Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 160

Thread: The Digital Pen F

  1. #101
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Isn't every camera purchase a "maybe"?
    No, it's not. I am specifically talking about "maybe they will update the firmware upgrade later to add/fix XXXX" and then purchasing the camera based on that.

    Maybe this will fit my style? Maybe the lenses are as good as they say? Maybe the high ISO noise is tolerable? Maybe I can afford to expand this system? Maybe I should invest in 3rd party lenses? Etc, etc, etc...?
    No, not at all. One is a real product you can test and exists, for which reviews exist. The other one is a wish of an upgrade for a fix of something broken or addition of a feature. Very different things.

    Of course, you can make your purchase decisions completely blind and without any data if you chose to do so, but it still doesn't change the point above.

    - Ricardo

  2. #102
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    No, it's not. I am specifically talking about "maybe they will update the firmware upgrade later to add/fix XXXX" and then purchasing the camera based on that.
    I am not buying this camera because of an unannounced firmware update, I am buying it because it appears to fit my needs as it is. If they fix/correct its quirks with a firmware update, great! If not, it doesn't alter the way I plan to use it.

    The firmware issue in question is moot because TCSTV had a camera with pre-release firmware and ran off to review it based on the word of a marketing person (who probably doesn't know how to hold a camera).

    Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    No, not at all. One is a real product you can test and exists, for which reviews exist. The other one is a wish of an upgrade for a fix of something broken or addition of a feature. Very different things.

    Of course, you can make your purchase decisions completely blind and without any data if you chose to do so, but it still doesn't change the point above.

    - Ricardo
    Even if you research the shiitake mushrooms out of it, buying a camera is still a maybe until you get it in your hands and personally see if it meets your needs.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #103
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    For me if I decide to buy the PenF it will be mainly on what I know so far and how the camera felt while holding and shooting it. While I am confident that Olympus will update the FW in order to meet all functions as required, I could even do without AFC for example, as I would mostly need quick and reliable AFS in all lighting conditions, which the PenF seems to deliver already as I have seen it.

    My main concern is still a totally different one, I kind of still feel hooked by the Fuji XPro2, which rings even more bells for me, except that it means to start a 3rd system again (besides Nikon FF and Olympus m43 in my case). This fight is still ongoing

  4. #104
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    I am aware of that. You did mention it before. I meant that the A setting has the placebo effect of not having to worry about the aperture setting by leaving it there.
    Ow sorry, Carlos. I must have misunderstood your remark, but as said it really doesn't matter.
    Kind regards.
    Bart ...

  5. #105
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Bart,
    thanks for the links, however they don't drop me on the specific post you were trying to show me. This may be entirely my browser as I use Firefox.

    Beyond that, the image you attached did come up and I took a good look at it and to me it looks more like noise from the ISO 1600 you were using on the EM-1, than a nervous bokeh. Maybe I am more tolerant than you are, who knows? This is art anyway and is very subjective. I do like the way this lens draws.
    Hi Carlos,

    let's try these two links then: CA and OOF
    Can't and won't argue about the way this lens draws ...

    All the best.
    Bart ...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  6. #106
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Hi Carlos,

    let's try these two links then: CA and OOF
    Can't and won't argue about the way this lens draws ...

    All the best.
    These two look gorgeous IMHO!
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #107
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    These two look gorgeous IMHO!
    Arrgh ! You guys are hopeless. Well go on then - buy one ...
    Bart ...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #108
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Hi Carlos,

    let's try these two links then: CA and OOF
    Can't and won't argue about the way this lens draws ...

    All the best.
    Actually, I see the CA you are talking about. Lightroom couldn't correct it?
    I get what you mean about the bokeh, it looks like grain even at ISO 200.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

  9. #109
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    I am not buying this camera because of an unannounced firmware update, I am buying it because it appears to fit my needs as it is. If they fix/correct its quirks with a firmware update, great! If not, it doesn't alter the way I plan to use it.
    That's great. I am only commenting on some of the comments I read to that effect in general.

    The firmware issue in question is moot because TCSTV had a camera with pre-release firmware and ran off to review it based on the word of a marketing person (who probably doesn't know how to hold a camera).
    That aspect yes, but that doesn't invalidate what I said, since it was said in the context of the TCSTV review being valid.

    Even if you research the shiitake mushrooms out of it, buying a camera is still a maybe until you get it in your hands and personally see if it meets your needs.
    To some degree - it really depends. Depends if you are familiar with the brand, the model, if you tried it, etc. I don't see the risk anywhere near nor this maybe in the same class or even universe as someone buying something because they think a firmware upgrade later on will fix or introduce a feature. Not in the same league.

    - Ricardo

  10. #110
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Arrgh ! You guys are hopeless. Well go on then - buy one ...
    I want to see one. What I am looking at that could be of benefit is

    - new sensor (a tad better ISO, better color - don't care about the resolution except where it helps to make the noise/iso look better)
    - smallest camera with 5-axis IBIS of Olympus
    - EV compensation in Manual mode - this to me an issue only because Olympus does not meter as good as the Nikon 1/ Fuji XT10. If they did, I wouldn't feel like I needed it.
    - JPEG engine

    I want to see it in person and see how small "it feels." I am starting to get doubts it would feel "small enough" as I would like so in that case, skip. The other thing is that the JPEG engine seems very nice but as the ISO climb, I would probably still prefer to use a raw converter.

    Seems like I will be stuck with the Panny GM line.

    - Ricardo

  11. #111
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    I want to see one. What I am looking at that could be of benefit is

    - new sensor (a tad better ISO, better color - don't care about the resolution except where it helps to make the noise/iso look better)
    - smallest camera with 5-axis IBIS of Olympus
    - EV compensation in Manual mode - this to me an issue only because Olympus does not meter as good as the Nikon 1/ Fuji XT10. If they did, I wouldn't feel like I needed it.
    - JPEG engine

    I want to see it in person and see how small "it feels." I am starting to get doubts it would feel "small enough" as I would like so in that case, skip. The other thing is that the JPEG engine seems very nice but as the ISO climb, I would probably still prefer to use a raw converter.

    Seems like I will be stuck with the Panny GM line.

    - Ricardo
    I'd rather write "how big it feels" : from camera size comparator, they will be very slightly bigger than the E-P3-5 line, but bigger than the two Panasonic GF8 and Gm1

    http://camerasize.com/compact/#654.3...3,491.383,ha,t

  12. #112
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    804
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Ok, this is not the answer to everything but still interesting how the new 20MP mft sensor (in this case with the GX8) compares to larger ones.Review: Fuji X-Pro2 - High Tech. Not bad, I'd say. And frankly, I had higher hopes for Fuji's new 24MP sensor.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #113
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    Ok, this is not the answer to everything but still interesting how the new 20MP mft sensor (in this case with the GX8) compares to larger ones.Review: Fuji X-Pro2 - High Tech. Not bad, I'd say. And frankly, I had higher hopes for Fuji's new 24MP sensor.
    Even more interesting is the RAW noise analysis:



    Where the GX8 (and presumably the Pen F) actually keep up with the Sony A7 II. This is going to be very interesting for me...
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #114
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Well I have begun to acquire my Pen-F kit. The body will be the last part. Tally ho!
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #115
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Well I have begun to acquire my Pen-F kit. The body will be the last part. Tally ho!
    Congrats ! But tell us in detail what is the first part ...
    Bart ...

  16. #116
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Congrats ! But tell us in detail what is the first part ...
    Bart,
    I decided to stick with the Olympus lenses and I ordered the 25mm f/1.8 plus a 3rd party metal hood (1/8 the price of the Oly hood). I ordered the grip because I have big hands and I found an inexpensive (smallish) kit bag on Amazon. A couple more gigs and paychecks and the black body will be ordered.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

  17. #117
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Bart,
    I decided to stick with the Olympus lenses and I ordered the 25mm f/1.8 plus a 3rd party metal hood (1/8 the price of the Oly hood). I ordered the grip because I have big hands and I found an inexpensive (smallish) kit bag on Amazon. A couple more gigs and paychecks and the black body will be ordered.
    Excellent. According to the rumour mill Oly is due to announce any time soon some very exciting fast f1.2 lenses.
    So safe some dough ...

    Kind regards.
    Bart ...

  18. #118
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Excellent. According to the rumour mill Oly is due to announce any time soon some very exciting fast f1.2 lenses.
    So safe some dough ...

    Kind regards.
    What is any time soon? Just curious

  19. #119
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    What is any time soon? Just curious
    Patience, grasshopper ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 12.29.06.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	116657  
    Bart ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #120
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Patience, grasshopper ...
    This sounds great indeed! Looking forward what focal length they will introduce first

  21. #121
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Now that Iridient Digital supports Pen-F files, I downloaded a few and played with them. Looks like the highlight recovery is pretty decent- or the metering got better, but I think overall it improved as I see good shadow recovery and highlight recovery. Also the chroma noise seems somehow more controlled- at least that nasty OMD EM5 MKII sensor blue channel noise seems better.

    So the fact the camera can do EV compensation now in Auto ISO/Manual has me interested but I still give priority to very small. I want to wait to see what's Panasonic's next move regarding the GM line which they should announce something soon.

    - Ricardo
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  22. #122
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    Now that Iridient Digital supports Pen-F files, I downloaded a few and played with them. Looks like the highlight recovery is pretty decent- or the metering got better, but I think overall it improved as I see good shadow recovery and highlight recovery. Also the chroma noise seems somehow more controlled- at least that nasty OMD EM5 MKII sensor blue channel noise seems better.

    So the fact the camera can do EV compensation now in Auto ISO/Manual has me interested but I still give priority to very small. I want to wait to see what's Panasonic's next move regarding the GM line which they should announce something soon.

    - Ricardo
    Ricardo,

    great to hear that the PenF (sensor and processing) seem to make for improved IQ while increasing the resolution. As size is not so important for me, this camera becomes even more interesting

    Thanks for this update

    Peter
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  23. #123
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    I wonder how long it will take the rest of the RAW converters to catch up to Irident?
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

  24. #124
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Here's a bit of fun: A Camereasize comparison of the Sigma sd Quattro H, Leica SL, & Pen-F all sporting fast 50's or their equivalent.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fast 50s.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	392.8 KB 
ID:	116730
    And this is without hoods...
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #125
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Crikey - that Sigma is a giant, even bigger than the SL ...
    However, the Oly is just a midget ...
    Bart ...

  26. #126
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Crikey - that Sigma is a giant, even bigger than the SL ...
    However, the Oly is just a midget ...
    And I happen to be saving up to hire a capable, good looking midget!
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #127
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    DPreview has now issued the full review of the Pen F. Here is the link to their conclusion :

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-pen-f/12

  28. #128
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Its now available in switzerland - got a black one.... wonder how it is in practical use :-)
    I will certainly report back in a few days...

    JPH
    olympusstuff nikonstuff fujistuff variousstuff
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #129
    Member marlof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Today I've received a new stylus for my turntable, and a Pen-F in silver. Thought I'd combine the two.


    New Camera, Same Old Song by Marlof Bregonje, on Flickr

    Now comes the time of finding out what's to like and not to like. Until Lightroom adds RAW support, I'll have to rely on JPEGs. In that light: I really like the front dial...
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  30. #130
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Hmm
    I've got mine too - preliminary response is positive - it's rather a sweety.
    More later

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  31. #131
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    804
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Should receive mine tomorrow, it will be the black one.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #132
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    I promised some first impressions...

