The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2, etc. ... Peculiarities

scott kirkpatrick

[h=1]CP+ 2017: Olympus interview: 'We chose to be bold' :thumbs: :clap:
https://www.dpreview.com/interviews...e-bold?ref_=pe_1822230_234542620_dpr_nl_254_8 [/h]
There's also an earlier teleconference turned into an interview with Olympus on what firmware enhancements they are working on for the M1.2. Autofocus enhancements, mostly, but I noticed that they want to allow Auto ISO to work when in manual aperture and shutter mode and shooting video. That's on my request list. Journalists seem very interested in whether video customers are a target for Olympus and Olympus seems anxious to say "not yet." So their list does not include a log profile for video. (compression to help with dynamic range -- Panasonic does this very well, and so does even Leica SL.)

scott

k-hawinkler

Thanks Scott for pointing out those items.
Nevertheless I am impressed by the C4K 24p 4096x2160 17:9 videos of my E-M1.2.

Also after sending in my fast Lexar memory cards for a firmware update they have been working without problems in both the E-M1.2 and E-M5.2 for stills and videos.

Knorp

ZUIKO 150mm f/2.0 @2.8

AFMA = 0

AFMA = -8

One could argue -7 is perhaps closer, but I like it better a little 'upfront' .

k-hawinkler

Amazed ? Why's that, K-H ?

:confused:
Thanks Bart. Oh, nothing to worry about.
Well I am simply amazed that the lens requires such a relatively large correction.
However I am new to FT lenses and eager to learn more about them, but have only a few data points to go by.
There only seem to be very few folks, you and me here at getdpi, and a couple others over at FM that actively use them, maybe a few individuals at DPR. I wonder if other users could chime in with their experiences with those Olympus FT tele lenses. The E-M1.2 certainly makes them shine and worth having IMHO.

scott kirkpatrick

The only FourThirds lens that I continue to use is the 11-22. Does it require these AF corrections?

scott (M1.2 on its way, but I won't get it for 6 weeks or so. I was thinking of having it meet me in Boston after I fly there using the "dangerous, Islamic airline, Turkish Air".)

k-hawinkler

Shooting my little tuna at Dusk with AutoFocusMicroAdjustment of -2.

Apple Blossoms @ f/2

My first Hummingbird of the Season @ f/2.2

Moth feeding on Flowering Quincy @ f/2

E-M1.2 + little tuna 150/2.0 SHG

ptomsu

Workshop Member
While I find the 2/150 images in this thread beautiful, they do not come close IMHO to the 4/300 images. Obviously 10+ years of optical development make a huge difference :cool:

rayyan

' United ', I would guess, would be safer and offer much better customer care. I wouldn't know. Never boarded cattle wagons.

p.s. Not forgetting the ' Friendly Skies '. For those who remember :D

scott (M1.2 on its way, but I won't get it for 6 weeks or so. I was thinking of having it meet me in Boston after I fly there using the "dangerous, Islamic airline, Turkish Air".)

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

A drooling slobbering Hummingbird - the sugar water running down its beak! It must have seen my photo gear! :grin: :ROTFL: :LOL: :watch:

E-M1.2 + little tuna 150/2.0 SHG @ ISO 640, f/3.5, 1/1000 s.

scott kirkpatrick

' United ', I would guess, would be safer and offer much better customer care. I wouldn't know. Never boarded cattle wagons.

p.s. Not forgetting the ' Friendly Skies '. For those who remember :D
I fly a lot, mostly United, but also its partners. Among those, Lufthansa and Turkish stand out for having the nicest lounges. The one in Istanbul is the best I have been in. United domestic is the least friendly of the Star Alliance trips that I take. United overseas is usually quite pleasant.

scott

k-hawinkler

E-M1.2 + m4/3 to 4/3 Adapter MMF-3 + 1.4x Tele Converter EC-14 + big tuna 300/2.8 SHG @ 425 mm, ISO 500, f/5.6, 1/1000 s.

Frankly I am a bit surprised (blown away is more like it) by the high IQ and tremendous sharpness of this image - considering an 1.4x tele converter was used.
This behavior is reminiscent of using a Leica APO-Extender-R 1.4x on the APO-Telyt-R 280/4 lens.
I think my EC-14, that arrived today, is a keeper as well. :grin:

k-hawinkler

Well there is big tuna 300/2.8 and little tuna 150/2.0 and another one.
It has the size and weight of big tuna. I call the 90-250/2.8 z(oom) tuna.
Here are a few shots with zoom tuna, displayed at half resolution.

Los Alamos Neutron Beam Cooling Towers.

E-M1.2 + z tuna 90-250/2.8 @ 90mm

E-M1.2 + z tuna 90-250/2.8 @ 250mm

Los Alamos Trails Map.

E-M1.2 + z tuna 90-250/2.8 @ 250mm

k-hawinkler

The same Turkey Vulture Roost as seen from different heights. :grin:

E-M5.2 + 300/4.0 PRO @ f/4

E-M1.2 + zoom tuna 90-250/2.8 @ 114mm, f/2.8

E-M1.2 + little tuna 150/2.0 @ f/2

E-M1.2 + 75-300/4.8-6.7 II @ 75mm, f/6.3