Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: My DMC-G1 with manual focus lenses

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My DMC-G1 with manual focus lenses

Quote Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
    fortynine,
    Looks like the lens worked out great for you. Some nice photos with that lens.
    thanks.

but I was shooting @ISO 1000 f1.2 1/40 frequently so pushing the lens & cam to the limits. It was fun but not easy. Wish I had faster f1.4 wides. The C-mount beckons!
    Last edited by fortynine; 5th March 2009 at 21:53.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fortynine View Post
    CV 35mm 1.2 is great! I shot a wedding with just 35 1.2 & G1 recently (...)
    Yes, it is a great lens, a jewel and with more leica feel to it than some Leica lenses. The RF people may find it big but I come from the DSLR world and think it is just fine.

The smeared borders is not a problem as long as you use the center part only. Duh. That sounded silly. I mean, for portraits and a lot of other occasions it works just fine. But I wanted a versatile lens possible to use for everything and then it fell short.

That was a nice image, btw, very much to my taste.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Fedex ground delivered this Robot lens very late in the day, so I had to scramble before things got too dark. This is a two second exposure with the Schneider Xenon 40/1.9 @ 1.9. Robot to LTM adapter, LTM to M adapter, Rayqual M adapter, G1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fortynine View Post
    CV 35mm 1.2 is great! I shot a wedding with just 35 1.2 & G1 recently at ISO1000. check out the pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2190267...7614297646834/
    Lovely picture, as are many on flickr. Did you crop them to eliminate the corner unsharpness? Jpeg or RAW? Which software?
    Peter Werner
    Leica M8, R9+DMR & Digilux 2; Nikon D700; Panasonic FX01, FX150 & G1; Samsung TL350 (WB 2000)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Fedex ground delivered this Robot lens very late in the day, so I had to scramble before things got too dark. This is a two second exposure with the Schneider Xenon 40/1.9 @ 1.9. Robot to LTM adapter, LTM to M adapter, Rayqual M adapter, G1.
    Beautiful color rendition and bokeh, I love those Xenons on the G1. Just "won" a 25mm/1.4 c-mount Xenon today. I intend to use it as my standard lens while the older one is away for TLC.
    Peter Werner
    Leica M8, R9+DMR & Digilux 2; Nikon D700; Panasonic FX01, FX150 & G1; Samsung TL350 (WB 2000)

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, does that lens cover the whole sensor? All ratios?

I just got a few lenses to play with today. Two cheapy Wollensaks that are built like tanks, tinier than my Kern 25/1.4, sharp, and cover the sensor at all ratios Heavy little things. And they don't need to be machined! The Som I mention to you before also covers the sensor too--all three are 1" lens. Two are 1.9 and one is 2.5. I'll take them out for a shoot soon. They are an ergonomic nightmare though. The engravings are so small I have to use a loupe to read them and the focus and aperture info is on the underside of the lens of course

I also got a cheapy Kodak 15/2.5 that is surprisingly very nice. It has a neat feature where you can unscrew the front of the lens and rotate it so that the aperture and focus info is on top. Does not cover the sensor completely, even at 16:9.

So far these four don't need to be machined.

Bill

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Peter, I can't wait to try out this Xenon tomorrow in real light.

Bill, yes it covers the sensor in all formats, the Robot frame being larger than m4/3.

Did you pick up the Som Berthiot Cinor 25/1.9? I have one of those en route. I'll be very pleased if it covers the sensor...is the c-mount removable so you could rotate so the focus scale is up?

Post Thanks / Like

yehh... my new toy ...Jupiter 9...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Y.B.Hudson III View Post
    yehh... my new toy ...Jupiter 9...

Nice looking cat and creamy background. Cool

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Peter, I can't wait to try out this Xenon tomorrow in real light.

Bill, yes it covers the sensor in all formats, the Robot frame being larger than m4/3.

Did you pick up the Som Berthiot Cinor 25/1.9? I have one of those en route. I'll be very pleased if it covers the sensor...is the c-mount removable so you could rotate so the focus scale is up?
    Peter's comment about his 25mm Xenon confused me and I thought you had the c-mount version--I see your's is a 40/1.9. My Som is a Lytar 1"/1.9. As for removing the c-mount--I wouldn't know where to look to see if it was possible.

So far I have four lenses in c-mount that cover the sensor--the three I mentioned and a Canon 50/1.8. The Canon is a very nice lens that is much more ergonomics friendly. It's interesting to me that the three 1" lenses cover the sensor OK, but the 25mm Switar doesn't. Edit: The Switar does cover the sensor at 16:9 wide open.
    Last edited by wjlapier; 6th March 2009 at 21:44. Reason: Forgot about hood induced vignette...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, all four of these lenses have set screws on the chrome plated rear part of the lens.

How close does the Switar come to covering the sensor? I assume moreso without the hood, than with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, all four of these lenses have set screws on the chrome plated rear part of the lens.

How close does the Switar come to covering the sensor? I assume moreso without the hood, than with it.
    Oh yeah...the hood induced vignette I forgot about that. So, yes the Switar does cover the sensor wide open. I just quickly looked and stopped down a bit and you see vignette.

I do see set screws but they are very tiny and I don't have that size.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petermcwerner View Post
    Lovely picture, as are many on flickr. Did you crop them to eliminate the corner unsharpness? Jpeg or RAW? Which software?
    shot RAW, with very little cropping. 35mm was already a little tight for the occasion.
    I didn't see much corner unsharpness with my M-mounts. Tested them wide open & stopped down on a tripod.
    Perhaps others have a mis-aligned adaptor causing corner problems ?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear all;

This is my go at cine lenses, Hawk adapter and Kodak 25mm 1.4 cine ektar:

The whole set is here:

http://www.jonesii.net/2009%2003%200...ers/index.html

The lens does have a cmount adapter, so It looks like it could be rotated.

I have not noticed in the thread where any cosmicar examples have been posted. The lenses seem readily available from B&H, at reasonable price, any one know how many blades they have?

Dave

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice set, Dave. Does that Kodak cover the sensor?

Cosmicar is now sold under the Pentax name, the 25/1.4 Pentax in the photo above is one example. Any Cosmicar-labled lenses that are new, are old stock. Not sure how many blades...

mingpop

Hi,
    I use G1. I would like to know how to set the camera for MF lens because I can not get the sharp image.
    Thanks.

mingpop

Do you use tripod or not?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear MingPop ...

All my shots are hand held. The key is a fast lens, and good focusing technique. Make sure that you have your aperture set to above 2.8, if there is not enough light to get the shutter speed over 1/100, raise the ISO, 1/150 is better.

Make sure the zoom in, that is by using the left arrow, then the middle button.

If you have not adjusted your diopter setting, then you will have some problems focusing. It is best to adjust the diopter while using an autofocus lens.

Hope that this helps.

Dave

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice set, Dave. Does that Kodak cover the sensor?

Cosmicar is now sold under the Pentax name, the 25/1.4 Pentax in the photo above is one example. Any Cosmicar-labled lenses that are new, are old stock. Not sure how many blades...

Depends on the aperture, from about f4 on, there is little to no probelm, from there down, strong corner blackout.

Dave

mingpop

Dear djonesii,
    Very thanks I will try and if I have some problems I will ask you again too. That's very kind of you.

mingpop

Dear djonesii,
    I use FD to m4/3 adapter from jinfinance (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110341536053) and canon 55mm f1.2 SSC FD lens but the images are soft and unsharp rim. I try that you suggest me, but it's still accur. Tell me more please. Thanks you very much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mingpop View Post
    (...) canon 55mm f1.2 SSC FD lens but the images are soft and unsharp rim. I try that you suggest me, but it's still accur. Tell me more please. Thanks you very much.
    Maybe you can post an image that is not sharp and tell us what you have done trying to get it sharp? Then it would be easier to understand the problem.

If you use the kit lens with the camera set to manual focusing - can you get a sharp image then?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear MingPop;

I have a nikon 55 1.2, manual focus lens, I use it on my D300 all the time, and from apertures of 4-16 or so, it is razor sharp, I would expect the same of the canon. From 2.8-2.0, the lens is very sharp, from 1.4-1.2, its pretty good. Posting an image would really help.

When dealing with 1.4-1.2, you really have a very shallow DOF, that is, a persons nose can be sharp, and the eyes out of focus, this is not poor technique, but a quality of the optics. On the other hand, Shooting at f8, the whole body should be easy to get in focus.

In order for us to help, as someone has suggested, post a photo, but we will also need to know your focus point, F stop and shutter speed.

As some also asked, it's really important to make sure that you get nice sharp images when using the kit lens in AF, if so, we can most likely eliminate equipment problems on the camera side.

if you can focus sharp MF with the kit lens, then this points to the adapter or lens. If you kit lens images are not sharp in MF mode, then it points to technique.

Dave

butterdada

Quote Originally Posted by bondo View Post
    Arne, in post # 11 butterdada mentions Silkypix, though I don't know if that means that all his images were converted with Silkypix ...

And butterdada, I agree with Arne, your images are very nice indeed and they make excellent illustrations of lens performance. Thanks for your efforts with this and for posting them here.
    Thanks.
    Yes, all photos were converted by Silkypix.
    The G1 on hawk's post is mine.
    so my G1 still stays with Hawk.

I have no new photos to post.

Nikon Cine-Nikkor 25mm F1.4 wide open
    It's a C-mount lens. Very good.

butterdada

Kern Switar 50mm F1.8 for Alpa , modified to Leica M mount by MS Optics, Japan
    Can rangfind in M mount camera
    Still very good performance on G1

Last edited by butterdada; 14th March 2009 at 02:15.

butterdada

Carl Zeiss Jenna DDR Tevidon 35mm F1.9
    A c-mount lens.
    No vignetting.
    But cannot infinity. --> Hawk can resolve this problem.

Before modify:

butterdada

Bausch & Lomb 26mm F1.9
    A c-mount lens
    soft when wide open.
    No vignetting.
    Infinity ok.

butterdada

Kern Switar 75mm F1.9 all wide open
    A c-mount lens
    Very sharp when wide open.
    No vignetting.
    Infinity ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by butterdada View Post
    Konica UC hexanon AR 28mm F1.8
    Hi butterdada,

The UC Hexanon... how do you use it on the G1? A homemade adapter or did you modify the lens? I understand it as this UC lens has floating elements and wonder there is any special attention needed when modifying it.

What is your general impression of the lens (not thinking of wide open close-ups only)?

kindest, /Jonas

butterdada

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Hi butterdada,

The UC Hexanon... how do you use it on the G1? A homemade adapter or did you modify the lens? I understand it as this UC lens has floating elements and wonder there is any special attention needed when modifying it.

What is your general impression of the lens (not thinking of wide open close-ups only)?

kindest, /Jonas
    I modify it by myself. Very easy.
    This perforamnce UC 28/1.8 is perfect!!!!!
    Can 1:1 macro. Can focus less than 15cm.

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect performance can't be all wrong...
    I'm happy to hear there is nothing to worry about for the conversion. I have one on its way and it will be fun making it fit and try it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi butterdata,
    Does it not smear in the corners like other RF Leica lenses?
    Peter Werner

Post Thanks / Like

Hi butterdata,
    Does it not smear in the corners like other RF Leica lenses?
    Peter, you can check the samples posted above by butterdada. The Hexanon UC 28/1.8 is an AR lens made for the Konica SLR cameras. UC is, to my limited understanding, a short for Ultra Compact, Ultra Close and Ultra Coating - whatever all that means. The 28/1.8 isn't exactly Ultra Compact with rangefinder measures but not very big either.

If I run into smearing problems I'll get surprised (and a bit upset).

regards, /Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

My first pic using G1 + Nokton 35mm F1.2 @F1.2

Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    My first pic using G1 + Nokton 35mm F1.2 @F1.2
    Nice picture, but unfortunately a lot of smearing in the corners, like most if not all RF W/A lenses.
    Peter Werner

Post Thanks / Like

Peter, you can check the samples posted above by butterdada. The Hexanon UC 28/1.8 is an AR lens made for the Konica SLR cameras.
    Jonas,

I was not aware it was a SLR lens, they usually have not the smearing problem, being retrofocus designs. As for the samples, they are in 16/9 format and most of the smearing problems appear in 4/3

regards,
    Peter
    Peter Werner

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just have such trouble telling smearing from bokeh, that I will just keep enjoying a lovely image.

