The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My DMC-G1 with manual focus lenses

T

tash

May be you can list all lenses that you have used with G1 and rating them according to your preferences. Don't have to be technical. This review should be useful for other G1 users who crave for classic manual focus lenses.

Still wait for a LM to G1 adaptor from Jinfinance. Don't know why it took so long as I paid him through my paypal on 11/2 and he promised to ship withing 2 business days. Not worth to have to wait for almost 3 weeks just to save some bugs.

Enjoy looking at your pics.
Just my 2 satang,
Teera

R

Ranger 9

May be you can list all lenses that you have used with G1 and rating them according to your preferences. Don't have to be technical. This review should be useful for other G1 users who crave for classic manual focus lenses.
I would appreciate such a list as well! Nothing fancy, just three columns with lens name, very subjective quality rating (simple * to *** system?) and "Remarks" (does it focus to infinity? does it require grinding the mount? How severe is vignetting?) etc.

Maybe someone could start a Google Docs spreadsheet or something, so all our lens experimenters could contribute to this...

Still wait for a LM to G1 adaptor from Jinfinance. Don't know why it took so long as I paid him through my paypal on 11/2 and he promised to ship withing 2 business days.
My guess is that it's taking so long because that was right about the time he discovered -- after several complaints, including one from me -- that his manufacturer was making the adapters too thick, causing lenses to be unable to focus to infinity. Once he found out about that, I would hope that he stopped shipping the defective ones.

I had a message from him last week saying that he had gotten the problem corrected and had a new batch manufactured; told me he would start shipping them Tuesday (3/2.) It might be worth reminding him that he owes you one -- he seems pretty conscientious, but we have this saying in the USA that "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"...

B

butterdada

Thanks for your opinions.
I'm still tryining lots of manual lenses.
But my DMC-G1 stays at my firend's home for a long time.
After it comes back, I will to to test. And a complete results will be wriiten.

T

tash

My guess is that it's taking so long because that was right about the time he discovered -- after several complaints, including one from me -- that his manufacturer was making the adapters too thick, causing lenses to be unable to focus to infinity. Once he found out about that, I would hope that he stopped shipping the defective ones.

I had a message from him last week saying that he had gotten the problem corrected and had a new batch manufactured; told me he would start shipping them Tuesday (3/2.) It might be worth reminding him that he owes you one -- he seems pretty conscientious, but we have this saying in the USA that "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"...
Jinfinance just emailed me. He insisted that the adaptor was sent to me on 2/13 but still I haven't received it. This is a conflicting info. If he got a new batch just recently how can he shipped on to me some 17 days ago?

R

robertasumendi

The Arri Distagon looks great! Fun shots to be had wide open and stopped down....

R

Ranger 9

Jinfinance just emailed me. He insisted that the adaptor was sent to me on 2/13 but still I haven't received it. This is a conflicting info. If he got a new batch just recently how can he shipped on to me some 17 days ago?
I'd say you're entitled to an answer to that question from him. I've found him to be responsive so far, but obviously can't guarantee that he's equally responsive to every communication.

You have a tricky case because it falls right into the area when controversy began to surface about those adapters. I checked my correspondence from him and noted that his message to me about the thickness problem on 2/15... so your 2/13 shipment might have been just before he realized/acknowledged there was an issue.

As to why it didn't reach you, who knows... maybe once he knew there were problems, he activated the self-destruct system :)

T

tash

... maybe once he knew there were problems, he activated the self-destruct system :)
Wow, I'm glad that I didn't put the self-destruct adpotor on my g1. So, I will continue to wait and wait and counting the days (19 waiting days now) until I cannot take it no more and order an adaptor from new sources. Looking at pics taking from legacy lenses in this forum make me feel even worse.:mad:

ricseet

HI thank you for sharing with us. I enjoyed viewing the your postings.
I have a G1 but do not have any legacy lens.

ric

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Personally I think Rong Jin has a very friendly approach and serviceminded attitude on the issues.
He has immediately answered my emails and he has promised to send me a new adapter.
I'm sure he will quickly respond to any question if you email him.

Arne Hvaring

butterdada, thank you for posting all this material, nice shots! As far as I can judge, even the WA images are sharp at the edges. There has been reports of softness or blur near the edges when using third party lenses on the G1. I just received a Rayqual adapter for M-mount lenses, and initial tests (with Zeiss 25 mm Biogon) seem to confirm the softness issue. It has been suggested by Guy and Barjohn a.o. that the lens correction integrated in Silkypix and ACR actually causes this blurring when used with non-dedicated M4:3 lenses. So I wonder what your take is on this, given the great number of lenses you have used on the camera. Which RAW converter btw. do you prefer?
On a related note, does anyone know of a RAW converter for G1 (PC) that doesn't have the built in lens correction?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Arne, in post # 11 butterdada mentions Silkypix, though I don't know if that means that all his images were converted with Silkypix ...

And butterdada, I agree with Arne, your images are very nice indeed and they make excellent illustrations of lens performance. Thanks for your efforts with this and for posting them here.

m3photo

Re: RJ aka "jinfinance"

Personally I think Rong Jin has a very friendly approach and serviceminded attitude on the issues.
He has immediately answered my emails and he has promised to send me a new adapter.
I'm sure he will quickly respond to any question if you email him.
I'll second that. In my case it's an L39 adapter that can't reach infinity with a CV lens and he's offered a replacement at no extra cost with no requirement to send back the first unit. He is a good businessman and he'll definitely have me as a client for more of his products.