The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2, etc. ... Peculiarities

k-hawinkler

Two shots from today with mechanical shutter. :loco: :shocked:

E-M1.2 + MC-14 + 300/4.0 @ 420 mm, f/6.3, ISO 2000, 1/2000 s.

k-hawinkler

Olympus E-M1MarkII + Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75mm 1:1.8 @ 75mm. ISO 320, f/1.8, 1/2000 s.

NO FLASH - Early Morning Sun!

Olympus E-M1MarkII + Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm f2.8 PRO @ 150mm. ISO 640, f/3.2, 1/2000 s.

mazor

Two shots from today with mechanical shutter. :loco: :shocked:

E-M1.2 + MC-14 + 300/4.0 @ 420 mm, f/6.3, ISO 2000, 1/2000 s.
fantastic shots k-hawinkler. Do you notice any advantages taking these types of shots using the mechanical shutter? Ie any rolling shutter effects using electronic?

k-hawinkler

fantastic shots k-hawinkler. Do you notice any advantages taking these types of shots using the mechanical shutter? Ie any rolling shutter effects using electronic?
Thanks mazor, much appreciated.
To answer your questions, yes, yes.
please have a look here.

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/56138-a7r-a7r2-why-im-keeping-both-31.html#post729003

Even with the Sony A9 and its silent/electronic shutter I still can spot rolling shutter effects, but these distortions are greatly reduced and far less noticeable. Most Hummingbird shots don't seem to be affected by that. So shooting the A9 at 20 fps with the silent shutter, the associated benefits outweigh those of the mechanical shutter with max 5 fps.

Which cameras do you use. Cheers, Karl-Heinz.

Elderly

E-M1.2 + MC-14 + 300/4.0 PRO @ 420mm, ISO 6400, f/5.6, 1/2000s.
Great C.U.:thumbup: I can't imagine a more contrasting style of bird photography to mine K-H :D :D :D

Obsolete EM1 + 40-150 PRO @ 150mm, ISO 400, f6.3, 1/1250s. out of a moving minibus window!

ETA (Maybe it's my obsession with power lines? :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Great shot Ian. That old equipment still works great for me as well.

In order to resolve the eyelashes of the Hummingbirds one has to get even closer than Minimum Focus Distsnce MFD of the lens, as demonstrated by Tony Markle alias Imagemaster over at fredmiranda forum. He is shooting Hummers in Flight HIF with extension tubes! I like the idea and should give it a try. :grin:

mazor

Thanks mazor, much appreciated.
To answer your questions, yes, yes.
please have a look here.

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/56138-a7r-a7r2-why-im-keeping-both-31.html#post729003

Even with the Sony A9 and its silent/electronic shutter I still can spot rolling shutter effects, but these distortions are greatly reduced and far less noticeable. Most Hummingbird shots don't seem to be affected by that. So shooting the A9 at 20 fps with the silent shutter, the associated benefits outweigh those of the mechanical shutter with max 5 fps.

Which cameras do you use. Cheers, Karl-Heinz.
I currently now use an E-M1 mk2, sold the mk1. Which is better for reducing the rolling shutter effect, the A9 or the E-M1 mk2?

k-hawinkler

I currently now use an E-M1 mk2, sold the mk1. Which is better for reducing the rolling shutter effect, the A9 or the E-M1 mk2?
Thanks mazor. The A9 is better by quite a bit.

Shutter readout time for E-M1 mk2: 1/60s
Shutter readout time for ......... A9: 1/150s or 1/160s as measured by Jim Kasson
Shutter readout time mech shutter: 1/300s

Rolling shutter effects are still pretty frequent and pronounced for the silent shutter of the E-M1 mk2.
In contrast they are very infrequent and far less noticeable for the silent shutter of the A9.

Of course when using the mechanical shutter in those two cameras rolling shutter effects are basically non-existent.

So, when shooting Hummers with the E-M1 mk2, I now use its noisy mechanical shutter.
When shooting Hummers with the A9, I now use its silent shutter.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks mazor. The A9 is better by quite a bit.

Shutter readout time for E-M1 mk2: 1/60s
Shutter readout time for ......... A9: 1/150s or 1/160s as measured by Jim Kasson
Shutter readout time mech shutter: 1/300s

Rolling shutter effects are still pretty frequent and pronounced for the silent shutter of the E-M1 mk2.
In contrast they are very infrequent and far less noticeable for the silent shutter of the A9.

Of course when using the mechanical shutter in those two cameras rolling shutter effects are basically non-existent.

So, when shooting Hummers with the E-M1 mk2, I now use its noisy mechanical shutter.
When shooting Hummers with the A9, I now use its silent shutter.
K-H,

I shot the EM1.2 with silent shutter for quite a bit and I only could see some rolling shutter when photographing rotating wind wheels, but even then the effect was pretty negligible.

While I am sure the A9 will be even better than the EM1.2, the Olympus performs already pretty well. But I actually also love the EM1.2 mechanical shutter, as it is so much quieter than anything I shot in the past, including Leica M.

k-hawinkler

Many thanks Peter. The only experience I have with rolling shutter artifacts has to do with Hummingbirds In Flight (HIF). For HIF indeed the silent shutter characteristics of the E-M1.2 and A9 are quite different.

Elderly

Many thanks Ian.
Could you please explain the pertinent points about your image? TIA.
Nothing pertinent at all K-H; I should have added a few ;) ;).

Just an excuse to post a 'Peculiar' image that amused me (which happens to involve rotating wheels that have absolutely nothing to do with rolling shutter effect :loco:) :eek:.

mazor

wow, thanks again k-hawinkler for the info.

The A9 sounds like it definitely the best when it comes to using E Shutter for action shots. I have heard that when the A9 is doing fast FPS, the RAW bitrate drops from 14bit to 12bit. Not sure if it has been documented but does the E-M1 mk2 record in 12 or 14bit?