When Panasonic does get the 20 out, and more tests are done on the 14-40, I'm pretty sure people will complain about the software correction needed to improve corner sharpness.

Dave

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The posts all over RFF before lens adapters started appearing was how the G1 was not going to be any good with M mount lenses due to the fact that the 2x crop was going to only use the center part of the lens, therefore losing the aberrations at the edges. Now that people are using M lenses, and there are corner aberrations, it's unacceptable.

Post Thanks / Like

The posts all over RFF before lens adapters started appearing was how the G1 was not going to be any good with M mount lenses due to the fact that the 2x crop was going to only use the center part of the lens, therefore losing the aberrations at the edges. Now that people are using M lenses, and there are corner aberrations, it's unacceptable.
    I think it IS unacceptable, and it was a big letdown for many of us, but

a) It only happens with W/A, 50mm and more is OK. I have not tested the 35mm but will, 28mm definitely smear and I do not find anything enjoyable about it.

b) there are other W/A lenses that perform better: Leica R, Nikon, Zeiss Jena, etc., all of which are retrofocus design

My favorite is still the 21-35 Vario Elmar R, it performs beautifully on the G1 with the second favorite being the 16mm Zenitar, the 20mm/4 Nikkor and various 50mm, which all perform well, each one with its own character (Alpa Kern Switar, Speed Panchro, etc.). I am sure a new 50mm Summicron would be excellent, too. Mine is an older, collapsible one which I do not find that great.
    Peter Werner

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Of course, everyone has their own level of acceptability. I just found it rather an ironic situation.

The deepdiver photo above is a good example. I don't see anything unacceptable in that photo; whatever smearing there may be, is simply smearing the bokeh.

I've spent a lot of time looking through full size flickr images with lots of lenses and there are plenty that don't smear, including wide angles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djonesii View Post
    I just have such trouble telling smearing from bokeh, that I will just keep enjoying a lovely image. (...) software correction needed to improve corner sharpness.

Dave
    Take this one:

Above: The left edge of the image here isn't bokeh... It's a smeared part of the image withing the focus plane (and it is ugly, no?).

Now compare to this one:

Above: Taken today. The light and the distance weren't the same but it illustrates the point I hope.

So it is, that's what psychology and ideas do to us...

If only possible I prefer a lens not smearing the edges and borders. I want my lenses as versatile as possible. I don't want to have to stop down beyond diffraction limit to get decent borders.

EDIT: Then it is an altogether other thing that some smearing in many a case doesn't matter.

regards, /Jonas

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Of course, the preference is for high detail all the way to the edge. That's why people pay big bucks for top quality glass, right? If that's the case, than perhaps the G1 isn't the body to be using with such glass.

That being said, I've found that for the photography I do, very rarely is the subject at the edge of a photograph, and any smearing in the prints that I do is essentially invisible.

In addition, I have a real affinity for vintage glass that heretofore was considered rather dodgy...the Summarits and Canon 50/1.2s and 0.95s of the world, etc. These lenses are by their very nature imperfect, that's what gives them their character. Having never owned any Leica ASPH glass, perhaps I just don't know what I'm missing, but perhaps I'm more willing to accept less than the ideal.

For example I'm currently playing with a Macro Switar H8RX, 36mm f/1.4. It's an amazing little lens, it's designed for 8mm but actually comes within an eyelash of covering the G1 sensor. It has some really interesting character! But it would probably not reach minimum performance of many photographers. I took this photo with it. Uncropped.

Last edited by monza; 18th March 2009 at 07:09.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm...got me to thinking about the reason so many Canon shooters went to Zeiss and Leica glass for their 1DsII cameras. Are we talking about the same thing here, but calling it something different? Are soft edges now called smearing? If so, I doubt most of you will find a perfect lens that is sharp wide open all across the whole frame. Affordable anyway.

I thought the main reason we were looking at all the cine lenses was to find a wide angle prime lens that was fast and sharp, not to mention small. But if we are to stop down that lens to get sharpness across the frame, then we might as well use the kit lens which is plenty sharp.

The image above with the Nokton looked fine to me and I still don't see the "smearing" in the bokeh.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course, the preference is for high detail all the way to the edge. (...)
    Sometimes that's the preference, yes. I have no problems using less than perfect lenses (they all are anyway). I have a WTB ad up right now...

I just don't think the problem should be neglected. I'm sure most people think the same but sometimes you see comments like Dave's above and if I got the time I can't leave that uncommented.

You mentioned you have seen a lot of good RF lenses. Now that I got my normal and tele needs covered I'm looking for a WA lens and would like something in the 10-12mm range (no smear, no dark corners). Have you seen anything you can recommend?

regards, /Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

Are soft edges now called smearing?
    (...)
    The image above with the Nokton looked fine to me and I still don't see the "smearing" in the bokeh.
    No.

I agree about the CV35/1.2 image. The smearing there is doesn't matter in that image.

regards, /Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

No.

I agree about the CV35/1.2 image. The smearing there is doesn't matter in that image.

regards, /Jonas
    Jonas, The time I didn't care for the smearing was when I used the Wollensaks for some landscape stuff ( mostly testing the lenses ) and the edges were smeared pretty bad even at f/11, so in this case I probably would be more careful of the lens used, and most likely I'd use the kit lens.

OK Robert, you need to add to the database how far the smear is from center to edge at different f stops. And how pleasing it might or might not be Being objective of course

Post Thanks / Like

I have a real affinity for vintage glass that heretofore was considered rather dodgy...the Summarits and Canon 50/1.2s and 0.95s of the world, etc. These lenses are by their very nature imperfect, that's what gives them their character. Having never owned any Leica ASPH glass, perhaps I just don't know what I'm missing, but perhaps I'm more willing to accept less than the ideal.
    There are excellent vintage lenses, and I love some of them, but even in vintage lenses I would look for the best, the Kinoptik, Zeiss, Schneider, etc. and only those that really cover the whole sensor area without smearing, bad distortion, vignetting, etc.

For example I'm currently playing with a Macro Switar H8RX, 36mm f/1.4. It's an amazing little lens, it's designed for 8mm but actually comes within an eyelash of covering the G1 sensor. It has some really interesting character! But it would probably not reach minimum performance of many photographers. I took this photo with it. Uncropped.
    And are you satisfied with the smearing? I am not
    Peter Werner

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

You mentioned you have seen a lot of good RF lenses. Now that I got my normal and tele needs covered I'm looking for a WA lens and would like something in the 10-12mm range (no smear, no dark corners). Have you seen anything you can recommend?
    I don't know of any RF lenses of that focal length ...the photos I investigated on flickr had some WA RF lenses that didn't smear, I'll have to go back and look at my previous post...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

There are excellent vintage lenses, and I love some of them, but even in vintage lenses I would look for the best, the Kinoptik, Zeiss, Schneider, etc. and only those that really cover the whole sensor area without smearing, bad distortion, vignetting, etc.

And are you satisfied with the smearing? I am not
    I guess that's where the discussion gets interesting. Who is the arbiter of 'best?' Methinks that 'best' is highly dependent on the individual. Otherwise, there would not be so many camera brands and lenses.

As far as the Macro Switar 36/1.4 image above, I like that look and others I have shown it to liked it. None complained about smearing. That doesn't mean everyone will like it. I have to do more testing and adjusting on that lens as it's an RX which means it has an even shorter flange distance than a regular c-mount lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Jonas, The time I didn't care for the smearing was when I used the Wollensaks for some landscape stuff ( mostly testing the lenses ) and the edges were smeared pretty bad even at f/11, so in this case I probably would be more careful of the lens used, and most likely I'd use the kit lens.
    Yup; landscapes, documentary in general, architecture, panoramas...

Then again, for other images I really don't care about the corners:

(posted once earlier, I'm sorry for that)

Cheers, /Jonas