The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2, etc. ... Peculiarities

k-hawinkler

Many thanks marlof for the kind feedback. Much appreciated.

In this image the 15 Sandhill cranes are circling in a thermal to gain height.

E-M1.2 + 40-150/2.8 @ f/4.

As the cranes can fly up to several hundred miles in one day, they can easily reach the Monte Vista National Wildlife Refuge, CO from the Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge near Socorro, NM south of Albuquerque. Interestingly the Monte Vista Crane Festival is from 2017.02.10-12 whereas the Festival of the Cranes in Socorro was from 2016.11.15-20. The cranes hang around Monte Vista for several weeks before moving on.

k-hawinkler

How can you tell and where is your 300/4, K-H ?
:salute:
Thanks Bart.

Well, I probably should have said the cranes are flying towards me, or sideways, or away from me. One can clearly see that when they are approaching from afar, passing by, or moving further away. The same patterns one can also observe when the cranes are circling in a thermal.

This was a pretty small flock. Typical ones consists of many more cranes. The 300/4 lens would be great to take images of individual or just a few cranes. Its FOV is too narrow to capture an entire flock. Even for this small one, using 150 mm focal length, the flock of 15 cranes filled most of the frame of the E-M1.2.

Using the E-M1.1 to take images of planes flying by overhead I noticed a lot of focus hunting. With the E-M1.2 and C-AF there was none, same for the cranes. So the 300/4 lens will come in handy on the E-M1.2 to take pictures of individual birds like Hawks, Turkey Vultures, Sandhill Cranes, or Hummingbirds and Butterflies. :grin:

Knorp

Thanks Bart.

Well, I probably should have said the cranes are flying towards me, or sideways, or away from me. One can clearly see that when they are approaching from afar, passing by, or moving further away. The same patterns one can also observe when the cranes are circling in a thermal.

This was a pretty small flock. Typical ones consists of many more cranes. The 300/4 lens would be great to take images of individual or just a few cranes. Its FOV is too narrow to capture an entire flock. Even for this small one, using 150 mm focal length, the flock of 15 cranes filled most of the frame of the E-M1.2.

Using the E-M1.1 to take images of planes flying by overhead I noticed a lot of focus hunting. With the E-M1.2 and C-AF there was none, same for the cranes. So the 300/4 lens will come in handy on the E-M1.2 to take pictures of individual birds like Hawks, Turkey Vultures, Sandhill Cranes, or Hummingbirds and Butterflies. :grin:
Thank you, K-H. I'd have thought those cranes were flying pretty high. So, too high for 150 and you had to crop quite a bit. But it seems I was wrong.
However, I'd like to challenge you to take out the long gun while the cranes are still there.
Oh, one more thing - I'll be happy with a 'nearest eye autofocus' shot, thank you very much ... :p

k-hawinkler

Thank you, K-H. I'd have thought those cranes were flying pretty high. So, too high for 150 and you had to crop quite a bit. But it seems I was wrong.
However, I'd like to challenge you to take out the long gun while the cranes are still there.
Oh, one more thing - I'll be happy with a 'nearest eye autofocus' shot, thank you very much ... :p

Many thanks Bart. On a scale from 1 (very low) to 10 (extremely high) that flock of 15 cranes probably deserves a score of 5 or 6.
BTW, when I took those shots I had forgotten to switch OFF nearest Eye-AF. :facesmack:

Here is a shot from 2007.02.19 @ 10:45:43 AM. Those cranes were down to level 1 before they finally managed to soar back up in a thermal right above our house.
I vividly remember that I felt the pressure wave emanating from their wings. Unfortunately I had to leave and catch a plane, but my wife and daughter kept on shooting.

Nikon D200 + 70-200/2.8 + 2x TC @ 400mm APS-C or 600mm FF equivalent, corresponding to the FOV of 300/4 Pro on E-M1.2.

I had just gotten my D200 a few weeks earlier and shot at that time only in JPEG. :banghead:
Never since have I seen the Sandhill cranes get that low during their migration.
I still have the D200 as I like the colors it produces.
It's in great working order and only needed the electronics board replaced that controls the shutter. :thumbup:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
K-H,

while I like the D200 shot I very much prefer the colors of the EM1.2 shots.

But it is fair to mention that there are 10+ years between those sensor technologies :cool:

Peter

k-hawinkler

Thanks Peter. The E-M1.2 is a game changer for me. You have spelled out the various improvements.
One really important one for me is C-AF focusing speed. No more hunting in my experience. :thumbup:

k-hawinkler

Before the Olympus 40-150/2.8 and 300/4 Pro lenses existed, I used a lot the Olympus 75-300/4.8-6.7 II lens, as it delivered images pleasing to my eyes.

Here is an image from 2013.06.22, the day after the lens was delivered. An American Robin feeding its youngster. The little guy was merciless, demanding food. The mother barely managed to eat herself.

E-M5 + 75-300f4.8-6.7 II

So, I decided to mount that lens on the E-M1.2 with the understanding that a system benefits from a better sensor and/or better lens.

This is the place where Santa Fe, NM can take water for up tp 50,000 people out of the Rio Grande.

E-M1.2 + 75-300/4.8-6.7 II

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well K-H,

you seem to be lucky with your 75-300.

I owned this lens and sold it long time ago because it delivered inconsistent results especially at the longer end (used at this time on the EM1.1).

Anyway I would have loved to use this lens because of its weight and size, but I really was not satisfied. Now I definitely will no more go back again :cool:

k-hawinkler

Today Sandhill cranes were on the move.

And with Auto Contrast the image looks like this.

E-M1.2 + 75-300/4.8-6.7 II

ptomsu

Workshop Member
K-H,

I prefer the image without auto-contrast. Makes the sky look so much more realistic ...

Peter

k-hawinkler

Thanks Peter, I completely agree.
The first image pretty much shows the sky that I saw it with my own eyes.
The second unrealistic looking image better separates the cranes from the sky.

I am amazed I could get this single image at all with the E-M1.2.
I don't think I could have with the E-M1 hunting for focus.

We heard the cranes overhead.
By the time I got my camera and went outside they were gone.
So I looked through the EVF, scanning the sky somewhat above the horizon in the general direction we had heard them.
The cranes were already at too great a distance to see unaided.
I had the cranes in the frame for only a split second, focused and exposed. Nice!
All my cameras are set up to require focus in order to expose, also for C-AF.

Here the cranes are in their typical V formation, but the 300mm focal length compresses the distances so that the V formation appears as a line. :grin:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Beautiful pic!

Increasing contrast usually requires some desaturation to keep the colors looking more natural. It works wonders with skin tone.

--Matt

k-hawinkler

Thank you Matt for the feedback. Much appreciated.
I will give a bit of desaturation a try. :thumbup:

@ 60% Desaturation. :thumbup:

Thanks again Matt. :salute:

Last edited: