The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2, etc. ... Peculiarities

bensonga

Here is an image of an American Robin, one of my favorite images.
It was taken with the OM-D E-M5, APO-Telyt-R 280/4, and APO-Extender-R 2x.
Terrific photo K-H of a bird that often gets little respect. Question: Was your E-M5 on a tripod or monopod when you took this photo? I'm asking because I have a friend who recently acquired a APO-Telyt-R 280/4 with the APO 1.4x extender. I've been encouraging him to try his longer R lenses on his GX-8 and take advantage of the IBIS. He mostly uses the R lenses on his M-P 240 with the auxiliary EVF.

Gary

k-hawinkler

Quoting from:

Art In Public Places And Los Alamos County Golf Course Working Together
http://www.ladailypost.com/content/...os-alamos-county-golf-course-working-together

"On another project, the Art in Public Places Board began collaborating with San Ildefonso Pueblo artists in February of 2014 to paint large concrete replicas of ancestral Pueblo pottery."

"The plate will be installed on the exterior of the White Rock Visitors Center and the remaining pots will be installed along the N.M. 4 corridor, on both sides of the highway through White Rock."

So I decided to have a closer look at the concrete replicas of the ancestral Pueblo pottery.

E-M1.2 + 75/1.8

k-hawinkler

Terrific photo K-H of a bird that often gets little respect. Question: Was your E-M5 on a tripod or monopod when you took this photo? I'm asking because I have a friend who recently acquired a APO-Telyt-R 280/4 with the APO 1.4x extender. I've been encouraging him to try his longer R lenses on his GX-8 and take advantage of the IBIS. He mostly uses the R lenses on his M-P 240 with the auxiliary EVF.

Gary
Thanks Gary for the feedback. Much appreciated.
I typically use the APO-Telyt-R 280/4 and Vario-Telyt-R 105-280/4.2 on a tripod, but a bean bag would work.
The largest manual Leica lens I use freehand is the Vario-R 80-200/4.
IBIS on both Olympus and Sony cameras provides a stable image for focusing.

f6cvalkyrie

Time for a refreshment, after K-H's photos from hot NM ... sunset in Russia ... pecularity : temperature under -25°C and the E-M1 endured for more than an hour ...

(panoramic merge in Lightroom of 5 shots)

C U,
Rafael

k-hawinkler

How amazing must that be to hear the cranes but not see them.

Presumably by the time you hear them they are not there any more!.

Thanks gandolfi. That question has a complicated answer.
Basically the Sandhill cranes glide from thermal to thermal in which they soar to tremendous heights.
Also with the right weather, partially sunny for strong thermals with a good back wind, they zip by our house in no time at all.
So ideally I need to catch them above our house when they are pretty low in a thermal.
Then one can get shots in which they approach, circle around, and depart - all very distinctive visually.

Here is a schematic map of our area.

At our location the flat area between the Rio Grande Canyon and the Jemez Mountains stretches over about 10 miles.
Our house is in White Rock about 1.5 miles from the river.
Depending on where the thermals are the cranes can utilize that entire area.
Unless the cranes fly near my house I won't even notice them.

The migrating geese stay typically very close to the river and can be observed from the canyon rim.

BTW, my neighbor just let me know that yesterday she noticed the first cranes heading north. That's pretty early for them.
It only takes the cranes a few hours to fly from the Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge south of Albuquerque past our location.

k-hawinkler

Time for a refreshment, after K-H's photos from hot NM ... sunset in Russia ... pecularity : temperature under -25°C and the E-M1 endured for more than an hour ...

(panoramic merge in Lightroom of 5 shots)

C U,
Rafael

Gorgeous images Rafael. I love the composition, colors, detail, and the snow. :thumbs:

f6cvalkyrie

Basically the Sandhill cranes glide from thermal to thermal in which they soar to tremendous heights.
Also with the right weather, partially sunny for strong thermals with a good back wind, they zip by our house in no time at all.
So ideally I need to catch them above our house when they are pretty low in a thermal.
Then one can get shots in which they approach, circle around, and depart - all very distinctive visually.

Here is a schematic map of our area.

At our location the flat area between the Rio Grande Canyon and the Jemez Mountains stretches over about 10 miles.
Our house is in White Rock about 1.5 miles from the river.
Depending on where the thermals are the cranes can utilize that entire area.
Unless the cranes fly near my house I won't even notice them.

The migrating geese stay typically very close to the river and can be observed from the canyon rim.

BTW, my neighbor just let me know that yesterday she noticed the first cranes heading north. That's pretty early for them.
It only takes the cranes a few hours to fly from the Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge south of Albuquerque past our location.
We have cranes on our fields in Russia, K-H, in summertime ... many people talk about them, few have seen them in reality, but I was lucky one morning in July 2015 to run into them and have my E-M1 in the car ... here they are ...

CU,
Rafael

k-hawinkler

Thanks Rafael for sharing these remarkable images of your cranes. :thumbs:

Here is another one of my images.

E-M1.2 + 7-14/2.8

gandolfi

Subscriber Member

K-H,

Grateful thanks for all the info, the map, and all the great pics of the large pots.

Didn't realise it was all so close to Los Alamos, all hush-hush 70 odd years ago. Wonder if Oppenheimer and Feynman et al spent time crane watching!!

I did a short gliding holiday at the London Gliding Club in 1960 and went for a ride in a thermal up to 3,000 feet above Whipsnade Zoo, listening to the sounds from down below. We were winch launched up to about 900 feet and did mainly circuits and bumps and some hill soaring too. Four days of tremendous fun.

Here, in an old tub like this, a Slingsby T21. (iPad shot of two old postcards from the gandolfi archives);)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am back in the camp!

Today I got my new EM1.2 with the 2.8/12-40 (my EM1.1 and the 12-40 is gone to my daughter ;) which she really likes). All my Nikon gear is now sold and I am trying once more to stay completely mirrorless - we will see how successful I am but I am confident.

So far I am testing the camera but feel already pretty much home as I got really used to the EM1.1 over the last 3 years. But it feel much better than the old EM1 and definitely shutter is much more quiet. Also the first test shots I took in my office are promising, more resolution, better DR and great colors with Auto Color WB.

Anyone knowing when Lightroom will support other color profiles than Adobe Standard?

Best regards

Peter

k-hawinkler

Congratulations Peter on your new camera and lens!

http://www.lenstip.com/392.4-Lens_r...l_12-40_mm_f_2.8_ED_PRO_Image_resolution.html

It seems the lens is better at the wide end wide open.
F/4 seems to be sharpest for all focal lengths.

I like how the E-M1.2 handles and the images I can produce with it.
Also higher ISO performance seems improved to my eyes.
C1 Pro 10 recovers nicely slightly overexposed areas of an image IMHO.

Good luck with your new setup and please post some images you took with it.

k-hawinkler

Today I spotted a flock of 15 migrating Sandhill cranes pretty close to the direction of the Sun.

E-M1.2 + 40-150/2.8 Pro