    Reminds me my old Leica IIIa - but thats subjective... (but the finder is better :-) )
    For me it is the perfect go everywhere camera, light, fast...
    Battery holds well the distance
    Finder is good, but is sometimes a little bit "slow" when moving the camera
    Display is nice
    Front dial does definetly not disturb my fingers
    jpg's are ok, raw with iridient looks good
    colors are nice
    I regret that the color and mono presets (1,2,3...) alow not to have the black frame like the art presets
    I regret that one can not control the grain in the art bw presets
    AF is plenty fast
    White balance.. well , ok but not more
    Menu as usual

    Global impression: thats a nice one - i like it!

    Hopefully i have some time soon to produce some pics...

    All the best

    JPH
    olympusstuff nikonstuff fujistuff variousstuff
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #133
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    I promised some first impressions...

    Reminds me my old Leica IIIa - but thats subjective... (but the finder is better :-) )
    For me it is the perfect go everywhere camera, light, fast...
    Battery holds well the distance
    Finder is good, but is sometimes a little bit "slow" when moving the camera
    The CameraStoreTV review touched on this, but they had pre-release firmware in the end. This is one area that concerns me because if the camera is for street life, I want a pretty real time EVF. Fuji is there already and so is Sony now.

    If the lag is like the OMD EM5 MKII, it's O-K. If it's worse than that, then that's bad in my book. At least for my use. I wonder if the LCD lag matches the EVF lag.

    Display is nice
    Front dial does definetly not disturb my fingers
    jpg's are ok, raw with iridient looks good
    colors are nice
    I regret that the color and mono presets (1,2,3...) alow not to have the black frame like the art presets
    I regret that one can not control the grain in the art bw presets
    AF is plenty fast
    White balance.. well , ok but not more
    Menu as usual

    Global impression: thats a nice one - i like it!

    Hopefully i have some time soon to produce some pics...

    All the best

    JPH
    - Ricardo

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by marlof View Post
    Today I've received a new stylus for my turntable, and a Pen-F in silver. Thought I'd combine the two.
    Pretty clean/nice looking jpeg, more so from the 17mm F1.8 which isn't supposed to be as sharp as some of the other primes.

    - Ricardo

  34. #134
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    The CameraStoreTV review touched on this, but they had pre-release firmware in the end. This is one area that concerns me because if the camera is for street life, I want a pretty real time EVF. Fuji is there already and so is Sony now.

    If the lag is like the OMD EM5 MKII, it's O-K. If it's worse than that, then that's bad in my book. At least for my use. I wonder if the LCD lag matches the EVF lag.


    Pretty clean/nice looking jpeg, more so from the 17mm F1.8 which isn't supposed to be as sharp as some of the other primes.

    - Ricardo
    -> this observation was done in dim light, in daylight it a non-issue
    -> I d'ont have the 17mm, only 25 and 45mm

    rgds
    JPH
    olympusstuff nikonstuff fujistuff variousstuff
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  35. #135
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    -> this observation was done in dim light, in daylight it a non-issue
    -> I d'ont have the 17mm, only 25 and 45mm

    rgds
    JPH
    I was referring to Marlof on the 17mm. So ok, I will still look for lag during daylight (compared vs the OMD EM5 MKII).

    - Ricardo

  36. #136
    Member marlof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Agreed, the lag is only noticeable in dim light. In decent light it's not an issue.
    And I think the 17 1.8 is underrated. Also by me. I found that I grabbed the 25 1.4 or even the 20 1.7 before this one. Since Olympus decided on the 17 as kit lens, I decided to use mine (silver, not black) more, to see if I was missing out on something. What I like is the ability for close focus and the very speedy auto focus. What I don't like is a more sterile look compared to the 25 and 20. Not bad, just different.

  37. #137
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    So what happened? At least three people have the Pen-F and no shots...



    Come on! :-)

    - Ricardo

  38. #138
    Member marlof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    This is a camera to fondle, not to actually use to take photos.... J/k, will post some later.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  39. #139
    Member marlof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    All JPEG, almost no tweaking in post.

