The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2, etc. ... Peculiarities

k-hawinkler

The shots at 5.6 are pretty awesome, K-H.
I'd like to buy lenses from outside Europe as well, but it's the hefty import duties that are holding me back.
Prices here for the 300/2.8 in 43-mount hover around €4000

Kind regards.
Thanksl Bart. Well, new at B&H the 300/2.8 is $6,499.00.
I got mine used from Korea for $3,100.00 plus shipping. :shocked:
For long tele shots, with the E-M1.2 and my lenses, the 43 and m43 system has finally left the competition behind, at least for me! :clap:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks Peter for your very funny reply! :ROTFL: :LOL: :ROTFL:

After using the 300/2.8 for a few minutes handheld my arms are threatening to fall off.
Yup, it's pretty heavy. Same deal as with APO-Telyt-R 280/4 or Vario-Telyt-R 105-280/4.2.
Of course, those heavy weights I will be primarily using on a tripod or use for weightlifting exercises. :LOL:

The 150/2 SHG and 300/4 Pro I find easy to carry around and shoot handheld.
I have to conclude though that my 2 SHG lenses seem to have a very smooth bokeh, much smoother than e.g. the 300/4 Pro bokeh.

BTW, I bought both lenses used, one from Japan, one from Korea at considerable discounts.
Both seem in good shape to me, now that I have used them for a bit.
Those lenses are still in production and are pretty expensive new - too expensive for me. :banghead:
Over the years I seem to have been pretty lucky buying used. :)
Keep in mind that the 2.8/300 is a real 2.8 lens, so the booked should be much smoother as you can open uo the aperture much more. And I think this even replicates ate aperture 4.0.

I never thought about buying the 2.8/300 new, as that price is ridiculous. But I remember the advertisements of this lens some 10 years ago were all sounding like Olympus had done the pinnacle in lens design as well as manufacturing - state of the art as we say.

Enjoy both lenses

Peter

PS: I BTW shot the Leica 4.2/105-280 for a while on the R9/DMR combo and while this was a heavy combo, the results were really awarding. Shot it also on a trip through death valley - this was a real great adventure ....

k-hawinkler

Keep in mind that the 2.8/300 is a real 2.8 lens, so the booked should be much smoother as you can open uo the aperture much more. And I think this even replicates ate aperture 4.0.

I never thought about buying the 2.8/300 new, as that price is ridiculous. But I remember the advertisements of this lens some 10 years ago were all sounding like Olympus had done the pinnacle in lens design as well as manufacturing - state of the art as we say.

Enjoy both lenses

Peter

PS: I BTW shot the Leica 4.2/105-280 for a while on the R9/DMR combo and while this was a heavy combo, the results were really awarding. Shot it also on a trip through death valley - this was a real great adventure ....
Thanks Peter for the feedback, much appreciated.
Most of my lenses were bought used, especially those Leica classics, the lens you mentioned being part of that.
I only got started with photography as a hobby around Christmas 2006.
Back then I had heard the name Leica once or twice, but didn't know any of their history or products.
My first 2 DSLRs were the Nikons D40 and D200, followed by D300 and D3. All 4 cameras still in excellent working order. :D
So far I got one Leica camera, the M9 in 2009 and an interesting experience that was and still is. :facesmack:

Interesting that you should mention your visit to Death Valley. For sure that's a real adventure.
In June 2009 I picked up my daughter from College in Santa Cruz, CA.
We travelled back via Yosemite, East Sierra, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon North Rim, Lake Powell, and Canyon de Chelly.
As you can imagine Death Valley in mid June is already pretty toasty.

Here is an image from the East Sierra that I like.

Nikon D3 + 24-70/2.8 AF-S.
The D3 was my favorite camera for a number of years.
I liked the way it handled and the images it produced, including fairly high ISO. :grin:
I finally replaced it with the D800E.

Now back to the E-M1.2 and the 300/2.8 SHG prime with a shot of Bluebirds, an American Robin, and a Northern Flicker.

E-M1.2 + 300/2.8 SHG @ f/5.6, ISO 500, 1/1,000s.

k-hawinkler

I just updated my E-M1.2 to firmware version 1.1 with the OV3, after I first updated the software. During the update process one has to switch the camera off and on so that the settings can be saved and restored. Worked like a charm.

I also updated then my 75/1.8 to firmware version 1.2. I had neclegted to check its firmware version when I recently bought it new. Luckily the lens was mounted on the E-M1.2 when I updated the camera, so I found out that the lens came with the previous firmware version.

k-hawinkler

I never tried this before the firmware update - so I simply don't know.
However now, apparently, I can shoot C-AF Silent low at 18 FPS without filling up the buffer and slowing down.
That's certainly the impression I got.
What do you find?

E-M1.2 + 300/4.0 PRO @ f/5.6, ISO 250, 1/1,000s.

Comparing this shot with the 300/4.0 PRO lens (handheld) to the previous image shot with the 300/2.8 SHG lens (on tripod), both @ f/5.6, the bokeh of the SHG lens seems smoother to my eyes. :grin: :thumbs:
No surprise there!

k-hawinkler

E-M1.2 + 300/4.0 PRO @ f/5.6, ISO 200, 1/1,000s, handheld. :grin:
The facial expression of the Robin seems to match the proceedings.
Eye-Focus probably did the trick! :ROTFL: :LOL: :ROTFL:

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

This seems to be year of Bluebirds and Cedar Waxwings - at least where I live. :grin:

E-M1.2 + 300/4.0 PRO. :thumbs:

k-hawinkler

k-h,

these shots show once lore how good the 4/300 really is!

Enjoy!
Thanks Peter. There is no doubt about the quality of the 300/4 Pro. :clap:
But I don't mind showing my attempts of insanely difficult things to pull off. :loco:
Sometimes video is far easier to get than images. :grin:

k-hawinkler

Here is my experience with Lexar 64GB 2000x and 1000x memory cards in the E-M1.2. When shooting only still images and no video, I had a few Picture Errors that ceased to happen after I formatted the cards with Lexar's Image Rescue 5 (IR5) app. Performance of the 2000x card in slot 1 easily sustained shooting at 18 fps without slowing down. Impressive.

All this changed when I started shooting video, in particular C4K 24p @ 237 Mbps in slot 1. It would work for a bit, then I encountered Card Error. I could recover some images with IR5 but no videos. Both cards needed formatting. I have tried both cards in slot 1 and 2 with the result that the 1000x card can't even be mounted or formatted anymore on my Mac and is also not recognized by IR5. The 2000x card encounters errors in the slower slot 2 now, can still be formatted, but has become useless.

BTW I had encountered a similar problem with 2 Lexar 64GB 1000x memory cards when shooting video with the E-M5.2. After encountering a card error both cards can't be formatted anymore either.
I will try to get a REV B version of the Lexar 2000x card and see whether it can handle video in the E-M1.2 or E-M5.2. REV B supposedly addresses the incompatibility issue.

I also have to find out whether there is a fix for the Lexar 1000x memory cards as I still have 2 of those cards unused and hesitate to use them in an OM-D camera. BTW all these cards work just fine in any of my Sony cameras.

I have also ordered the SanDisk 64GB 280MB/s memory card that Olympus recommends. Does anybody have video experience with that card in the E-M1.2 or E-M5.2? TIA.

K-H.

k-hawinkler

Evening walk with E-M1.2 + little tuna (150/2.0 SHG).

I used the damaged Lexar 2000x memory card in the slow slot #2.
Boy oh boy, the red buffer transfer light kept blinking and blinking. :banghead:
When the undamaged card was in the fast slot #1 the red light never came on. :thumbup:

Watering the lawn already.

Tiny Ant Hills (about 2" in diameter) built by tiny black Ants (about 2mm in length) are back now that the Sun is shining and ice and snow are gone.

Raven in Flight (RIF) :LOL:

E-M1.2 + 150/2.0.

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

Re: They don't make 'Em like they Used to

I took my M-1 with the 4/3 11-22 out for a quick run today. Here's a test shot on the way outside, to see if the battery was full and everything working. Straight into afternoon sun, subsequently with 95% highlight compression and 95% shadow uplift, in Capture One.

P3161759 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Some flower shots in the next post, with this combination.

scott

k-hawinkler

Thanks Scott.
I love old lenses - be they from Leica, Minolta, Nikon, or Olympus.
Great image of an inviting family room.
C1P10 does a great job for me as well.