The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2, etc. ... Peculiarities

Knorp

Mmm, you seem to have scared the birds ... :p

The Oly 300 is a great lens and honestly I'm start doubting that PL 100-400 as to me most of the sample images are rather underwhelming.
Oh well, we'll see.

Kind regards.

k-hawinkler

Many thanks Bart and Dave for your feedback.

At this point I have been concentrating on my gear, namely E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2 and primarily Olympus lenses.
Once the PL 100-400 is actually available and more or less a community consensus has been formed I will pay more or less attention to that lens. :grin:
So, I have no opinion to offer about the IQ of the PL 100-400 at this time, but think the 100-400 range would be very useful.

Back to my 6 MFT tele lenses that all get used on E-M1, E-M5, and E-M5.2.
I would divide those near to far tele lenses into 4 groups, all very useful to me.

1.) M.40-150/4-5.6 R, M.75-300/4.8-6.7 II

2.) M.40-150/2.8 PRO, M.300/4 PRO and the 1.4x Teleconverter MC-14

3.) M.60/2.8 MACRO

4.) Leica DG NOCTICRON 42.5/1.2 ASPH

The first group of lenses has been and still is pretty useful as walk around lenses.
But now that I have the lenses of the second group, the lenses in the first group will see less use.
The lenses in group 3.) and 4.) are really specialty lenses and a lot of fun.

Back to group 2.)

The image quality of those 2 lenses, even in combination with the MC-14, is remarkable IMHO. Please, note the examples above.
The M.300/4 PRO can be used effectively with all 3 cameras, E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2 - provided they have been updated to the latest FW.
On the E-M1 and E-M5.2 Lens IS of the 300/4 contributes Pitch and Yaw, whereas IBIS provides Roll, X and Y image stabilization.
On the E-M5 X and Y image stabilization are missing, but the others are supported.
Please note when focusing at infinity the X and Y image stabilization contributions vanish.
Therefore for close up shots I prefer using the 300/4 lens on either the E-M1 or the E-M5.2.

These two tele lenses have convinced me of the usefulness of MFT gear so that I prefer it over, for example, my Nikon D800E and AF-S 80-400/4.5-5.6 lens - unless focusing speed is paramount.
However, I find the focusing accuracy of my mirrorless cameras superior to that of my DSLRs. Also, I find the MFT IQ competitive with FF systems - provided there is enough light.

So, having multiple lenses ready on the 3 cameras, I don't see the need to add additional MFT tele lenses at this time. :)

k-hawinkler

Cruising at 40,000 feet - or BIF :LOL: :ROTFL: :grin:

E-M1 + M.300mm F4.0 + MC-14 @ FL=420 mm, F/5.6, ISO=320, 1/1000 s, shot from ~ 6000 feet :clap:

k-hawinkler

Sandhill Cranes on 2016.02.28 - This was a few days before the M.300mm F4.0 arrived!

Here they come ...

And here they go.

E-M5.2 + M.75-300/4.8-6.7 II @ FL=300 mm, F/6.7, ISO=100/160, 1/640 s

dhsimmonds

Thank you Karl-Heinz

Whilst I quite understand the frustration Robin was suffering about the lack of zoom and flat lighting, he has made a very decent fist of his safari images and the clarity and sharpness of this lens shines through in my opinion. In fact the animal portraits were probably helped by the available lighting as in my experience of many safari's in Africa, the harsh contrasty lighting can sometimes be more difficult for animal "close ups".

k-hawinkler

Thank you Karl-Heinz

Whilst I quite understand the frustration Robin was suffering about the lack of zoom and flat lighting, he has made a very decent fist of his safari images and the clarity and sharpness of this lens shines through in my opinion. In fact the animal portraits were probably helped by the available lighting as in my experience of many safari's in Africa, the harsh contrasty lighting can sometimes be more difficult for animal "close ups".

Many thanks Dave. I agree about the lighting.
Although I have never been in Africa, here in the mountains of Northern New Mexico humidity can be exceedingly low, especially in the winter.
Midday light in full sunshine can be very harsh. My favorite conditions are early morning and late afternoon with long shadows under partially cloudy skies! :grin:
Natural light doesn't get better than that! :clap:

A couple years ago, while taking pictures, I had a nice conversation with a gentleman who turned out to be a local sculptor from one of the pueblos around here.
He told me that he would take photographs of his finished sculptures only at around 4 PM with available light. :)

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

E-M1 + M.300mm F4.0 + MC-14 @ FL=420 mm, F/5.6, ISO=200, 1/1000 s. Line of sight distance to tower about a mile.

k-hawinkler

I think he was too busy with monitoring his power output and hydration management on his 195 mile bicycle ride to pick holes in the new BigTuna lens's performance.

scott

Thanks scott. I would really hate to have to return my lens - if Lloyd finds a fatal flaw! :banghead: :grin: :LOL:

So far I have been enjoying myself with the new lens, as the visitors to the Bandelier caves seem to be doing as well! :)
I doesn't seem to matter whether they are young or old. Everybody has to climb those ladders and get into a few caves! :thumbs:

E-M1 + M.300mm F4.0 + MC-14 @ FL=420 mm, F/8, ISO=200, 1/640 s.

Well, there is no place nearby to shoot a picture of this particular cave with a similar frame, unless one hovers in mid air or attaches the camera to a long pole. :ROTFL:
However, quadcopters are outlawed in National Parks, such as Bandelier National Monument.
And the E-M1 + M.300mm F4.0 + MC-14 I find a lot more convenient than a long stick! :grin:
Also, unfortunately in late morning when this image was shot, the light is pretty harsh in bright sunshine. :face smack:
But not many visitors are around early or late in the day. :(

E-M1 + M.300mm F4.0 + MC-14 @ FL=420 mm, F/8, ISO=320, 1/400 s.

Last edited: