The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My DMC-G1 with manual focus lenses

Diane B

FD 135 f/2.8 with 20mm extension tubes on RRS focusing rail

f/11.0 1/15s ISO 640

I hadn't used the focusing rail for a bit and set it up awkwardly and made my life a bit harder--esp. as I was trying to shoot in between showers LOL.

Diane

S

seb33

Infinity of Kern 25/1.4 is ok, but not sharp.
I sent lots of lens to Hawk for modification , such as Tevidon 25/1.4 , Tevidon 35/1.9, etc.

Some C mount without modification is ok.
Nikon Cine-Nikkor 25mm F1.4

I've just bought a Nikkor cine 25mm 1.4, will it be ok with my GH1 ? Is there any vignetting ? thank you ?

Tullio

Great shots from all these different lenses (some clearly better than others). My question is, is there some sort of adapter system that will provide the conversion from all these different brand mounts to m4/3 simply by adding/removing rings (or something like that) or one must have a gazillion adapters, one for each mount type?

JBurnett

Great shots from all these different lenses (some clearly better than others). My question is, is there some sort of adapter system that will provide the conversion from all these different brand mounts to m4/3 simply by adding/removing rings (or something like that) or one must have a gazillion adapters, one for each mount type?
There are numerous adapters to 4/3 format. One can use these along with a 4/3 to m4/3 adapter. JinFinance also does this with their Nikon/OM/Pentax adapters, too. There is a common base adapter, with different intermediate adapters. However, other legacy lenses (such as Canon FD) need their own adapter.

Another example -- one can purchase a Leica thread mount (LTM) to m/43 adapter, or a LTM to Leica M adapter, and a Leica M to m4/3 adapter. The former route is cheaper and less complicated if one has only LTM lenses. The latter route is more flexible if one has both LTM and Leica-M lenses.

Whether or not a base+intermediate adapter system is viable, will depend on register distance and special coupling requirements.

Tullio

Thanks for all the info., John. The bottom line is, I will have to purchase multiple adapters if I want to use different brands/mounts on my G1. Oh well!

pellicle

which is why some of us focus on 1 or 2 lens types

however you can get 4/3 adaptors much more cheaply (well the gap seems to be closing) than micro4/3 adaptors. If you get a 4/3 to micro 4/3 and mount the others it will be cheaper

it might be less accurate for infinity focus and with 3 joining surfaces rather than 3 it will also be less "rigid"

Tullio

...however you can get 4/3 adaptors much more cheaply (well the gap seems to be closing) than micro4/3 adaptors. If you get a 4/3 to micro 4/3 and mount the others it will be cheaper
I'm not sure about that. The 4/3 to m4/3 adapter costs $180. I paid $37 for my Pentax K to m4/3 and I am watching a Canon FD to m4/3 on my eBay being sold for $39. I can get 3-5 adapters for the price of the 4/3-m4/3 alone.

Tullio

I actually have a question regarding the G1 OIS system. Do I have to switch the image stabilization mode to OFF when shooting with those manual lenses? If so, whay? I'd think not since the G1 does not have an in-body IS system. I'm curious.

JBurnett

I actually have a question regarding the G1 OIS system. Do I have to switch the image stabilization mode to OFF when shooting with those manual lenses? If so, whay? I'd think not since the G1 does not have an in-body IS system. I'm curious.
Rather than on the body, an OIS switch is on each lens that has this feature (14-45, 14-140, 45-200, 45 macro). The 20mm and 7-14 zoom do not have OIS, so there is nothing to turn off. Likewise with legacy manual lenses.

pellicle

I'm not sure about that.
I am ...

The 4/3 to m4/3 adapter costs $180. I paid $37 for my Pentax K to m4/3 and I am watching a Canon FD to m4/3 on my eBay being sold for $39. I can get 3-5 adapters for the price of the 4/3-m4/3 alone.
I guess you are quoting the price of an electronic mount one ... since you would be intending to use it with legacy lenses that would be unrequired. as I assumed this was the case (as you had been discussing that) I discussed what I did.

jinfinance sells (or did sell) kits for under US$100 which came with that and your choice of 2 micro4/3 to XX adaptors ...

I am often left wondering in this day and age with so much online why people are not able to do a quick google about on this sort of topic and seem to harbour ideas such as this and others like:
*you can't mount this on micro 4/3
* micro 4/3 has a smaller sensor