The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2, etc. ... Peculiarities

k-hawinkler

A fraction of the entire flock of Sandhill cranes - but especially for Bart - shot with E-M1.2 + 300/4 Pro. :thumbs: Yup, the sky was this grey on an overcast day. :facesmack:

Here a crop from the image above.

E-M1.2 + 300/4 Pro @ f/5.6. Well, IQ is good enough for me! :grin:

k-hawinkler

White Rock, NM, State Road 4 (SR4) with the San Miguel Mountains in the Jemez as Backdrop.

E-M1.2 + 300/4 Pro @ f/5.6

k-hawinkler

Santa Fe Baldy with about 5000 snow covered acres that were burnt in a forest fire several years back.

The crop shows the still standing trunks of the burnt trees and their shadows.,

k-hawinkler

Line of sight distance to snow covered Sangre de Cristo Mountains near Taos, NM about 70 miles.

k-hawinkler

We got a couple inches of snow last night, supposedly get more tonight. Overcast and gray all day like this. This image shot with 150mm focal length. The San Miguel Mountains in the background are obscured.

E-M1.2 + 40-150/2.8 Pro @ 150mm.

Looking left towards the East @ 40mm view of White Rock.

Between White Rock and the hills in the background is the Rio Grande Canyon.

E-M1.2 + 75-300f4.8-6.7 II @ 75mm.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Extremely high flying cranes, circling in a thermal. I could hear them, but not see them with my naked eyes.

E-M1.2 + 300/4 Pro.

k-hawinkler

Today was a busy travel day for the migrating Sandhill cranes. They flew extremely high and fast.
I could hear them and sometimes guess the general direction where they seemed to be.
But I couldn't see them with my eyes unaided.

That's where all the E-M1.2 focus points and their terrific focusing speed came in handy.
Scanning the sky with shutter button halfway pressed the green focusing squares would light up whenever birds or an airplane came into focus.
That makes it easy to shoot a bunch of images with C-AF Silent low.

Surely, this wouldn't work with the E-M1 as it would focus hunt like crazy. :LOL:

E-M1.2 + 300/4 Pro.

Knorp

Today was a busy travel day for the migrating Sandhill cranes. They flew extremely high and fast.
I could hear them and sometimes guess the general direction where they seemed to be.
But I couldn't see them with my eyes unaided.

That's where all the E-M1.2 focus points and their terrific focusing speed came in handy.
Scanning the sky with shutter button halfway pressed the green focusing squares would light up whenever birds or an airplane came into focus.
That makes it easy to shoot a bunch of images with C-AF Silent low.

Surely, this wouldn't work with the E-M1 as it would focus hunt like crazy. :LOL:

E-M1.2 + 300/4 Pro.
Oh c'mon, K-H - those cranes must be flying at least at level 11 to 12 according to your altitude scale ...
Now don't tell me you're using C-AF Silent Low to prevent spooking them.

Fine shots and a testimony to the great advantages of the E-M1.2

All the best.

k-hawinkler

Oh c'mon, K-H - those cranes must be flying at least at level 11 to 12 according to your altitude scale ...
Now don't tell me you're using C-AF Silent Low to prevent spooking them.

Fine shots and a testimony to the great advantages of the E-M1.2

All the best.
Uncropped in horizontal direction.

k-hawinkler

The double peak on the left has a house on the right one.
It's St. Peter's Dome in the San Miguel Mountains.
There are two different Wilderness Areas up there.

E-M1.2 + 150/2 @ f/8.

k-hawinkler

To my eyes, that 150/2 renders images in a very pleasing way. I like it a lot !
Many thanks Bart.

Agreed, very pleasing images, and a joy to use on E-M1.2.
I don't mind carrying this combination on my walk arounds.
Not too heavy for me. I am using just a hand clutch from Peak Design.
BTW, the Night images were shot with S-AF. Focus works like a charm.

Bart, which of the 6 SHG lenses do you have experience with and recommend?
I am looking forward to more of your E-M1.2 images.
The E-M1.2 with its new sensor has been a game changer for me.
Fast focus and mostly useable up to ISO 6400 made the difference for me.

Of course, I am still looking forward to what Sony will come up with next.
However, Sony will not beat my Olympus gear for long tele shots I suppose.
I find the Olympus tele lens offerings to be stellar.

Although I still have and use quite a few Leica lenses, somehow a new Leica camera doesn't seem relevant for me any longer. However, I am following with interest the Fuji GFX developments.

Thanks again for all your help.

PS: Oh I finally realized I was mucking around too much in post with my images. That not necessarily helped the images and made them look less natural. The raw files coming out of the E-M1.2 IMHO only seem to need the default settings of C1 and sometimes a bit of noise reduction from Nik.