The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2, etc. ... Peculiarities

k-hawinkler

Thanks Bart. An interesting question! :facesmack:
I never noticed the bird until I looked at the images on my computer.
I shot several sequences but the bird showed up only in one image.
That guy must be pretty fast! :ROTFL: :LOL: :ROTFL:

k-hawinkler

Bandelier National Monument is just a 10 min drive from my house.
Here are 2 shots from today on an overcast day.

Olympus E-M1MarkII + LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5/F1.2 @ ISO 200, f/1.2, 1/160 s resp. 1/125 s.

Elderly

Absolutely, 40 feet seems quite a distance for catching a little bird's eye.
But as I said: give it a try ...
I thought I'd try it with something a little bigger - a herring gull,
but the 14-150 on my ancient EM1 doesn't do the business ;)

Maybe this image should be in the 16x9 thread instead? :p

Knorp

You're all so hopeless - it's not about a bigger bird you should just get yourself closer, much closer in fact ... :banghead:
I'd thought K-H was pretty close, but he missed the point, or should I say 'the eye', and failed miserably :rolleyes:

You guys take a pinch of salt, get out and start practicing and don't come back here before you succeed ... :LOL:

:chug:

:watch:

k-hawinkler

Maybe this image should be in the 16x9 thread instead? :p

Thanks Ian. Clearly the eye of the herring gull is in focus. I can see that from New Mexico! :shocked: :bugeyes: :facesmack: :banghead: :LOL:

k-hawinkler

You're all so hopeless - it's not about a bigger bird you should just get yourself closer, much closer in fact ... :banghead:
I'd thought K-H was pretty close, but he missed the point, or should I say 'the eye', and failed miserably :rolleyes:

You guys take a pinch of salt, get out and start practicing and don't come back here before you succeed ... :LOL:

Okay Bart, here we go.
Going grocery shopping at night is a good way to try out my new E-M1.2 with the Nocticron! Well night, Nocticron seem to go together! :ROTFL: :LOL: :bugeyes:

First shot from the parking lot at ISO 6400. :scry: IQ seems good enough for my aging eyes! :thumbup:

Encountering tree lights upon entering, ISO 640.

The friendly gentleman in charge of the sausages and cold cuts. I had center focus on his nose - but Face & Eye Priority On indeed focused on the nearest eye. The magic of technology at work! ISO 800. :thumbs:

And finally the friendly lady at the check-out counter. Again, miraculously the E-M1.2 focused on the nearest eye, despite center focus on her nose. ISO 1600 :thumbs: :grin:

Of course I asked for permission first before taking their picture. Standard question I get:"Are you from a newspaper?" My standard answer:"No, just trying out my new camera!" :grin:

Clearly, it's called Face & Eye Priority On for a reason, me thinks! Olympus plainly forgot to add the word Human in front of the word Face. :thumbs:

k-hawinkler

Well Bart, a little closer... :watch: Here most of the bird, including the eye, is in focus - but eye focus not used. :ROTFL: :LOL: :facesmack:

E-M1.2 + 300/4 Pro

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Where are the flowers ?
Good question Bart.

So, over night the temperatures dropped and rain turned into snow. We'll be waking up to a winter wonderland. By late morning the snow will have melted off the trees at our elevation of about 6500 feet and may last on the ground for a few days or not. At higher elevations of up to 13000 feet the snow will last until June. :thumbs:

Our fruit trees typically will have blossoms in April and then may get wiped out by late snow. Last year this happened to plum and apricot trees, so no fruit there. But our apple tree got lucky, no snow or freezing of the blossoms and we had lots of apples. Native trees are smarter and develop blossoms sufficiently later to avoid this.

Some flowers will pop up when the Hummingbirds return in late April. The bulk of wild flowers will show up in July and August at the higher elevations in the Rockies. That's when the Hummingbirds from further north may migrate south threw the Rockies although they may have migrated north along the pacific coast in late winter or early spring.

I need to get up early to take some pictures of the fresh snow before it melts off the trees :facesmack: