The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any reviews of MS Optical C/T mount adapter?

m3photo

Re: Coke Bottle Bottom-Adapter

(Anybody seen a bottom-of-a-Coke-bottle for Micro Four Thirds yet?)
Coke Bottle Bottom. Sounds quite rude this way, doesn't it?

On a more serious note - I can confirm that Jinfinance (or Ron Jin to his friends) told me today that he's putting a Nikon F to m4/3 adapter on the market next month too.

Last edited:

wjlapier

Bill, the Cosmicar line was apparently bought by Pentax, I don't think that name is used anymore. The 8.5mm and 12.5mm do not cover the sensor. The 8.5mm actually extends a bit too far into the G1, it will conflict with the black baffle inside the sensor chamber. If you look at the 8.5 on the left, you can see there is a retaining ring that extends beyond the c-mount threads. Any lens that extends that far is a no-go, I think I can get the 8.5 to work by shaving a tiny bit off the retaining ring.

If you send me your Tevidon and adapter I can machine them for you and align things so the focus scale is up.

The Tevidons have apparently been snapped up and are no longer available for $40. :( Someone else has them for $100 now.
I got my Tevidon when prices were still less than $100. When it arrives, and the adapter, I'll send them to you.

Regarding the 12.5--how much of the sensor does it cover? Using Google ( imagine that! ) I found out who Cosmicar is:)

Thanx!

monza

Hmm...I'll send you a photo later today...I'd say it covers enough of the sensor that if you crop it, it's actually more like an 18mm lens. ;)

m3photo

Re: Pentax C-Mount 25mm

Venture earlier in the thread.QUOTE]
Ah, so Bella and Cooper on the little Pentax. What's your overall opinion of this lens, then - worth a bite? (pun intended)
I realise I must seem thick as I'd seen the picture of the 4 lenses already of course. The thing is, there seem to be more than one lens by the same name out there that are radically different to each other - namely, your Cosmicar 8.5mm f/1.5 isn't my Cosmicar 8.5mm f/1.5! So I was just making doubly sure.

monza

Well, I've frankly not had the time to shoot much with it at all, since it arrived a couple of days ago. My initial impressions, subject to change upon further review:

1. It's extremely tiny, to the point of compromising ergonomics. Given time I could get used to the tiny aperture and focus rings. And being tiny has advantages. It's probably 1/10th the volume of the Pana-Leica 25/1.4, maybe less. Hey it's also about 1/10th the price. It's the same size as a 35mm roll of film. I thought Pen F lenses were small. :)

2. It seems to be extremely sharp in the center, even wide open. Click on the photo below for 100% crop at f/1.4. (This is RAW converted to DNG and opened in PS CS3, no sharpening or other adjustments other than white balance.)

3. It doesn't cover the sensor in 4:3, but it does in 16:9. I don't find this a problem as I like 16:9. Doesn't appear to have corner smearing except on 4:3 which is really a coverage issue, not the typical rangefinder lens smearing.

4. No machining, its 30mm rear diameter will work on any c-mount adapter.

5. Some barrel distortion, but not as much as the Tevidon.

16:9, no cropping:

wjlapier

I liked to see the size of the lens side by side more. Here are two pics with the G1 and without. Second with a few of my tiny lenses--left to right, 14-45 kit lens, 5cm/1.4 Millennium Nikkor, Leica 3.5cm/3.5 Summaron, and Kern Switar 25mm/1.4. I was surprised how heavy the Switar was, but even more surprised at how tiny it was. The film canister lid on the rear of the Mill Nikkor fits perfectly as a lenscap for the Switar :thumbs:

Anyone know where i can find C mount rear caps?

Jonas

1. It's extremely tiny,
(...)
3. It doesn't cover the sensor in 4:3, but it does in 16:9. I don't find this a problem as I like 16:9. Doesn't appear to have corner smearing except on 4:3 which is really a coverage issue, not the typical rangefinder lens smearing.
I went ahead and ordered the Pentax 25/1.4 from B&H the other day. As you say, the prize and size are both a tenth of the monstrous Panasonic 25/1.4. I expect it to be of lesser quality but not down to a tenth... ;)

I also have a lens hood and a couple of filters on their way.

But wth... it doesn't cover the sensor in 4/3 format? Lol, there is always something. Well, most of my images end up square anyway and there isn't alot of money involved in this tiny little CCTV lens.

More to follow, /Jonas

A

Autochrome

It just became available a couple of days ago. I have one en route...will be happy to report when it arrives.
Monza, have you recieved the adapter? How do you like it?
Where is the T-Mount. I can't spot it on the photo.

I'm looking for a short mFT to T-mount adapter. That's the only one I've found so far.

pentacon6

I always wonder that should I have a Pentax 25mm f1.4.
I have a Canon TV lens already and almost perform the same with similar specification.
However, the minimum focus distance of Canon is 0.5m not as close as Pentax, which
is 0.3m. But I think Pentax has a better build lens body and a less losen focus ring.

But I got it just 1/3rd of the price of Pentax from ebay. It is a compromise.

monza

I'm not sure why MS Optical says it has a T-mount, it doesn't. It simply has a removable center ring so the lens can be oriented properly so the focus scale is up.

A

Autochrome

Thanks, I will ask Japan Exposures how it is meant.
Maybe one can mount a T2 dovetail ring to it. But I'm
not sure there is a standard size for these.