The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2, etc. ... Peculiarities

k-hawinkler

Thanks Scott. Terrific colors. It must be a combination of lens, sensor, white balance, and exposure. The E-M1.2 impresses me as well in that context. :thumbs:

Elderly

More with OM-D E-M1 and Olympus 4/3 11-22

I don't know if it is finally getting the exposure right, or a property of the sensor, but that last shot captures the edge-of-gamut blue of the lupines (we call them turmosim) better than I have been able to with Fuji or Leica SL.

scott
Great colours!

Elderly

Seven Pages in and Over One Year Ago - I've lost track of why this thread is titled "... Peculiarities" :OT: !!??

Is it because the quality of so many of the images are peculiarly excellent? :thumbup:

k-hawinkler

Here is my experience with Lexar 64GB 2000x and 1000x memory cards in the E-M1.2. When shooting only still images and no video, I had a few Picture Errors that ceased to happen after I formatted the cards with Lexar's Image Rescue 5 (IR5) app. Performance of the 2000x card in slot 1 easily sustained shooting at 18 fps without slowing down. Impressive.

All this changed when I started shooting video, in particular C4K 24p @ 237 Mbps in slot 1. It would work for a bit, then I encountered Card Error. I could recover some images with IR5 but no videos. Both cards needed formatting. I have tried both cards in slot 1 and 2 with the result that the 1000x card can't even be mounted or formatted anymore on my Mac and is also not recognized by IR5. The 2000x card encounters errors in the slower slot 2 now, can still be formatted, but has become useless.

BTW I had encountered a similar problem with 2 Lexar 64GB 1000x memory cards when shooting video with the E-M5.2. After encountering a card error both cards can't be formatted anymore either.
I will try to get a REV B version of the Lexar 2000x card and see whether it can handle video in the E-M1.2 or E-M5.2. REV B supposedly addresses the incompatibility issue.

I also have to find out whether there is a fix for the Lexar 1000x memory cards as I still have 2 of those cards unused and hesitate to use them in an OM-D camera. BTW all these cards work just fine in any of my Sony cameras.

I have also ordered the SanDisk 64GB 280MB/s memory card that Olympus recommends. Does anybody have video experience with that card in the E-M1.2 or E-M5.2? TIA.

K-H.
I got in touch with Lexar and now have RMA numbers. Once they receive my defective memory cards it will take them 2 to 3 weeks to mail me replacements.

k-hawinkler

Seven Pages in and Over One Year Ago - I've lost track of why this thread is titled "... Peculiarities" :OT: !!??

Is it because the quality of so many of the images are peculiarly excellent? :thumbup:
Thanks Ian. Of course, that's it. :grin:
Also please have a look at the previous post.
There definitely are discussed some peculiarities if not of Olympus cameras directly, but of memory cards. :banghead:

Elderly

Time for a PECULIAR image!!! ... a bull with many coloured horns :D
There's an OOF bird's eye in there too

k-hawinkler

I posted this on another forum, but it also fits here.

So I try to be brief. When shooting raw images in the E-M1.2 with Lexar 64GB 2000x memory card in the fast UHS II slot 1, I had occasionally in-camera errors. Those errors ceased to appear almost completely after formatting the card first on my Macintosh with Image Rescue 5 (IR5) and then in the E-M1.2. The camera would shoot 18 fps with C-AF Silent low for as long as I pressed the shutter button fully down without slowing down. What a joy. In many burst mode short and long sequences I shot way more than 10,000 images without any significant issues. So far so good.

Then I tried shooting videos up to the time limit (less than 30 minutes) set by the camera. That's when I encountered "Card Error" in the E-M1.2 with my Lexar 2000x card. With IR5 I could recover some old images but never video files. After formatting the card would also fail in the slow UHS I slot 2' so became useless to me. I then tried a Lexar 64GB 1000x memory card in both slots, slow and fast, until the card got so corrupted that it couldn't be formatted any longer either in-camera or by the Mac. That reminded me of last summer when the same corruption had happened with two Lexar 64GB 1000x memory cards on my E-M5.2 while shooting the same lengthy videos.

So, a few days ago I got the SanDisk 64GB 280 MB/s memory card that Olympus recommends in their table. I shot raw images and long videos with it on both my E-M1.2 and E-M5.2 without encountering the "Card Error" message. So that card doesn't cause the same severe problems that the Lexar cards did. So my two cameras with the SanDisk card in them are quite useable. They may still have other little quirks that should be able to be addressed in future firmware updates. But both cameras appear to be basically sound. Today I should receive a SanDisk 64GB 300MB/s memory card that I expect to work as well in both cameras.

In this forum was already pointed out that Lexar had acknowledged that their 128GB 2000x memory card caused the problems in the E-M1.2. They now have addressed the problem through issuing REV B of that card. I am assuming they will do the same for their other cards. Anyway I have obtained an RMA number from Lexar and mailed them for replacement with the corrected cards two 64GB 2000x and four 64GB 1000x memory cards. Lexar says it will take them several weeks to send out the replacement cards. BTW I still have several 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB Lexar 1000x memory cards that work just fine in my Sony cameras that use UHS I slots. No particular problems encountered there.

k-hawinkler

Olympus E-M1 Mark II hidden menu for shutter count

• While pressing menu button, turn camera on.
• Release menu button, press menu button again, go to Setup Menu, Screen Brightness.
• Press right button, press info button, press okay button.
• Press up, down, left, right, shutter, and up button.
• Press right button, now you are at the page with the info for shutter count.

Here are the numbers from my camera. (as of 2017.04.05)

MS: mechanical shutter
S: Flash fired
C: manual sensor cleaning
U: ultrasonic sensor cleaning (effectively how often you turned the camera on)
B: Number of actuations with IBIS switched to on

Amazing, I haven't used the mechanical shutter in quite a while. No need to really.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Very sorry, K-H.
When was the last time you had home-grown apricots and plums ?

All the very best.
Thanks Bart. If memory serves me right, 2 or 3 years ago. But last year we got apples. The apple tree blossoms appear several weeks shifted relative to the other two. Oh BTW we had snow again 2 days later on April 3, 2017. Spring weather around here is pretty unpredictable and often very windy. Native shrubs and trees know better and wait with their blossoms until late Spring frost and snow have subsided.

Last edited: