The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

the Olympus Epl1, slow, clusmy, klunky, old....

Lucille

I really like micro 4/3rd, I bought a cheap Epl1 for $100 a few years ago. This Camera is probably the worst or the bottom of the barrel when it comes to micro 4/3rds.

But I don't care, I'll use it anyway.

Olympus Epl1, Panny 14mm f/3.2, ISO200, 1/1600sec.

Lucille

Hi Lucille

It's not the arrow, it's the indian.

Paul

I don't buy into that, sometimes it is the arrow. This camera FAILS miserably for lowlight freezing motion concert shots, unlike my Rx1.

Any camera can make a decent image in nice light, even a cell phone. But turn down the lights with the need to freeze motion, and you need a 'certain' type of arrow.

Hi Again Lucille

I can't disagree with what you said. But, I'm an amateur (no tax write-off), retired and on a fixed income. Lots of big pixels, sentient autofocus and fast glass are above my salary so I make due. Very nice photo by the way.

Paul

k-hawinkler

I still have an E-P2. Same requirement, need good light.
Olympus made sensor- and IBIS-wise a big step forward with the OM-D E-M5.
As they say, the rest is history.

But, of course, there is nothing wrong with using an Epl1 or E-P2 when appropriate. :)

Godfrey

Last time I pulled out the E-PL1, it was dead—IBIS system broken. I paid $90 for it four or five years ago and made a large number of nice photos with it, so I got my money's worth out of it. Junk bin now.

I'm selling off most everything but the Leica gear now, but haven't decided about the E-M1 yet. Although the odds are it'll go too. Wonderful camera, but I want to really lock it down to just the minimums.

G

Lucille

Here I used the Epl1 in the darkness. The orange hue is light contamination coming from the city of Albuquerque. It was plenty dark for these shots.

Epl1, 20mm f/1.7, ISO250, 10sec.

Epl1, 20mm f/1.7, ISO160, 15sec.

Lucille

My 617rwhp Camaro, Chantilly Lace, wondering around the ghost towns of New Mexico.

Epl1, 14mm f/2.5, ISO200, 1/2000sec

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Lucille

It's not the arrow, it's the indian. I shoot an ancient Panasonic G1 and I still like it.

Paul
Can't be repeated too often. I still use my 2006 D2Xs (2004 sensor) for paid work. Nobody's ever asked me what camera I used to take the photos. I still have the GH1 hidden somewhere. Maybe take it out for a spin.

That any mechanical device less than 50 years old can be called slow, clumsy or clunky, unless that were it's characteristics when it was launched, is just a result of our consumerist upbringing. Forget about the camera. It's me and the subject (says the man who uses a D810 as a walk-around point-and-shoot :ROTFL: ).

Ulfric Douglas

I really like micro 4/3rd, I bought a cheap Epl1 for $100 a few years ago. This Camera is probably the worst or the bottom of the barrel when it comes to micro 4/3rds.
:cool: I only just saw this thread and that comment made me chuckle.
Even now, having produced umpteen m4/3rds models from two main manufacturers, the e-pL1 is uniquely gifted and hasn't been improved upon in every area.
It has the best colour (once global WB has been shifted +1 green)
It has bounceable pop-up flash.
There hasn't been another model produced yet with both those features.

Lucille

:cool: I only just saw this thread and that comment made me chuckle.
Even now, having produced umpteen m4/3rds models from two main manufacturers, the e-pL1 is uniquely gifted and hasn't been improved upon in every area.
It has the best colour (once global WB has been shifted +1 green)
It has bounceable pop-up flash.
There hasn't been another model produced yet with both those features.

My OMD EM5 is so vastly superior to the EPL1, it is like comparing a high school football team to a NFL team, a mismatch of epic proportions. The bounceable pop up flash can help in a pinch but it ultimately sucks IMO.