The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Oly E620 no m4/3 yet

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
But exactly what I want. With the 11-22, the 50 macro and the 70-300, this seems to be a dream of a travel camera. I can hardly wait.

K

kiloran

Its been hinted at over on DPReview that the G1HD will be launched today. Here's hoping that there is a lens annoucement to go with it as well...

kevinparis

the 620 looks kinda good... kinda struggling to understand who the e-30 is for now. I can see the differences... just for me they don't add up to the extra cost of the e-30.

But then again... its all to do with marketing and hitting certain categories and price points

Still its encouraging that Oly are still showing commitment to the full 4/3 format

jonoslack

HI There
it looks excellent to me - almost as small as the 420, but with IS and a twisty LCD . .. .if it was weathersealed I'd have one myself.

clay stewart

HI There
it looks excellent to me - almost as small as the 420, but with IS and a twisty LCD . .. .if it was weathersealed I'd have one myself.
Yeah, weather sealed would have been nice. Incremental advances on the focus and viewfinder, which are what was needed most, on the 420, but I don't know if it's enough for me to get one. I still think they should make a pro spec body the size of the 420,(think OM1) even if it does have a big hump of a viewfinder.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Frankly folks this maybe all we see for PMA. This stuff would have been announced by now. Been watching these announcements for years and at this point this close to the show . Everyones cards may have been dealt out. There is hope . I know for a fact something is going to be announced soon but more my area than this area. I ain't talking either. LOL

jonoslack

Frankly folks this maybe all we see for PMA. This stuff would have been announced by now. Been watching these announcements for years and at this point this close to the show . Everyones cards may have been dealt out. There is hope . I know for a fact something is going to be announced soon but more my area than this area. I ain't talking either. LOL
HI Guy
I quite agree in general terms (i.e. all new announcements before shows), but Olympus do things in dribs and drabs sometimes, and they may be pushing this one out now so that they can do a big announcement just before (without them bumping into each other). They may also have a much more advanced prototype to show at PMA.

Clay - I quite agree with you. Small high quality weathersealed - it seems to me to be a no-brainer - but it's seemed to me to be a no-brainer ever since the E1 appeared and they made those nice weathersealed lenses . . . since then it's only been the E3 (which isn't exactly small).

Maybe they know better than us!

Terry

We haven't had a m4/3 Panny announcement yet but I did read a rumor that it was coming tonight. Reading the tea leaves from Brian Mosley's posts seems Oly's m4/3 effort may be something for the fall.

Diane B

We haven't had a m4/3 Panny announcement yet but I did read a rumor that it was coming tonight. Reading the tea leaves from Brian Mosley's posts seems Oly's m4/3 effort may be something for the fall.
Yes, I saw the same thing. I now have a bit of money burning a hole in my pocket (BD gift LOL) and would like to think a new lens (perhaps the 7-14 f/4) would be coming soon to spend it. I know I will buy the 20 f/1.7 in the Fall--unless its awful, and I'm not expecting that.

I'll be checking the PMA news this evening.

Diane

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The most surprising thing about the E-620 is that Olympus have actually listened to their customers. So many cameras launched these days contain features and gimmicks that people haven't asked for, and that aren't even well executed. No surprise that it's Olympus who do these kind of incremental improvements though. They were doing that on the OM cameras for over 20 years within the same form factor.

The lack of weather sealing is probably a cost question. In these financially challenging times, they need to keep their cash-flow running. That means selling most new cameras by the truckload, and they don't do that if they aren't at a competitive price point. Unfortunately, enthusiasts taking photos in bad weather represent a tiny portion of the market. Think of all the "I received my new camera/lens two weeks ago, but haven't been able to take any photos yet, since it's been cloudy" posts you have read at the "dp-hit-each-other-on-the-head-with-a-camera-or-something-harder-review-forums".

Brian Mosley

Off to bed now, but had a fantastic hands on session with the E-620 today - I've posted some pics to our Announcements Page and will add more tomorrow.

Olympus really seem to be maturing the 4/3rds system with incremental improvements where it counts. The body feels very tough to me - they're using glass fibre reinforced plastic in the new E-620 and E-30 which gives strength without weight.

Kind Regards

Brian

Lili

I love my e410, so I am glad to see Oly supporting 4/3 with this very attractive new model.
Tempting, very tempting.....

N

nei1

If leica hadnt "forgotten"to weatherseal their M8 theyd have a deal more respect,the fact that its expected on the 620 just illustrates what a mistake they made.

Brian Mosley

Hi Lili, I would have zero qualms about recommending the E-620 to you... It's a very very worthwhile upgrade from the E-420 (and E-410/E-400) in the same style shell.

Stronger, better IQ, faster, more flexible... Fantastic!

Keep an eye out for more updates as soon as we get them.

Kind Regards

Brian

Rawfa

I wonder that the G1HD will bring other than the ability to shoot video...and how much will it cost. Can you imagine if it show up for the same price as the G1 and they drop the G1's price.

R

Ranger 9

Frankly folks this maybe all we see for PMA. This stuff would have been announced by now.
Folks in this thread from Depressed and Petulant Review were being told by Olympus at a British show that they would have an "announcement" at PMA, but their actual Micro Four Thirds cameras would be out in June.