The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2, etc. ... Peculiarities

k-hawinkler

A few Images of the White Rock Visitors Center Area that in the Summer is the Staging Area for Shuttle Buses to Bandelier National Monument.

SR4 as seen from the Visitors Center.

View from the Visitors Center Parking Lot.

Across SR4.

The White Rock Visitors Center.

Along SR4 giant versions of native pottery have been placed. Here is an example.

E-M1.2 + 75/1.8 @ f/4

k-hawinkler

I love the bright bold colours here, K-H :thumbup:
Many thanks Bart. I agree. A bit of sunshine helps. This is what Northern New Mexico looks like most of the time - except lately - but we welcome the moisture California couldn't keep. :facesmack:
This view is a couple miles from the Visitor Center, next to the Rio Grande Canyon barely visible in the foreground. :grin:

E-M1.2 + 75/1.8 @ f/4

Here is a chart from LensTip.com for this lens on E-PL1. Unless there is significant copy variation, these measurements should improve with the E-M1.2. :thumbup:

Looking good! :grin:

k-hawinkler

Evening light ...

EM-1.1 still going strong, even at very low temperatures ...

C U,
Rafael

Thanks Rafael. That's a gorgeous image.
At the moment we have a cold spell. It's pretty lousy as soon as the Sun settles. Humidity is very low.

BTW, I still have and will keep my E-M1, E-M5, and E-M5.2 in addition to the new E-M1.2.
All these cameras take great pictures. The E-M1.2 can focus just a bit faster.

f6cvalkyrie

thanks, K-H ...
I'm happy with the image quality the original EM-1 gives me, even in a harsh environment like Russia in winter ... but even then, like every photographer, I still ask myself 'where to go from here' ... ???? Stay with µ4/3 means choosing between MkII EM-1 or the GH5 ... difficult ... or go ff with some mirrorless Sony ??? Or even something else ... ???

k-hawinkler

Thanks Rafael. Great points.

Although I will keep my Leica and Nikon gear (too many great lenses to waste and sell) I don't plan to spend significant money in that area. Those lenses are great to use with the TAP on PDAF Sony cameras BTW in autofocus mode, even manual only lenses. :thumbup:

Basically, I have focused on Sony (FF and APS-C format) and Olympus (m43 format) cameras and lenses. I also have the Nocticron from PL. This gear also covers video for me. IBIS is an important ingredient for my choosing. Good stabilization is also important to me when shooting video handheld.

I also have an DJI Mavic Pro drone on order to start getting some experience in that area.

The other new thing that interests me as well is MF, especially the Fuji GFX. But I am in no hurry and will observe how that develops for some time. I also would like to see what Sony is up to. :facesmack:

You have listed Belgium as your location, but you post a lot of images from Russia. May I ask how come?

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
K-H,

Personally, I don't care what you use,

But,

We must surely be due some of your lovely crane snaps soon:).

Elderly

I love the bright bold colours here, K-H :thumbup:
I was thinking similarly, but I put it down to K-H's talent and a quality of light that
one rarely sees here in the UK ......... and very little to do with 'what camera should I buy' :grin:.

k-hawinkler

Thanks gandolfi.

The Sandhill cranes should start heading north in about two weeks.
In the fall they have been flying generally so high that I could hear but not see them. Of course, I will keep an ear and an eye out for them. :grin:

k-hawinkler

I was thinking similarly, but I put it down to K-H's talent and a quality of light that
one rarely sees here in the UK ......... and very little to do with 'what camera should I buy' :grin:.
Absolutely correct Ian. Any camera will do around here. :facesmack:
They call New Mexico the Land of Enchantment for a reason. :thumbs:

Elderly

Absolutely correct Ian. Any camera will do around here. :facesmack:
They call New Mexico the Land of Enchantment for a reason. :thumbs:
Meanwhile typically here in the UK ...... this IS a colour photograph (turn your monitors through 90 degrees) :

k-hawinkler

Thanks Ian, great shot including some birds! Bart surely would like to know if you used Eye-AF? :shocked:

I have great memories of my time spent in the UK, a summer in Bournemouth as an exchange student learning English, attending a scientific conference in Cambridge, visiting fantastic London and its magnificent parks and museums, the underground/tube, etc. Sure it rained a lot.

My favorite part was the question I got from an elderly gentleman I asked for directions in my heavy German accent. He simply replied:"From which part of the world are you coming?" The emphasis he gave it was particularly enchanting. :clap: That phrase somehow stuck with me ever since for about 54 years. :facesmack:

Here are two more shots from yesterday, same camera and lens @ f/4. I only bought that Oly 75/1.8 lens fairly recently. It surely is a keeper for me.

k-hawinkler

Here is an image of an American Robin, one of my favorite images.
It was taken with the OM-D E-M5, APO-Telyt-R 280/4, and APO-Extender-R 2x.

f6cvalkyrie

You have listed Belgium as your location, but you post a lot of images from Russia. May I ask how come?
no reason why not ask, K-H ! My wife is Russian, and now that I'm not professionally active anymore, I spend half of the year in Russia ... I live in Russia 3 months in winter (now) and 3 months in summer ...

C U,
Rafael

k-hawinkler

no reason why not ask, K-H ! My wife is Russian, and now that I'm not professionally active anymore, I spend half of the year in Russia ... I live in Russia 3 months in winter (now) and 3 months in summer ...

C U,
Rafael

Many thanks Rafael. That sounds like a lot of fun.
You certainly take advantage of the photographic opportunities your arrangement offers in an exemplary way.
Capturing the mood of the different places is quite a challenge.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with us through your images. Much appreciated. Thanks again :thumbs:
I am always looking forward to your contributions.

Sometimes we get late snow in the middle of April - as happened in 2015.

E-M5.2 + Nocticron 42.5/1.2

Of course, that snow is gone by noon. But the freeze over night can kill the blossoms and it did.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Thanks gandolfi.

The Sandhill cranes should start heading north in about two weeks.
In the fall they have been flying generally so high that I could hear but not see them. Of course, I will keep an ear and an eye out for them. :grin:
How amazing must that be to hear the cranes but not see them.

Presumably by the time you hear them they are not there any more!.