    School building; Monochrome Profile 1 with a strong red filter. No Film Grain set in the profile, but the filter added quite a bit. Would have preferred things coming out cleaner.


    Bonnefanten College 1 by Marlof Bregonje, on Flickr

    The next was shot in Color Profile 1, no film grain.


    Moss by Marlof Bregonje, on Flickr

    Also in Color Profile 1, no film grain.


    Beatrixhof by Marlof Bregonje, on Flickr
    Last edited by marlof; 2nd March 2016 at 23:48.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  40. #140
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    So what happened? At least three people have the Pen-F and no shots...



    Come on! :-)

    - Ricardo
    pics will come... but as i have no cat available......

    JP
    olympusstuff nikonstuff fujistuff variousstuff
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  41. #141
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Could get a moment during lunch time - 3 samples:
    Art 1/II
    Art 5/II
    Mono 2 medium grain, slightly modified curve





    olympusstuff nikonstuff fujistuff variousstuff
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  42. #142
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    and two more...



    olympusstuff nikonstuff fujistuff variousstuff
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  43. #143
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    and the same through iridient and silver fx

    olympusstuff nikonstuff fujistuff variousstuff
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  44. #144
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Just ordered mine from Adorama. Next week I will have something for you to look at Ricardo.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  45. #145
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    This seems to be a success for Olympus already. I've seen several "in the wild" in the Middle East and in Southeast Asia the last couple of weeks.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  46. #146
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    This seems to be a success for Olympus already. I've seen several "in the wild" in the Middle East and in Southeast Asia the last couple of weeks.
    The Facebook Group I Admin certainly is seeing a bit of activity.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

  47. #147
    Member bifi25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    some ideas? :-)
    Leica M240, Leica M8, EOS 6D, Fuji X100F, Sony RX100 IV, Sigma DP2M, Voigtländer Super-Wide Heliar 15mm 4.5 III, Fuji WCL-X100, Leica Elmarit-M 28mm 2.8, EF 24-70mm 2.8 L II USM, 35mm 2.0 IS USM, Canon 50mm 1.8 STM, Summilux-M 50mm 1.4 Asph., Summarit-M 90mm 2.5, EF 70-200mm 2.8 L IS USM II
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  48. #148
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    The one thing I don't like in the Pen-F is that it has a smaller EVF than the E-M5II.
    Also, I'm not a fan of the completely retro look. I used to like my white E-P3 and I like the Sony A7r more contemporary design.

    If this camera had been issued instead of the first E-M5, I would have happily got one, because I like the EVF standing at the left in a rectangular shaped body.

    But for me, it comes about three years too late.

  49. #149
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    The one thing I don't like in the Pen-F is that it has a smaller EVF than the E-M5II.
    Also, I'm not a fan of the completely retro look. I used to like my white E-P3 and I like the Sony A7r more contemporary design.

    If this camera had been issued instead of the first E-M5, I would have happily got one, because I like the EVF standing at the left in a rectangular shaped body.

    But for me, it comes about three years too late.
    I can totally see your point of view. I agree those are valid reasons (in your context).

    I am still looking at the PenF for being the smallest camera with the Olympus IBIS, the new sensor (I really want the new sensor), and that it can do EV compensation in Manual mode (Finally!)- to be able to tame the DR range of m43rds better to the shot.

    But I am still waiting to see Panasonic's move.

    - Ricardo

  50. #150
    Member bifi25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Digital Pen F

    PEN-F + Summilux-M 50mm
    Leica M240, Leica M8, EOS 6D, Fuji X100F, Sony RX100 IV, Sigma DP2M, Voigtländer Super-Wide Heliar 15mm 4.5 III, Fuji WCL-X100, Leica Elmarit-M 28mm 2.8, EF 24-70mm 2.8 L II USM, 35mm 2.0 IS USM, Canon 50mm 1.8 STM, Summilux-M 50mm 1.4 Asph., Summarit-M 90mm 2.5, EF 70-200mm 2.8 L IS USM II
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •