The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Digital Pen F

JPL

Could get a moment during lunch time - 3 samples:
Art 1/II
Art 5/II
Mono 2 medium grain, slightly modified curve

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This seems to be a success for Olympus already. I've seen several "in the wild" in the Middle East and in Southeast Asia the last couple of weeks.

Annna T

The one thing I don't like in the Pen-F is that it has a smaller EVF than the E-M5II.
Also, I'm not a fan of the completely retro look. I used to like my white E-P3 and I like the Sony A7r more contemporary design.

If this camera had been issued instead of the first E-M5, I would have happily got one, because I like the EVF standing at the left in a rectangular shaped body.

But for me, it comes about three years too late.

raist3d

The one thing I don't like in the Pen-F is that it has a smaller EVF than the E-M5II.
Also, I'm not a fan of the completely retro look. I used to like my white E-P3 and I like the Sony A7r more contemporary design.

If this camera had been issued instead of the first E-M5, I would have happily got one, because I like the EVF standing at the left in a rectangular shaped body.

But for me, it comes about three years too late.
I can totally see your point of view. I agree those are valid reasons (in your context).

I am still looking at the PenF for being the smallest camera with the Olympus IBIS, the new sensor (I really want the new sensor), and that it can do EV compensation in Manual mode (Finally!)- to be able to tame the DR range of m43rds better to the shot.

But I am still waiting to see Panasonic's move.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Couple of PenF tidbits- was able to play with one briefly at the store (black model).

- Sensor again, seems a step forward. Sharp, nice, good tones. Color sensitivity seems up.
- Verified EV compensation works in manual mode + auto iso. yay.
- EVF is smaller than the OMD's but it's not bad

Forgot to verify EVF lag. Duh.

- Camera feels lighter than I was expecting. The OMD EM5 MKII in turn feels heavier than expected.
- Camera looks nice, but I am sure the Silver model is "the looker"
- Startup time seems a tad long (like an OMD EM5 MKII, maybe a notch longer) when compared to other cameras (say GM5)
- Camera overall feel of responsiveness seems a notch slower than OMD EM5 MKII. Not what I would call bad per se, but just seems a notch slower somehow. Could be a "placebo effect" so do not put too much weight on this- I did not test them side to side.

- Rolling shutter for e-shutter is about the same as the OMD / GM5's, when panning around.

- Ricardo

etrigan63

retow

I did not have a lot of opportunity to give the Pen a work out, but what I see from the new sensor is less noisy skies at low iso as compared to the 16MP sensor. C1 does not support raw yet so the attached shot is a jpeg with noise reduction off.

Attachments

raist3d

I am beginning to think that the Pen-F saps the owner's motivation to take photographs. Where's the "fun with Pen-F" thread? Or is the Pen-F no fun? :) :p :ROTFL:

Come on people. You got it, show what you are doing.

- Ricardo

- - - Updated - - -

My Pen F arrived and as is required by the Unwritten By-Laws of GetDPI, I must prove my ownership and mastery of the camera by posting a cat picture:
Cats are fundamental for camera testing. One tip though- don't use flash on the kitty! It hurts.

- Ricardo