking forward to testing the focus stacking with my Oly 60mm macro, and 12-40 Pro! One of the best new features is the silent shoot feature! No need for a second body like an E-M5ii for silent shooting.

What is interesting though, with all these feature upgrades, one can only wonder why all these were implemented when they first released the E-M1. It is like teasing us by slowly unlocking unknown hidden features inside the camera.

Thanks for your insights.

I don't think there are unknown hidden features in the E-M1.
    IMHO frankly I takes a lot of effort to develop the firmware for these new features.
    That takes time. The timing for the firmware release - a few weeks before Christmas - seems interesting.
    Olympus needs to sell cameras, E-M1, E-M5II, ... .

What to do if their new camera should even be ready but they are waiting for access to the next generation of sensor chips?
    BTW, Olympus doesn't seem to be the only one in that situation.

Sony has a definitive advantage in this regard, being a major supplier of sensor chips, it seems to me.

Of course, this is all wild speculation on my part.
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 15th September 2015 at 18:28.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless you like to live in a world of conspiracy theory, it's probably not worth consuming your mind with this train of thought.

I think of it like the Voyager 2 space craft. When the trip to the outer solar system was envisioned, the notion of a grand tour all the way to Neptune was brought up but the funding wasn't approved. That didn't matter to the engineers designing the space craft: they built it with all the attention to detail and depth that they could muster for the day. When it launched in 1977 and set out for Jupiter and Saturn, it wasn't going beyond that.

But when Voyager 1 was so successful, and then Voyager 2 was likewise, the funding for the other two planets came through. Voyager 2 had taken quite a beating already: the swivel platform wasn't operating properly, the transceiver was way down on power, etc. To make photographs out beyond Saturn would require long exposure panning to capture good images and the swivel platform couldn't operate smoothly or reliably enough.

So the engineering team, knowing all the bits that went into the space craft, re-qualified all the bits in the lab so that they could reliably pan the cameras by rotating the whole space craft with bursts from the attitude jets that were 1/4 the original minimum burst duration. They just looked at what they had build and found enough overhead to do the job a different way, for Uranus and then for Neptune.

That's how engineers think. Olympus engineers designed the E-M1 as a professional grade camera with a lot of hardware overhead, and a sophisticated enough reprogrammable computer on-board to extend the camera where they might want to go for a period of years. When it launched in late September 2013 (barely two years ago, if you want to believe it!), they envisioned the hardware design lasting a while and being a platform for a nice, long, and somewhat hard to predict, future.

It's a wonderful achievement.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought ...
    What could be the reason for only the three designated lenses (60/2.8, 12-40/2.8, 40-150/2.8) supporting this Focus Stacking feature ?
    Is it their drive mechanism ? Or their close focus distance ?
    F.i. why not the 75/1.8 ?
    Or is it a matter of time we'll see more lenses from the current line-up ?

What's your take ?
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

scott
    Your link was not the Olympus marketing video I thought, but I am not seeing movevemtn along the z-axis in the imaging resource video link. I do see what seems to be some rotation along X & Y plus obvious Z axis, and movement along X &Y but not Z.

Ironically this Olympus marketing video shows it rather well:

https://youtu.be/P0dq9sMcppc

I will try to find the other video I was talking about, about the sensor in the case at one of the camera trade shows, and you can see there's no room for Z translation. Again, consider what that would do to the projection of the image from the lens on the sensor.

BTW, guess why it's called 5-axis and not 6-axis... guess which axis of motion is missing ;-)

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, yet another firmware update for the E-M1.....

I am with Godfrey on this one, and it's exactly like handful have accused Fuji of doing. I am sorry but this train of thought doesn't make any sense. Consider that software development/engineering takes time and development of new algorithms is not a trivial endeavor- takes time and money.

At the same time you have the pressure of time to market.

Olympus traditionally never did this. My money is that Fuji forced their hand competition wise because Fuji developed a track record of doing these firmware upgrades. And you bet the AF system of X-T1 Version 4.0 / X-T10 was not developed by the time the X-T1 first came out.

Neither company is "holding back" anything.

- Ricardo

- - - Updated - - -

Just a thought ...
    What could be the reason for only the three designated lenses (60/2.8, 12-40/2.8, 40-150/2.8) supporting this Focus Stacking feature ?
    Is it their drive mechanism ? Or their close focus distance ?
    F.i. why not the 75/1.8 ?
    Or is it a matter of time we'll see more lenses from the current line-up ?

What's your take ?
    If I had to guess- their image quality, precision. The 60/F2.8 because it's *the* macro lens from Olympus and this feature would be kinda meaningless without it.

Maybe other lenses will follow up but Olympus had to make a choice on priorities.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

From Olympus website:

"“Turning on the OM-D camera energizes a coil and magnet arrangement that causes the image sensor to float in magnetic suspension. This allows the image sensor to move freely, so it can be rotated or moved vertically or horizontally depending on the movement of the camera. It can also be used to compensate for the gentle vibration that occurs when the user is walking, such as when recording video.”
    Read more at http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/12/17/comparison-olympus-sonys-5-axis-stabilization-work/#AvfBoUFYBf1jtf7j.99"

Note that there's no mention of front<-> back movement.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

For image stabilization there is no need for overall z-axis movement, since the lens is rigidly attached and AF is supposed to have gotten the lens-to-chip distnace right. But the two videos I linked show rotations of the chip that take it out of the original image plane, and correcting for pitch and yaw would require that.

But I think Godfrey caught the most important fact. Manually doing focus stacking could involve changing the lens to chip distance by as much as a centimeter, and there is no room for the chip to do that much movement.

I'll read the article that Ricardo points to. Magnetic suspension, huh?

scott

Post Thanks / Like

For image stabilization there is no need for overall z-axis movement, since the lens is rigidly attached and AF is supposed to have gotten the lens-to-chip distnace right. But the two videos I linked show rotations of the chip that take it out of the original image plane, and correcting for pitch and yaw would require that.
    The video shows the sensor rotating a little bit in those axes but not moving along Z. But once again, why do you think it's called 5 axis I is and not 6 axis I is? Look at the Olympus video I linked to you. Look at what Olympus says describing their system.

But I think Godfrey caught the most important fact. Manually doing focus stacking could involve changing the lens to chip distance by as much as a centimeter, and there is no room for the chip to do that much movement.

I'll read the article that Ricardo points to. Magnetic suspension, huh?

scott
    What Godfrey mentions is also true. Again- 5 axis IBIS for a reason. No Z. Olympus doesn't show Z translation and honestly to me neither does the video you linked to. Rotation is not the same as translation.
    Last edited by raist3d; 16th September 2015 at 02:16.