The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2, etc. ... Peculiarities

k-hawinkler

Saint Peter's Dome, NM.

E-M1 + M.300mm F4.0 + MC-14 @ FL=420 mm, F/5.6, ISO=160, 1/1000 s. I like the challenging lighting! :facesmack:

k-hawinkler

k-hawinkler , nice pics. Are you doing a hiking trip somewhere?

Thank you mazor. No, I live here in Los Alamos (White Rock), New Mexico.
New Mexico is also often referred to as the "Land of Enchantment".
All the pictures were taken either in my backyard or within 10 to 15 minutes of driving and fairly short hikes of a couple of miles.

For example Bandelier National Monument's Visitor Center is just 10 miles from my house and the Monument itself one of my favorite hiking spots. The Monument is huge and has extensive backcountry trails, some requiring overnight camping. But the main Frijoles Canyon with its many caves, ruins, Frijoles Creek, and a couple of water falls extends about a mile each in opposite directions from the Visitor Center.

From Los Alamos or White Rock one has a spectacular view of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains from Santa Fe all the way to Taos - the latter about 70 miles of line of sight away, or to Sandia Mountain near Albuquerque. Then there is the Valle Grande with its enormous caldera in the Jemez Mountains to the west.

We are also in the fly way of the Sandhill Cranes and Canadian geese that winter further south at the Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge near Socorro, NM.

I should really enlarge my circle of daily photography by a bit to include Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Taos, and the Sangre de Cristo and Jemez mountains as well as the Rio Grande valley.

I posted many more of my local images here
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/56138-a7r-a7r2-why-im-keeping-both.html
and here
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/49470-a7r-why-im-keeping.html.

mazor

I must get my Nocticron out again. Been enjoying the Canon 50mm f1.2L speed boosted to give 36mm f0.95.

Here is a shot I took today while randomly waiting for lunch to be served

k-hawinkler

Many thanks mazor. The Nocticron is one of my all-time favorite lenses. Here are a few images from last year.

Approaching the Roost in Acrobatic Fashion.

More TuVus are Arriving.

Playing Musical Shares - or Finding the Spot for the Night.

E-M5.2 + Nocticron

k-hawinkler

I recently pointed my E-M5.2 and 300/4 Pro at this sign

and lo and behold the camera's face recognition put a tight frame just around the face. :clap: :grin:

k-hawinkler

An alert Hummingbird at its observation post.

Looking up, no attack from there at the moment, good!

All clear at the back too!

Need to stretch bit.

Ah, finally relaxing.

E-M1 + M.300mm F4.0 + MC-14 @ FL=420 mm, F/5.6, ISO=400 or 500, 1/1000 s, un-cropped.

k-hawinkler

I really like the hummingbird series, K-H.
Excellent :thumbup:

Kind regards.

Many thanks Bart. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Next, here is a stepping dove. :LOL:

E-M1 + M.300mm F4.0 + MC-14 @ FL=420 mm, F/5.6, ISO=1600, 1/1000 s.

k-hawinkler

Watchful Dove - Watching the Photographer!

E-M1 + M.300mm F4.0 + MC-14 @ FL=420 mm, F/5.6, ISO=400, 1/1000 s.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Q. How do bees breathe? According to http://osu.libanswers.com/agnic_bees/faq/18733, quote:

"The following information comes from a book called "The biology of the honey bee" by Mark L. Winston. p. 34. "Bees have no lungs for breathing; rather they use a system of tubes which carry oxygen to and carbon dioxide away from cells. This system of breathing tubes, or tracheae, is connected to the outside world by a series of holes in the cuticle called spiracles. When the bee is inactive gas exchange can operate simply by diffusion, but during periods of increased activity bees pump their abdomens to increase gas exchange, using expanded sacs of the trachea as bellows (Bailey, 1954)." "

Well, let's see. Here is an image taken with E-M1 + 300/4 PRO + MC-14, so at 420 mm.

Right after this image I pressed the video button and got this 1080p video. It's the third file on https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-by-Subjects/Bee-videos/i-skqTHPt

I really never noticed consciously before the pumping of the bees abdomen.