The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Digital Pen F

Annna T

What I want to know is when Olympus are going to come out with the digital Olympus XA.

It must be a capsule camera with a small add on flash.

LouisB
I do still have one ! But it has got a light leak.. So I don't use it anymore. Don't use film either, although I have kept my Contax G2 and five lenses. Scanning is way to long compared to digital bodies.

scho

I do still have one ! But it has got a light leak.. So I don't use it anymore. Don't use film either, although I have kept my Contax G2 and five lenses. Scanning is way to long compared to digital bodies.
Ii also have a G2 with set of lenses. The 35, 45, and 90 work well on the E-M5 II if you don't mind dealing with a screw drive MF adapter (or you can also get an M mount conversion with focusing helicoid). Too bad TechArt doesn't have an m43 version of their AF adapter.

biglouis

I had one for many years and travelled the world with it. It easily allowed A3 size reprints. A few months ago I bought one for my soon-to-be daughter-in-law as a surprise present. She loves it and is producing some very nice photographs. I figured she should use film at least once in her life. I also just unearthed my Olympus mju-1 (I believe it was called the Stylus in the US) and I will give it to her to play with as well.

LouisB

etrigan63

PS: Everyone saying "Software is now getting updated/that's the trend" and then considering buying the camera based on that, I say you are kinda nuts :) $1,200 USD is too much to pay in my book for a may-be.
Isn't every camera purchase a "maybe"? Maybe this will fit my style? Maybe the lenses are as good as they say? Maybe the high ISO noise is tolerable? Maybe I can afford to expand this system? Maybe I should invest in 3rd party lenses? Etc, etc, etc...?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Isn't every camera purchase a "maybe"? Maybe this will fit my style? Maybe the lenses are as good as they say? Maybe the high ISO noise is tolerable? Maybe I can afford to expand this system? Maybe I should invest in 3rd party lenses? Etc, etc, etc...?
You are totally right and given all the money I sunk so far in my life in different camera(systems) the price of the PenF is just negligible - at least for me.

I am pretty sure that Olympus will have FW updates asap improving lot of areas of the PenF, of course also AFC. But actually I do not care too much about AFC, as I use AFC mainly for wildlife and action, which is not the main area I would use the PenF for. I think there are so many great things the PenF does right, that one should not draw it to death just because of one not so perfect area.

Annna T

You are totally right and given all the money I sunk so far in my life in different camera(systems) the price of the PenF is just negligible - at least for me.

I am pretty sure that Olympus will have FW updates asap improving lot of areas of the PenF, of course also AFC. But actually I do not care too much about AFC, as I use AFC mainly for wildlife and action, which is not the main area I would use the PenF for. I think there are so many great things the PenF does right, that one should not draw it to death just because of one not so perfect area.
Personnally, I like the form factor very much. The totally retro look, less so. If I hadn't got the E-M5II, I'd be very interested in a Pen with an integrated VF. While I liked the Pens, the optional VF was a nuisance to store. With the Pen F I could put it in a little bag which I like very much and which is too straight for the E-M5II. But one thing would draw me back : from what I have read the VF is smaller than that of the E-M5II. This is a serious disadvantage IMO. I will wait for the serious reviews made with a production camera and see whether the 20MB are producing so much better results than the E-M5. For the moment I have rather decided against it. It is what I have wanted a long time ago, but it is coming too late. Also : I don't expect much improvement from the increased pixels of the sensor; going from 16 up to 20 will make less difference than the upgrade from 12 to 16. Mainly because then the 12MB sensor had a lot of noise.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Personnally, I like the form factor very much. The totally retro look, less so. If I hadn't got the E-M5II, I'd be very interested in a Pen with an integrated VF. While I liked the Pens, the optional VF was a nuisance to store. With the Pen F I could put it in a little bag which I like very much and which is too straight for the E-M5II. But one thing would draw me back : from what I have read the VF is smaller than that of the E-M5II. This is a serious disadvantage IMO. I will wait for the serious reviews made with a production camera and see whether the 20MB are producing so much better results than the E-M5. For the moment I have rather decided against it. It is what I have wanted a long time ago, but it is coming too late. Also : I don't expect much improvement from the increased pixels of the sensor; going from 16 up to 20 will make less difference than the upgrade from 12 to 16. Mainly because then the 12MB sensor had a lot of noise.
I am quite in the same boat as you, I owned the EP2 and the EP3 and while I liked these cameras a lot, I never could get friend with the external EVF, so I sold them. And then as soon as the original EM5 became available I bought it and really loved this camera, so much that I then bought the EM1 some 3 years ago and this became my workhorse camera.

I am actually kind of waiting for the EM1mark2 which should be released later this year as I really love the ergonomics of the EM1 and hope they will be similar or better from the new model. But the PenF is also the camera I was waiting for long time, a Pen with integrated EVF. Now as it arrived it even brings a new 20MP sensor, which according to Olympus delivers better high ISO and DR than the old 16MP sensors, but same time with higher resolution. Sure it is a good idea to wait for more reviews, but I will do my own tests as soon as I can get a camera for more time to shoot some RAWs and see how they hold up to my expectations im my main RAW converters - LR6 and C1Pro. But I am confident this will be ok.

Now WRT EVF of the PenF, I know the size of the EM1 EVF, which has the same magnification as in the EM5II and for me the slightly smaller PenF EVF was no problem at all. Especially as the whole camera is smaller and this new EVF employs now finally an OLED display, which is much better than the old LCD display, which is used in the EM1 and EM5II. Better DR, better colors (much more natural) etc.

So I would suggest you go to your dealer of trust and try a PenF personally once available. But I warn you, this test can result in GAS :cool:;)

etrigan63

Decided to post this question here as it related to my pending Pen-F purchase. I have decided that my first lens will be in the 35mm effective focal length range and I kind of have two choices:

The Olympus 17mm f/1.8 (34mm eFOV)

and

The PanaLeica DG Summilux 15mm f/1.7 (30mm eFOV)

I've used the 17mm before and it is very nice but I have heard many good things about the PanaLeica. 4mm wider isn't going to kill me.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Decided to post this question here as it related to my pending Pen-F purchase. I have decided that my first lens will be in the 35mm effective focal length range and I kind of have two choices:

The Olympus 17mm f/1.8 (34mm eFOV)

and

The PanaLeica DG Summilux 15mm f/1.7 (30mm eFOV)

I've used the 17mm before and it is very nice but I have heard many good things about the PanaLeica. 4mm wider isn't going to kill me.
I shoot the 17 and I really love this lens. Especially the size and weight are nice, I have the feeling that the 15 is a bit larger and heavier. Having said this, the 15 has excellent reviews and I have no doubt it offers the typical Leica signature.

What put me off from buying the Pana/Leica 15 is that the aperture ring, which per se is a great thing and I really would love to use does not operate on Olympus cameras, only on Panasonic. Which drives me nuts considering this is obviously mainly a FW thing and could be easily implemented by Olympus (or Panasonic) so one could use Pana/Leica glass on Olympus m43 bodies without any restrictions.

Knorp

The PL 15/1.7 is a fine lens, I like mine, but it's not without quirks: ca, nervous oof and barrel distortion.

Knorp

What put me off from buying the Pana/Leica 15 is that the aperture ring, which per se is a great thing and I really would love to use does not operate on Olympus cameras, only on Panasonic. Which drives me nuts considering this is obviously mainly a FW thing and could be easily implemented by Olympus (or Panasonic) so one could use Pana/Leica glass on Olympus m43 bodies without any restrictions.
An absolute shame that these two companies as the main representatives of the m43 standard choose to go for a parallel route in an attempt to protect their own product ... :angry: :banghead: :cussing:

mazor

I shoot the 17 and I really love this lens. Especially the size and weight are nice, I have the feeling that the 15 is a bit larger and heavier. Having said this, the 15 has excellent reviews and I have no doubt it offers the typical Leica signature.

It annoys me too that Panny lenses with a physical aperture ring does not function on Olympus bodies, but that did not stop me getting a Nocticron for my E-M1.:) Some of the lenses from Panasonic are simply not available in an Olympus variant.

etrigan63

The PL 15/1.7 is a fine lens, I like mine, but it's not without quirks: ca, nervous oof and barrel distortion.
Can you point me to some samples? Also, what do you leave the aperture ring set to since the Oly doesn't recognize it?

Knorp

Can you point me to some samples? Also, what do you leave the aperture ring set to since the Oly doesn't recognize it?
Since it doesn't work, I never pay much attention to the actual lens aperture setting, but I'm pretty sure it's mainly at 1.7 ... :eek:

Knorp

Attachments

etrigan63

Since it doesn't work, I never pay much attention to the actual lens aperture setting, but I'm pretty sure it's mainly at 1.7 ... :eek:
Thanks Bart.

I looked at the stock lens image on Panasonic's site and there is a A setting on the aperture ring.

etrigan63

Three samples and one close-up shot that shows the nervous oof ...
Bart,
thanks for the links, however they don't drop me on the specific post you were trying to show me. This may be entirely my browser as I use Firefox.

Beyond that, the image you attached did come up and I took a good look at it and to me it looks more like noise from the ISO 1600 you were using on the EM-1, than a nervous bokeh. Maybe I am more tolerant than you are, who knows? This is art anyway and is very subjective. I do like the way this lens draws.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For me the OOF looks just great for a 15mm lens. Similar to the 17 wide open I would say.

I cannot see any real nervousness so far, mind you I saw an image of a Nikkor 4/500 wide open and there the background looked also kind of nervous. I think this is all subjective.

But I love what comes out of the 15 and would have bought it if the aperture ring would be fully compatible with Oly cameras. Since it is not I prefer to stay in Olympus ecoland :cool:

etrigan63

None of the aperture settings have any effect on the Oly.
I am aware of that. You did mention it before. I meant that the A setting has the placebo effect of not having to worry about the aperture setting by leaving it there.