The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Lumix GM5

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There's something otherworldly about North Vietnam. The nationalistic communist spirit is still very much present, although it's being deluted by consumerism, corruption and money interests these days. These fishermen are at the losing end. Their beach is a popular tourist destination, and property developers are queueing up to throw them out. Parts of the beach has already been destroyed by luxury homes and boring resorts.

GM5 with Pana 25mm f/1.7 @ f/5.6

raist3d

This is really really sad. It's amazing that a group of people with money have no regard for who they are displacing etc.

Took this on the way home today

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The GM5 is getting close to being my most used camera, simply because it goes with me everywhere. A week ago, I visited that dangerous place with many cameras and lenses for sale and.... they had a mint, second hand Zuiko 12mm on the shelf.

Long story short: This might be the most perfect camera lens combo I've ever used. That lens will not leave the GM5 for a while. I actually consider buying another GM5 body for use with other lenses.

And here's the usual "brick wall shot" (yes, they went directly from the swimming pool to the restaurant):

GM5 with Zuiko 12mm f/2 @ f/2

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
GM5 with Zuiko 12mm f/2 @ f/2.5

Love this combo. This is what photography is all about, my photography anyway. It's taken me a couple of years to get used to the small size, but I'm starting to feel that I'm back to where I were with the Olympus OM-1.

Now I've started looking for another GM5 to use with the 25mm :facesmack:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My second GM5 arrived today, bought lightly used from a fellow member. I'm downsizing my kit considerably, and selling most of my zoom lenses. My standard 2 x GM5 kit will consist of 7.5mm/2.0, 12mm/2.0, 25mm/1.7, 30mm/2.8 Macro, 42.5mm/1.7 and 75mm/1.8. The 7.5, 30 and 42.5mm are still on the shopping list. The weight of the whole kit, 2 bodies, 5 batteries and 6 lenses, will be somewhere around 1.5 kg.

GM5 with OM Zuiko 50mm f/2 Macro @ f/4

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Colombo, some famous temple.

This camera and lens are like made for each other. Fantastic combo, and as wide as I mostly need.

raist3d

Colombo, some famous temple.

This camera and lens are like made for each other. Fantastic combo, and as wide as I mostly need.

Which lens? The 25 f1.7 penny. Always wondered how that compares to the Olympus 25 f1.8

By the way I got a gx9 for a couple of months now. I’ll post something when I can but it was a pure gas acquisition. No excuses.

I feel I betrayed something of me for not keeping using the gm5 as my main. I love the gx9 sensor but I love the gm5 body still. And 0anasonic really won’t do more of that body type. Darn it

Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Which lens? The 25 f1.7 penny. Always wondered how that compares to the Olympus 25 f1.8

By the way I got a gx9 for a couple of months now. I’ll post something when I can but it was a pure gas acquisition. No excuses.

I feel I betrayed something of me for not keeping using the gm5 as my main. I love the gx9 sensor but I love the gm5 body still. And 0anasonic really won’t do more of that body type. Darn it

Ricardo
That image was taken with the Zuiko 12mm f/2, but I mostly carry two GM5 bodies now (one recently acquired), one with the Zuiko 12mm and one with the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7. The Panasonic lacks a bit in microcontrast, which is to be axpected for a less than $200 lens, but sharpness is very even across the frame, and a little USM in post makes the images "pop". The third body in my kit is the GX8 with the Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, plus I carry the Panasonic 100-300mm II and sometimes a Panasonic 14-42mm for lazy moments.

Here's the same motive, more or less, with the 25mm @ f/2:

GM5 with Pana 25mm f/1.7 @ f/2

I'm not sure why I shoot at f/2 instead of f/1.7. Sharpness and contrast is more or less the same.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Blue hour, forgot to open up, and still the camera gives me a usable portrait. For around 1% of the price of that new 150MP Phase 1.

GM5 with Pana 25mm f/1.7 @ f/2.8, 1/24s and ISO 3200

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Always bring professional gear for important jobs :ROTFL:

GM5 with Panasonic 35-100mm f/4-5.6 @ 40mm and f/7.1

GM5 with Panasonic 35-100mm f/4-5.6 @ 80mm and f/7.1

raist3d

Sometimes I wonder if I should just stick with the GM5 for a few years and *NOT BUY* anything else. Took it for a spin with tracking AF last night and I was shocked how well it did. Moreover, DXO Photo Lab 3 still yields amazing raws with it.

- Ricardo

DHart

I haven't been to this site in a very long time. Glad to be visiting here again.

This thread has prompted me to dust off my very-little used GM5 and a few small lenses (9-18, 7-14 (not so small), 12-32, 12-35, 12/2, 15, 17, 45/1.8) and put it to use. I'm glad I have held onto the GM5 over the years, as we will probably never see such a camera in this system ever again.

I have a photo that I took some time ago with the little 12-32 that amazed me with the sharpness.

I've been wedded to my GX8 and Leica 12-60/2.8-4 (incredible image making combination) for several years now, but I have the little GM5, a GX7, a Pen-F, an E-PL5 waiting patiently for me to put the GX8 down. :ROTFL:

Great stuff here; especially inspired by your images with the GM5, Jorgen. :thumbup:

DHart

This is the photo I mentioned above, taken with the diminutive 12-32 lens.

And a crop from that image, which surprised me with the sharp detail from this tiny, inexpensive lens.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The old GM5 is dying. Viewfinder is washed out, sometimes it won't accept the card, internal battery is dead, battery hatch is broken... but image quality is still great.

Photo taken today at a location just 40 minutes out of downtown Bangkok, totally deserted except for some local fishermen. Great to get some fresh air after two weeks at home.

GM5 with Pana 25mm f/1.7 @ f/2.8