The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My DMC-G1 with manual focus lenses

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Beautiful results.
With all the good stuff posted, I decided to keep the G1.
Thanks for helping in the decision to all.
Shooter

pellicle

Great results! At 735g, I would have thought this lens would be real handful on the front of the G1, though.
I dunno ... I find the balance nice on my FD 300 f4. I balance the lens in my hand and the camera just sits lightly at the back ;-)

Just for perspective

Back in spring ... hand held

hodad66

Yea.... what pellicle said..... :)

I carry and shoot with the lens in my hand. I purchased a
200mm f4 macro specifically because it had a tripod socket
but if the 2.8 keeps proving to be hand - holdable I may
just sell the 200/4.

JBurnett

I dunno ... I find the balance nice on my FD 300 f4. I balance the lens in my hand and the camera just sits lightly at the back ;-)
Yes, I'm sure it suits some shooters just fine, and I get the fact that one balances the lens in-hand with the camera attached. Nonetheless, I'd welcome (and use) the tripod mount on that 300. I'm not sure if the 200 2.8 came with one (?)

hodad66

I'm not sure if the 200 2.8 came with one (?)
No, it has no socket or space for a tripod ring... at 200mm it
probably wasn't needed but at 400mm it takes concentration
depending upon the ambient light levels.

I picked up the Monfratto lens support specifically for the 200/2.8
if needed.... so far I haven't used it.

another example, hand held, early am, which shows the DOF

and YES it is cropped.....

Last edited:
M

meilicke

My G1 with the FD 85-300 plus 2x tele balances just fine, but it is awfully heavy (sorry for the terrible picture - iPhone at night).

View attachment 25669

The tele is interesting - a 2x Vivitar close focus. It allows for some degree of focusing with the tele, giving a closer min focusing distance than without it.

-Scott

JBurnett

My G1 with the FD 85-300 plus 2x tele balances just fine,
Ye gods, 340-1200mm equivalency! Now you've got me thinking. Hey, there's a used Zoom-Nikkor ED 360-1200mm for sale on eBay just now...

Oh, wait. It's f/11 and weighs 7.1 kilograms (15.65 lbs). And it's $11,000 US. :eek:

M

meilicke

Ye gods, 340-1200mm equivalency! Now you've got me thinking. Hey, there's a used Zoom-Nikkor ED 360-1200mm for sale on eBay just now...

Oh, wait. It's f/11 and weighs 7.1 kilograms (15.65 lbs). And it's $11,000 US. :eek:
It is quite fun :) There are the aperture limitations, as well as needing to stop down for best results. KEH has the 300 f4 for a very reasonable price, and the 400 4.5 for not much more, <$400. Hrm, 1600mm effective...

I do wish I had a 1.4x, as I suspect the 2x converter is taking away more than I would like.

hodad66

hodad

you getting pretty good at that :)

and you're tempting me into getting that 200 f2.8 myself
I got the one with internal focus from KEH.... others were
on Ebay but they were the older ones that extended with
the focus. I have to admit that I miss zoom but you don't
get zoom with low light performance. :rolleyes: