The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Lumix GM5

V

Vivek

Anything that you shoot would be fine.

Happy holidays, Lars and everyone! :)

raist3d

No Punto though, okay?
I think to some extent it can be discussed. You can compare usability and other ergonomics. Sure, the price has to be kept in perspective, but if a particular high priced tool does something for a particular medium other than the expected "bigger sensor/ better IQ" which should not be surprising, I think it can make for some interesting points.

I think (within financial reason) paying the higher price for a tool that does what you want is better than save money on one that is a compromise. In this case for me though, the GM5 is not the compromise- that's mainly due to my desire for both small and non 35mm focals.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Post some pics please. Especially from the compact 35-100 zoom.
I think I posted some already, but I will post more. The photos of the guy above (color & B&W) are with that lens.

- Ricardo

- - - Updated - - -

With Olympus 75mm F1.8

- Ricardo

raist3d

Yep high and low sensitivity setting. Seems to work well - I can't compare as I have not used any other camera with focus peaking.
To add to this:

The GM5 has a special mode that forces the LCD to B&W, so the focus peaking is still in color and stands out better. I was surprised Panasonic thought about this.

I find the manual focus works pretty good. Compared to say the OMD5 MKII- the OMD overall to me is nicier for keeping the LCD at a higher refresh and the IBIS "calms down" the EVF, but the GM5's is still pretty good.

- Ricardo

Lars

Alright - a few snapshots with the 35-100/4-5.6. We got quite a downpour today (keep it coming please) so these are just shots from my patio:

About 3 meters @ 35 mm, wide open:

...and at 100 mm, wide open:

A little closer, 35 mm wide open:

...and at 100 mm:

Finally, at minimum focusing distance. 35 mm:

...and 100 mm:

Being a f/4-5.6 lens on a small sensor you don't get a whole lot of subject isolation. If your subject is 5-10 meters away you can pretty much expect the horizon to almost be in focus. So it's not ideal for sports and action. That said, I think it renders OOF areas quite nicely for close-ups and portraits. This lens obviously is far from a macro lens - minimum focusing distance is not so impressive. However, with a 10 mm extension ring it works quite well especially at the long end where you at least get some distance to the focal plane. IS really helps for handheld macro, of course.

Seascape

I have a GM1, and find the image quality excellent for such a small camera….P&S size with interchangeable lenses.

Image taken with 50 Summicron Ver4 via adapter, also easy to focus as well.

Attachments

raist3d

Judged by you. This is a crop on the 35-100 F4.0-F5.6, so it kinda shows the sharpness of it.

- Ricardo