The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Lumix GM5

raist3d

Shot at a birthday party. RJ Mical's personality goes beyond the frame quite literally.

- Ricardo

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
All combos must be tried. This one was a little front heavy :)

GM5 with Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 @ 150mm, f/2.8, 1/100s and ISO 6400

Seascape

Love my GM1, the best quality P&S sized camera I've come across with interchangeable lens….the skies the limit.

It's smaller than a GM5 with all the same image quality. You can grab images anywhere…….no one notices :cool:

Attachments

raist3d

Love my GM1, the best quality P&S sized camera I've come across with interchangeable lens….the skies the limit.

It's smaller than a GM5 with all the same image quality. You can grab images anywhere…….no one notices :cool:
I would have loved the GM1, but that dial-wheel in the back is completely usability killer for me. I can't believe Panasonic made the world's worst "Canon powershot wheel" though I normally hate these things anyway. ;-) To me that alone is a reason to get the GM5.

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Back from Norway where I didn't have time to take many photos, I found a lens waiting for me at the reception, the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7. It costs nothing and is mostly made from plastic, but seems well put together, and most important of all: It's a great lens for the GM5.

Here's an early test with my usual "brick wall suspects", sitting on the kitchen bench, their usual hangout. I'll use this combo a lot.

GM5 with Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 @ f/1.8

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Who needs that old D810 anyway? And the E-M1... that large, clunky old box... GM5 it is ;)

Jpeg out of the camera. No adjustments except slight brightness and slight sharpening.

GM5 with Panasonic 35-100mm f/4-5.6 @ 35mm and f/5.3

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This is the kit, 510 grams in all:
GM5, 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6, 35-100mm f/4.0-5.6 and 25mm f/1.7.

I might add a portrait lens (Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.7, Zuiko 60mm f/2.8 Macro or Zuiko 75mm f/1.8) later, plus the Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye.

What's fantastic is that the camera, apart from the size, basically has a user interface and sensor technology more or less on level with any other m4/3 camera. There's no excuse not to take decent photos with this kit. Video is pretty good too :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
And since I've already posted a selfie in hopeless lighting, here's a bokeh test from the restaurant later in the evening, in even worse lighting. Bokeh is nice though, particularly considering this is a $200 plastic lens :)

GM5 with Pana 25mm f/1.7 @ f/1.7

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I cannot say that my GAS is permanently killed, but with the current state of affairs, it's increasingly difficult to find rational arguments for buying new, expensive gear. When I look at the sharpness, colours, contrast and to a certain degree even bokeh that I'm able to achieve with the $400 GM5 and the $200, collapsible Pana 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6, a combo that weighs well under 300 grams including battery and SD-card and that includes a decent viewfinder, I wonder if I'll ever need a big, clunky box between my hands again.

I might buy a GX85 to get IBIS, an articulated LCD and 4K video, but beyond that... I don't know. During the last two days that I spent in Yangon, the E-M1 and 40-150mm f/2.8 didn't even leave the camera bag.

GM5 with Pana 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 18mm and f/4.2 (wide open)

100%, lower right corner, no sharpening: