The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Digital Pen F

zensu

It's not that big and more dials means less menu diving.
Bobby
Here's a new Pen F with an E-P5 overlay as a size guide.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I fear that the newly announced Fuji XPro2 might bring me completely out of m43 territory :eek:

Annna T

I fear that the newly announced Fuji XPro2 might bring me completely out of m43 territory :eek:
It has only a fixed LCD and is rather slow with liveview on. The fixed LCD would be a no no for me.

But the Pen F looks good with its 20 MB. But I will probably wait for a 20MP E-M5.

V

Vivek

It has only a fixed LCD and is rather slow with liveview on. The fixed LCD would be a no no for me.
Regressive. There is a niche market for it. They will run this edition for another few years with FW upgrades every 3 months to keep the fans interested. :LOL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I was always tempted by the E-P5, but the lack of viewfinder kept me from buying it. My guess is that this camera will have very high specs, like the E-P5, including their best and most advance IBIS and 4K video. They really have no choice if it's going to compete with the Panasonic GX8 on one side and the Fuji X-Pro2 on the other. There might also be a Nikon V4 later this year, and although the Nikon sensor is smaller, their V cameras are very nice, little cameras too.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member

But the Pen F looks good with its 20 MB. But I will probably wait for a 20MP E-M5.
Liveview was sure slow in the XPro1, but this should have changed completely with the XPro2. The fixed LCD is something which I also do not like, but there will be soon a XT2, which will have articulating LCD and also 4k. Have you shot an XTRANS sensor once? There are really remarkable differences in IQ, color and sharpness to whatever sensor I have used so far out of m43 section :D

WRT 20MP sensor of the upcoming PenF, this is for sure a nice upgrade for m43 but already lags behind state of the art resolution in 2016 at the time of its introduction. I would not even care that it is 20MP, but if I start cropping to 3:2, then this results in something around 17-18MP again and this is not what I want. And unfortunately my taste for optimum general aspect ratio has changed pretty much towards 3:2.

The 20MP EM5 will only come after the 20MP EM1markII, which will be most probably not before spring 2017, as the EM1 will likely be announced at Photokina 2016.

- - - Updated - - -

Who says you only have to buy one :ROTFL:
You are unfortunately soo right :eek:

raist3d

I see a few things I like but some things I potentially don't

What I like
- Tone curve gets its own dedicated lever (see photo of the back, just below PASM wheel).
- Front wheel is to change between ART/color/mono/something. Reminds me of the Pentax Q with 1, 2, 3 presets. It's about time Olympus did this because having ART filters as part of the PASM wheel never made sense to me.
- We get an EV compensation dial also. Hopefully this means Manual Auto ISO with EV compensation.
- We know are are getting the new Sony 20 MP GX8 m43rds sensor

Lingering questions
- Weather sealed?
- IBIS capability at what level?
- Will it be the first to implement Olympus super resolution in 1/60? That would be something if it can

My disappointment - it's a bit big. I would have loved to be this the counterpart to the GM5, but given it's not that small, I am not sure what's the advantage as a model-line vs the OMD M's.

To me the EV compensation with Auto ISO in Manual (if it has it) would be tempting but I am afraid if the size is ballpark and OMD5 MKII it doesn't buy me anything new over the GM5 line which is what I want- smaller. Or new over the OMD EM5 MKII that I use for paid work.

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My disappointment - it's a bit big. I would have loved to be this the counterpart to the GM5, but given it's not that small, I am not sure what's the advantage as a model-line vs the OMD M's.

- Ricardo
If it's anything like the E-P5, it will be relatively flat without a lens. That means being able to to pack it in a very small space, something that isn't possible with the E-M1. I would expect specs similar to those of the E-M1, but with new features added and with 4K video. I'm starting to see this as a possible option for me, rather than the new Fuji. It will be smaller, cheaper and I still have some m4/3 stuff plus it will be a nice companion for the GM5 or vice versa.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If it's anything like the E-P5, it will be relatively flat without a lens. That means being able to to pack it in a very small space, something that isn't possible with the E-M1. I would expect specs similar to those of the E-M1, but with new features added and with 4K video. I'm starting to see this as a possible option for me, rather than the new Fuji. It will be smaller, cheaper and I still have some m4/3 stuff plus it will be a nice companion for the GM5 or vice versa.
4K video definitely not, "only" have 4K timelaps. Just got feedback from my dealer, who had a presentation about the PenF earlier today from Olympus.

4K is definitely not a big deal for me as I am a happy camper for HD video over the next years anyway (glad to learn video now and not have to handle the huge 4k amount of data).

WRT size it is much smaller than the XPro2 - similar size to EM10, rather smaller.

The PenF would mean for me that I could remain in the m43 ecosystem .... well I think I wait anyway, too many cameras currently popping up making decisions too complicated :cool:

Last edited:

retow

Nice camera, too pricey at launch and no weather sealing. But if one prefers RF gestalt and the GM5 is too small and the GX8 too big, the Pen could be the solution. Although with grip it might be almost as bulky as the GX8 is.

Slingers

I really like the size and features of this camera and its BW ability judging by the early SOOC examples. But as a non m43 user the price is a little surprising. Since I would have buy into the system it's a camera I'm going to keep an eye on the specials of or even wait until the replacement is announced.

dhsimmonds

It's a street photographers dream camera, but for me I just can't see it with a 100-400 Panaleica on the front! It doesn't have dual IS either. I do like it's small size and the location and retro but useful knurled dials etc. The vari angle LCD is a dream even it it's a dream with a high price tag.:(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuWZjEJU1P8
At 1K GBP (£1000) It is not cheap compared with the albeit larger Panasonic GX8 which uses the same sensor and has dual IS and 4K video.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here in Thailand, the price difference up to a Nikon Df is $600. I've hardly ever seen better reason to buy a Df :chug:

Actually, a new D610 costs the same as the Pen F.

Oh, and the shop has a used Df for sale for exactly the same price as the Pen F :D

I'd better hide my credit card :lecture: