The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Digital Pen F

raist3d

Now that Iridient Digital supports Pen-F files, I downloaded a few and played with them. Looks like the highlight recovery is pretty decent- or the metering got better, but I think overall it improved as I see good shadow recovery and highlight recovery. Also the chroma noise seems somehow more controlled- at least that nasty OMD EM5 MKII sensor blue channel noise seems better.

So the fact the camera can do EV compensation now in Auto ISO/Manual has me interested but I still give priority to very small. I want to wait to see what's Panasonic's next move regarding the GM line which they should announce something soon.

- Ricardo

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Now that Iridient Digital supports Pen-F files, I downloaded a few and played with them. Looks like the highlight recovery is pretty decent- or the metering got better, but I think overall it improved as I see good shadow recovery and highlight recovery. Also the chroma noise seems somehow more controlled- at least that nasty OMD EM5 MKII sensor blue channel noise seems better.

So the fact the camera can do EV compensation now in Auto ISO/Manual has me interested but I still give priority to very small. I want to wait to see what's Panasonic's next move regarding the GM line which they should announce something soon.

- Ricardo
Ricardo,

great to hear that the PenF (sensor and processing) seem to make for improved IQ while increasing the resolution. As size is not so important for me, this camera becomes even more interesting :D

Thanks for this update

Peter

etrigan63

Here's a bit of fun: A Camereasize comparison of the Sigma sd Quattro H, Leica SL, & Pen-F all sporting fast 50's or their equivalent.

fast 50s.jpg
And this is without hoods...

Knorp

Crikey - that Sigma is a giant, even bigger than the SL ... :shocked:
However, the Oly is just a midget ... :rolleyes:

JPL

Its now available in switzerland - got a black one.... wonder how it is in practical use :)
I will certainly report back in a few days...

JPH

marlof

Today I've received a new stylus for my turntable, and a Pen-F in silver. Thought I'd combine the two.

New Camera, Same Old Song by Marlof Bregonje, on Flickr

Now comes the time of finding out what's to like and not to like. Until Lightroom adds RAW support, I'll have to rely on JPEGs. In that light: I really like the front dial...:thumbup:

JPL

I promised some first impressions...

Reminds me my old Leica IIIa - but thats subjective... (but the finder is better :) )
For me it is the perfect go everywhere camera, light, fast...
Battery holds well the distance
Finder is good, but is sometimes a little bit "slow" when moving the camera
Display is nice
Front dial does definetly not disturb my fingers
jpg's are ok, raw with iridient looks good
colors are nice
I regret that the color and mono presets (1,2,3...) alow not to have the black frame like the art presets
I regret that one can not control the grain in the art bw presets
AF is plenty fast
White balance.. well , ok but not more
Menu as usual

Global impression: thats a nice one - i like it!

Hopefully i have some time soon to produce some pics...

All the best

JPH

raist3d

I promised some first impressions...

Reminds me my old Leica IIIa - but thats subjective... (but the finder is better :) )
For me it is the perfect go everywhere camera, light, fast...
Battery holds well the distance
Finder is good, but is sometimes a little bit "slow" when moving the camera
The CameraStoreTV review touched on this, but they had pre-release firmware in the end. This is one area that concerns me because if the camera is for street life, I want a pretty real time EVF. Fuji is there already and so is Sony now.

If the lag is like the OMD EM5 MKII, it's O-K. If it's worse than that, then that's bad in my book. At least for my use. I wonder if the LCD lag matches the EVF lag.

Display is nice
Front dial does definetly not disturb my fingers
jpg's are ok, raw with iridient looks good
colors are nice
I regret that the color and mono presets (1,2,3...) alow not to have the black frame like the art presets
I regret that one can not control the grain in the art bw presets
AF is plenty fast
White balance.. well , ok but not more
Menu as usual

Global impression: thats a nice one - i like it!

Hopefully i have some time soon to produce some pics...

All the best

JPH
- Ricardo

- - - Updated - - -

Today I've received a new stylus for my turntable, and a Pen-F in silver. Thought I'd combine the two.
Pretty clean/nice looking jpeg, more so from the 17mm F1.8 which isn't supposed to be as sharp as some of the other primes.

- Ricardo

JPL

The CameraStoreTV review touched on this, but they had pre-release firmware in the end. This is one area that concerns me because if the camera is for street life, I want a pretty real time EVF. Fuji is there already and so is Sony now.

If the lag is like the OMD EM5 MKII, it's O-K. If it's worse than that, then that's bad in my book. At least for my use. I wonder if the LCD lag matches the EVF lag.

Pretty clean/nice looking jpeg, more so from the 17mm F1.8 which isn't supposed to be as sharp as some of the other primes.

- Ricardo
-> this observation was done in dim light, in daylight it a non-issue
-> I d'ont have the 17mm, only 25 and 45mm

rgds
JPH

raist3d

-> this observation was done in dim light, in daylight it a non-issue
-> I d'ont have the 17mm, only 25 and 45mm

rgds
JPH
I was referring to Marlof on the 17mm. So ok, I will still look for lag during daylight (compared vs the OMD EM5 MKII).

- Ricardo

marlof

Agreed, the lag is only noticeable in dim light. In decent light it's not an issue.
And I think the 17 1.8 is underrated. Also by me. I found that I grabbed the 25 1.4 or even the 20 1.7 before this one. Since Olympus decided on the 17 as kit lens, I decided to use mine (silver, not black) more, to see if I was missing out on something. What I like is the ability for close focus and the very speedy auto focus. What I don't like is a more sterile look compared to the 25 and 20. Not bad, just different.