The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2, etc. ... Peculiarities

f6cvalkyrie

K-H, don't forget to fill the fridge with food and drinks for the 7 weeks you will have to stay inside to receive the parcel !
:grin::):loco:

Have fun,
Rafael

k-hawinkler

K-H, don't forget to fill the fridge with food and drinks for the 7 weeks you will have to stay inside to receive the parcel !
:grin::):loco:

Have fun,
Rafael

Rafael, you are so funny! :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:
I got this update today from Amazon: Your new estimated delivery date is: Friday, March 4, 2016 :thumbs: :clap: :LOL:

And wonder what's going on? :loco: :facesmack: :banghead:

Looking forward to Friday though! :grin:

k-hawinkler

It's Friday March 4 now, or at least where I live ... :p, so what about it, K-H ?

:watch:
Well Bart, the Olympus 300/4 PRO lens was delivered shortly after 5 PM on March 3 and before the promised 8 PM deadline. :thumbup:
I took a few shots when it was already getting darker.

The first example is a 100% crop of 2100x1181 pixels shot at f/4.
Distance to the mountains with the small fire look out station on top about 10 miles.
Turbulence in the air had already died down and the lens delivers quite a bit of detail.

Next is a shot of a telephone pole about 100 yards away. Distance to the mountains in the background again about 10 miles. Shot at f/4, no sharpening applied.

And finally a 100% crop.

I noticed two things when handling the lens.

• The hood mechanism is slightly different from the one of the 40-150/2.8 PRO lens. There I actually can easily remove the retracted hood. I have not found a way to do that for the 300/4 lens.
• The gap between the lens and the tripod foot isn't quite large enough so that I can stick my fingers in to hold the lens. However, the lens comes with an extra short ring segment so that one can swap out the tripod foot segment.

Other than that the lens handles pretty well on my E-M1 with PBH and a peakdesignltd.com clutch (camera hand strap).

Next I will add the Olympus MC-14 1.4x Teleconverter and EE-1 Dot Sight. :grin:
It seems the Spring Sandhill Crane migration is already mostly over so I have to find some other photographic subjects. :thumbup:

Knorp

That's looking pretty good, K-H.
Hope you still manage to catch some of the crane migration.
Or when will it be time again for the hummingbirds ?

Anyway, congrats and happy shooting !

k-hawinkler

That's looking pretty good, K-H.
Hope you still manage to catch some of the crane migration.
Or when will it be time again for the hummingbirds ?

Anyway, congrats and happy shooting !

Many thanks Bart. No cranes today. Hummingbirds and Turkey Vultures should be back by mid April. :thumbup:
Here is a 100% crop from today, 1988x1988 pixels.

E-M1 + M.300mm F4.0 + MC-14 @ FL=420 mm, F/8, ISO=200, 1/160 s

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks for the posts K-H.

It looks that this lens in combo with the upcoming 20MP sensors in Olympus m43 cameras would allow for a killer combo.

Peter

Knorp

I noticed two things when handling the lens.

• The hood mechanism is slightly different from the one of the 40-150/2.8 PRO lens. There I actually can easily remove the retracted hood. I have not found a way to do that for the 300/4 lens.
• The gap between the lens and the tripod foot isn't quite large enough so that I can stick my fingers in to hold the lens. However, the lens comes with an extra short ring segment so that one can swap out the tripod foot segment.

Hi K-H, apparently the lens hood is fixed to the lens.
From the manual:

Attachments

k-hawinkler

Orion

E-M5.2 + M.300mm F4.0 @ FL=300 mm, F/4, ISO=6,400, 1/25 s, hand held, manual exposure, IS set to On.

In Menu Panel D the Live View Boost parameters are set to On1 so that one can see the above image in the EVF.
Also I believe I used S-AF with focus on any point, Rls Priority Off and Silent Shutter.