Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The Digital Pen F

Swivel LCD!
    Now, I am interested!

Post Thanks / Like

It's not that big and more dials means less menu diving.
    Bobby
    Here's a new Pen F with an E-P5 overlay as a size guide.
    Bobby
    "Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." John Lennon

Post Thanks / Like

I fear that the newly announced Fuji XPro2 might bring me completely out of m43 territory
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I fear that the newly announced Fuji XPro2 might bring me completely out of m43 territory
    Who says you only have to buy one
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It has only a fixed LCD and is rather slow with liveview on. The fixed LCD would be a no no for me.

But the Pen F looks good with its 20 MB. But I will probably wait for a 20MP E-M5.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    It has only a fixed LCD and is rather slow with liveview on. The fixed LCD would be a no no for me.
    Regressive. There is a niche market for it. They will run this edition for another few years with FW upgrades every 3 months to keep the fans interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was always tempted by the E-P5, but the lack of viewfinder kept me from buying it. My guess is that this camera will have very high specs, like the E-P5, including their best and most advance IBIS and 4K video. They really have no choice if it's going to compete with the Panasonic GX8 on one side and the Fuji X-Pro2 on the other. There might also be a Nikon V4 later this year, and although the Nikon sensor is smaller, their V cameras are very nice, little cameras too.
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 17th January 2016 at 23:53.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post

But the Pen F looks good with its 20 MB. But I will probably wait for a 20MP E-M5.
    Liveview was sure slow in the XPro1, but this should have changed completely with the XPro2. The fixed LCD is something which I also do not like, but there will be soon a XT2, which will have articulating LCD and also 4k. Have you shot an XTRANS sensor once? There are really remarkable differences in IQ, color and sharpness to whatever sensor I have used so far out of m43 section

WRT 20MP sensor of the upcoming PenF, this is for sure a nice upgrade for m43 but already lags behind state of the art resolution in 2016 at the time of its introduction. I would not even care that it is 20MP, but if I start cropping to 3:2, then this results in something around 17-18MP again and this is not what I want. And unfortunately my taste for optimum general aspect ratio has changed pretty much towards 3:2.

The 20MP EM5 will only come after the 20MP EM1markII, which will be most probably not before spring 2017, as the EM1 will likely be announced at Photokina 2016.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Who says you only have to buy one
    You are unfortunately soo right

Post Thanks / Like

I see a few things I like but some things I potentially don't

What I like
    - Tone curve gets its own dedicated lever (see photo of the back, just below PASM wheel).
    - Front wheel is to change between ART/color/mono/something. Reminds me of the Pentax Q with 1, 2, 3 presets. It's about time Olympus did this because having ART filters as part of the PASM wheel never made sense to me.
    - We get an EV compensation dial also. Hopefully this means Manual Auto ISO with EV compensation.
    - We know are are getting the new Sony 20 MP GX8 m43rds sensor

Lingering questions
    - Weather sealed?
    - IBIS capability at what level?
    - Will it be the first to implement Olympus super resolution in 1/60? That would be something if it can

My disappointment - it's a bit big. I would have loved to be this the counterpart to the GM5, but given it's not that small, I am not sure what's the advantage as a model-line vs the OMD M's.

To me the EV compensation with Auto ISO in Manual (if it has it) would be tempting but I am afraid if the size is ballpark and OMD5 MKII it doesn't buy me anything new over the GM5 line which is what I want- smaller. Or new over the OMD EM5 MKII that I use for paid work.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post

My disappointment - it's a bit big. I would have loved to be this the counterpart to the GM5, but given it's not that small, I am not sure what's the advantage as a model-line vs the OMD M's.

- Ricardo
    If it's anything like the E-P5, it will be relatively flat without a lens. That means being able to to pack it in a very small space, something that isn't possible with the E-M1. I would expect specs similar to those of the E-M1, but with new features added and with 4K video. I'm starting to see this as a possible option for me, rather than the new Fuji. It will be smaller, cheaper and I still have some m4/3 stuff plus it will be a nice companion for the GM5 or vice versa.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    If it's anything like the E-P5, it will be relatively flat without a lens. That means being able to to pack it in a very small space, something that isn't possible with the E-M1. I would expect specs similar to those of the E-M1, but with new features added and with 4K video. I'm starting to see this as a possible option for me, rather than the new Fuji. It will be smaller, cheaper and I still have some m4/3 stuff plus it will be a nice companion for the GM5 or vice versa.
    4K video definitely not, "only" have 4K timelaps. Just got feedback from my dealer, who had a presentation about the PenF earlier today from Olympus.

4K is definitely not a big deal for me as I am a happy camper for HD video over the next years anyway (glad to learn video now and not have to handle the huge 4k amount of data).

WRT size it is much smaller than the XPro2 - similar size to EM10, rather smaller.

The PenF would mean for me that I could remain in the m43 ecosystem .... well I think I wait anyway, too many cameras currently popping up making decisions too complicated
    Last edited by ptomsu; 25th January 2016 at 05:56.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice camera, too pricey at launch and no weather sealing. But if one prefers RF gestalt and the GM5 is too small and the GX8 too big, the Pen could be the solution. Although with grip it might be almost as bulky as the GX8 is.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the size and features of this camera and its BW ability judging by the early SOOC examples. But as a non m43 user the price is a little surprising. Since I would have buy into the system it's a camera I'm going to keep an eye on the specials of or even wait until the replacement is announced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's a street photographers dream camera, but for me I just can't see it with a 100-400 Panaleica on the front! It doesn't have dual IS either. I do like it's small size and the location and retro but useful knurled dials etc. The vari angle LCD is a dream even it it's a dream with a high price tag.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuWZjEJU1P8
    At 1K GBP (£1000) It is not cheap compared with the albeit larger Panasonic GX8 which uses the same sensor and has dual IS and 4K video.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here in Thailand, the price difference up to a Nikon Df is $600. I've hardly ever seen better reason to buy a Df

Actually, a new D610 costs the same as the Pen F.

Oh, and the shop has a used Df for sale for exactly the same price as the Pen F

I'd better hide my credit card
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Too many knobs ... I wish I had my original Pen FV.

G

Post Thanks / Like

I like it very much.
    the HepKitty

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is a review by Ming Thein which I find quite instructive.

Premiere and review: The Olympus PEN F ? Ming Thein | Photographer

To sum up :

He liked the ergonomic (save the for placement of the lug and the button in the front) : it offers a very nice shooting experience as the camera just disappears, allowing you to concentrate on pictures.

Concerning IQ improvements from the new sensor : he can't judge because he was limited to Olympus Viewer 3, so he has no point of comparison with his usual workflow, yet the increase in details seems marginal, but that may be due to the raw converter. The DR seems slightly better and ISO are usable up to 1600. But shadow noise seems a tad worse than on the E-M5II. But this needs to be confirmed when he will be able to convert the raws with his usual workflow.
    Last edited by Annna T; 27th January 2016 at 08:32.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks just like a lukewarm update - more in the design direction than real quality.

Even Robin Wong is not too impressed and he is for sure an Olympus fanboy

http://robinwong.blogspot.co.at/2016...ew-part-1.html

Especially the many knobs and dials, mainly there to look a bit like Fuji IMHO. Also the Mono mode is nothing earth shattering, this will probably produce only JPEGs, what is the sense of this if you mainly shoot RAW?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mono mode here is JPEG only. Can't do RAW mono because the sensor is a color sensor with a bayer filter. There's nothing new here except they put it on a new dial on the front.

I see nothing compelling about this camera for my uses.
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like

Looks just like a lukewarm update - more in the design direction than real quality.

?
    I wasn't expecting a miracle increase in image quality over the old sensor,
    but increasing from 16MP to 20MP combined with nearly four* years of sensor design progress,
    I was hoping for a more noticeable change.

* I think it's about that length of time since the original EM5?
    Ian.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a charming hybrid between a classic Pen, a Leica 3F and something out of Inspector Gadget.

If not too much larger than the E-P1 then I'm definitely interested. I like the size and general form factor of the Pen body style but wanted my built-in EVF too.

Olympus Viewer 3: Was using that for awhile with my Stylus Tough TG4 raw files and the software seems to lay on noise reduction with a heavy hand regardless of how it's configured. Am much happier with the results I get using Adobe's raw converter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This will be a success, particularly here in Asia. It pushes all the right buttons for the growing, young middle class here, and will compete directly with Fuji, the current market leader in Thailand (Yes, Fuji is outselling not only Sony and Olympus but Canon and Nikon too in the exchangeable lens camera market). Cute and retro is what it's all about. Google "Yamaha Fino" or "Honda Scoopy" and you'll see what I mean. Basically, it's an E-P5 with more dials and a viewfinder plus the number of megapixels starts with a "2". 20, 24 or 28... who cares? The photos are only going to Facebook and Instagram anyway.

For me? I would love to have it, just as I would love to have an X-Pro2 or a Df. But the GM5, which I have, is much smaller and the GX8 more capable and cheaper too, so probably not. But insert the sensor of the A7R II in this beautiful body, and I might change my mind. Olympus did patent a lens for mirrorless 35mm camera recently, didn't they?

Yamaha Fino, the best selling scooter in Thailand the last decade:

And for those who want the most bang-for-the-bucks and mostly care about how capable the camera is, the E-M10 II and G7 are impossible to beat in the world of m4/3. I'm quite sure I could do my entire photographic and video work with those two cameras without anybody other than camera geeks noticing that I'd sold my Nikon gear... if I did, but I won't

Just sayin'

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is a damned sexy camera, at least to me.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Seems that technical innovation has plateaued for mft and the number of knobs and art filters ought to make the difference. Nice, yes, this little Pen. But the same amount of money buys some serious gear these days.

Post Thanks / Like

So after reading/checking things. I think the camera looks very nice. This is really for a new sort of market (in a way I am part of the market they are targeting- but more on that below)

Really like the new color and monochrome JPEG engine stuff- Olympus was sort of falling behind in their JPEG engine, and this puts them more where I think they can be. I still prefer Fuji's though.

The camera when you consider its capabilities, it's very small and nice. I do think at the asking price it should have been weather sealed- oh well. I guess it's a bit of a luxury item (if such thing can be said for any camera below the Leica level).

The camera speaks to me ironically because I used to be a 4/3rds JPEG shooter for a very long time. I like the idea of getting shots out of camera playing with them in the camera/sharing them. That said....

I am looking for wearable and stealth and the GM5 is still smaller. As far as bigger camera goes, I do think the GX8 is the better deal both in capability and specially now price. And the GX8 isn't my camera because it's too big for what I want. I am waiting for the rumored GM7 which should have the same sensor and 4k video.

I do think that if this Pen F had the hand held high-res mode implemented, that would have been interesting for some shots for sure. It doesn't, it doesn't have 4k and no weather sealing. And it's $1,199 USD body only. Ah well.

I also was hopping Olympus revamped their menu system, but they didn't. So all the new UI that is added makes the camera even more complex that Olympus has had out there before, including any current OMD's... though at least they have a two manual dials/controls that are associated with such (front dial and tone curve level under the PASM wheel).

Still looks very nice. If I see in person and feels small I would think about it, but truth is the GM line is much smaller. Can't fault the size much given the IBIS, but for me, I want a smaller device.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Just check out this video, at least for me after watching I now better understand the PenF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9gh6_3nT9A

Must reiterate I am normally a RAW shooter and never ever messed up with JPEGs, but what this little PenF offers makes me just rethink my shooting style. I can see that as soon as one allows in camera processing and usage of JPEGs and get the OOC JPEGs right, then this concept makes lot of sense. No more (almost) post processing and directly getting what you want while actually being in the middle of the scene.

Nevertheless I would like to see from Olympus something which is already available from Fuji - when you shoot Fuji, you can shoot RAW and assign all the profiles later in LR - if Olympus did that together with Adobe also for their profiles, especially for the PenF, then I would buy this camera/concept in a heartbeat.

Anyway maybe I would like to try that JPEG shooting out .... which I fear will become expensive, as I the very likely would want that camera too

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just made a blog post about how, with this camera, Olympus is reviving a Victorian design ethic called the "Aesthetic Movement". Basically, if you are going to make something useful, make it beautiful as well.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

For the past year, basically since I re-upped my interest in shooting with Polaroid SX-70s, my efforts have been to see how well I can get along with using just the in-camera JPEG engine on all my digital cameras to get as close as I have in mind to the finished image intent. The SX-70 was the inspiration because, in the last analysis, the idea of the Polaroid cameras is to produce completed prints with no further modification.

Since I produce a lot of B&W images, this effort has had its challenges—I'm very very comfortable with my raw to monochrome JPEG workflow. However, be that as it may, I found that with the Leica X, M-P, and now SL, as well as with the Olympus E-M1 and E-PL7, I can get to about 95% of my finish rendering intent on color work using just the in-camera JPEG engine with only minor finishing touches added in LR or Snapseed/Photogene working on the JPEGs only. It's not been so successful with the B&W work; only the M-P has the B&W filter simulations that let me do what I do with raw files in LR. With the M-P, I can get to almost straight out of the camera (done but for the border) with some scenes, with the others, I need to massage the output a bit more than is worth basing on the JPEGs as a rule.

I don't think I'd need a Pen F Digital on that basis; I can do the no-raw dance well enough with the kit I have. This makes me extremely happy. :-)

It's always seemed Olympus's goal, however, to hand photographers a complete processing lab in their cameras that let them produce finished work easily. From the E-1 to the present, they've had some of the best in-camera JPEG engines around the industry, and they were one of the first to provide in-camera raw to JPEG conversions.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    For the past year, basically since I re-upped my interest in shooting with Polaroid SX-70s, my efforts have been to see how well I can get along with using just the in-camera JPEG engine on all my digital cameras to get as close as I have in mind to the finished image intent. The SX-70 was the inspiration because, in the last analysis, the idea of the Polaroid cameras is to produce completed prints with no further modification.

Since I produce a lot of B&W images, this effort has had its challenges—I'm very very comfortable with my raw to monochrome JPEG workflow. However, be that as it may, I found that with the Leica X, M-P, and now SL, as well as with the Olympus E-M1 and E-PL7, I can get to about 95% of my finish rendering intent on color work using just the in-camera JPEG engine with only minor finishing touches added in LR or Snapseed/Photogene working on the JPEGs only. It's not been so successful with the B&W work; only the M-P has the B&W filter simulations that let me do what I do with raw files in LR. With the M-P, I can get to almost straight out of the camera (done but for the border) with some scenes, with the others, I need to massage the output a bit more than is worth basing on the JPEGs as a rule.

I don't think I'd need a Pen F Digital on that basis; I can do the no-raw dance well enough with the kit I have. This makes me extremely happy. :-)

It's always seemed Olympus's goal, however, to hand photographers a complete processing lab in their cameras that let them produce finished work easily. From the E-1 to the present, they've had some of the best in-camera JPEG engines around the industry, and they were one of the first to provide in-camera raw to JPEG conversions.

G
    I'm in the process of testing my newly IR modified E-P5. I'm using the Art Mode and setting the camera to shoot monocrome with a digital red filter. The camera offers more digital color filters to tweak the JPGs' so that minimal PP'ing is needed. So far so good. It's my understanding that the new Pen F will offer IR mode in its' Art Mode. If this new digital IR filter is indeed a feature this new camera offers I might need to look at this a little closer.
    Bobby
    Bobby
    "Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." John Lennon

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This camera is calling to me as an everyday carry camera. I am using my A7 II for real work now, but that is me justifying to myself. Once the raw processors get updated, I will take a look at the raw files dpreview was kind enough to post and see how they look in my workflow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    This camera is calling to me as an everyday carry camera. I am using my A7 II for real work now, but that is me justifying to myself. Once the raw processors get updated, I will take a look at the raw files dpreview was kind enough to post and see how they look in my workflow.
    I think I will do the same. Test the RAWs and see how I like them. I actually have hoped that LR6.4 would already support these RAW files, but unfortunately did not. Hope they bring it soon.

If LR would finally allow to apply the same filter settings to the RAWs in post process like it does for the Fuji, I would buy this camera in a heartbeat!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    Seems that technical innovation has plateaued for mft and the number of knobs and art filters ought to make the difference. Nice, yes, this little Pen. But the same amount of money buys some serious gear these days.
    Hmmm, but it seems to me that (with the exception of video) this is perfectly capable of being serious gear (just don't fiddle with the knob on the front if you don't want to!)

To me it looks like fun - and that shooting ORF+jpg fine will give you the best of both worlds. I can't see anything to dislike and am certainly dooomed!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hmmm, but it seems to me that (with the exception of video) this is perfectly capable of being serious gear (just don't fiddle with the knob on the front if you don't want to!)

To me it looks like fun - and that shooting ORF+jpg fine will give you the best of both worlds. I can't see anything to dislike and am certainly dooomed!
    So you will get one soon

Post Thanks / Like

I cooked up a rational-sounding explanation as to why I'd want a Pen F when I already have a Sony A7 outfit which serves me perfectly well, but who am I trying to kid? I want the Pen F because it looks cool I'm sure it'll be a substantial improvement over my E-P1 which has been my only M43 camera body to date.

Post Thanks / Like

Size comparisons... Disclaimer- it's always good to grab the camera in hand in real life, so I would use this as a guide.

- Ricardo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is also ~ twice as heavy as the GM5.

Apart from the size, the pen F is a lot of camera than the GM5 with its (refers to GM-5) severe limits in pretty much every department.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Something to read: PEN-F Instruction Manual
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Already installed on my iPhone and iPad...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post

Apart from the size, the pen F is a lot of camera than the GM5 with its (refers to GM-5) severe limits in pretty much every department.
    Would be good to know what exactly are the limitations of the GM-5 apart from the obvious lack of direct control dials, and small grip, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, but you can say that about a FF camera vs another. Also the AF of the GM5 may very well still be a bit better, ironically. And it's menu UI imho is still better than the Olympus.

Not quite sure what the limitations of the GM5 are here in this context. I just view it as different features I guess.

But the key differentiator is of course- the size. I think I am going to hold out for the GM7 which is the original plan. That should bring 4k video, the new sensor and a couple of other things.

- Ricardo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mazor, The mechanical shutter runs up to 1/500s, after that it is electronic shutter. With adapted lenses, only the electronic shutter works, It is 12bit out put with the mech shutter and presumably 10bit when on the electronic shutter.

Flash sync speed is a whopping 1/50s.

Ricardo, i also am looking forward to the GM7.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Thanks Bart. Already read it a bit the other night. The insights I wanted to check on-

Looks like Auto ISO can be EV-compensated in Manual mode- this is new for Olympus.
    You can set a custom button to toggle between MF and previous set AF mode.
    It's not clear if you can apply the new JPEG profiles including the presets to in-camera raw development. My guess is that you can, but the manual doesn't explicitly mention this.
    There is a "point AF" that allows you to focus on precise locations, but imho, the Panasonic implementation is better/faster/more intuitive to deal with.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Mazor, The mechanical shutter runs up to 1/500s, after that it is electronic shutter. With adapted lenses, only the electronic shutter works, It is 12bit out put with the mech shutter and presumably 10bit when on the electronic shutter.

Flash sync speed is a whopping 1/50s.

Ricardo, i also am looking forward to the GM7.
    It doesn't strike me as a set of limitations when comparing cameras as much as different feature sets. The GM5 is definitively smaller and from what I see the AF interface and menu complexity seems better.

I will still try to see the PenF in person when it's available.

BTW, don't know if you meant adapted lenses like from Nikon or older mechanical ones, but the GM5 can do mechanical shutter with old 4/3rds lenses.

- Ricardo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't know if this is a sign of the coming Apocalypse, but my wife has agreed to let me use some of our tax return to purchase a Pen-F + 17mm f/1.8.

I am a happy camper!
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Camerasize.com has both the Pen-F and A6300 up for comparison.
    Name:  penf-vs-a6300.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  193.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be honest and say I have a hard time justifying the Pen-F over the Sony for street night life. The Sony is smaller, the Pen-F sensor doesn't seem to have improved ISO/etc much at all, while the Sony sensor I do expect it will do so (most likely the Fuji Xpro 2's base sensor).

And given my experience with the A6000 AF, I am expecting the A6300 to be a miracle here.
    Sure, A6300 lacks IBIS but a lot of the lenses have IBIS. Like the SEL35/SEL55 primes.

- Ricardo