The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2, etc. ... Peculiarities

ptomsu

Workshop Member
LouisB,

I really loved my Fuji XT2 and even more so the 100-400, this is maybe one of the best wildlife combos available today, I would rate it definitely better than anything you can put together from Canon or Nikon!

Having said that, wildlife is not everything and for me the EM1.2 fits better than the XT2, that means I can operate the EM1.2 almost while sleeping, while the XT2 required lot more attention for proper operation. I am obviously not the typical Fuji camera user, as most of them cannot praise their cameras and controls high enough. For me with turned out to be contrary in favour of the Olympus!

WRT lens quality and overall quality coming out from my m43 gear there is almost no IQ difference, at least for what I am asking compared to Fuji X. I shoot the Olympus 2.8/40-140 (also many times with the TC1.4) since more than 3 years now and the quality and operability of that lens is second to none. Now the 4/300 Pro is even made to a much higher standard, also compared to the Fuji 100-400 and from the first few photos I have taken this is pretty obvious to me. It plays definitely in a different league and I only can hope that Olympus will add a high end PRO zoom like a 4/75-300 or similar to their lineup. I would buy that within a heartbeat, as I have no doubt it would be phantastic.

How the 4/300 performs on a GH5 I cannot say, optically it will remain the superior lens and I think when you are willing to loose the Dual IS, which might make you loose some steadiness for longer exposure times, you will be very happy with it. But I would try it first on a GH5, mainly because this is not a light lens and that could be disturbing for you.

Peter

biglouis

LouisB,

I really loved my Fuji XT2 and even more so the 100-400, this is maybe one of the best wildlife combos available today, I would rate it definitely better than anything you can put together from Canon or Nikon!

Peter
Peter

Thanks for your further thoughts. Matthieu Gasquet over at MirrorLessons rates the XT2/100-400 as second only to the EM1-MkII+Oly300/4

It is worth reading his article here.

I was actually offered this combination in part-exchange for my Leica Q, which I would like to sell to fund my wildlife addiction and the only reason I turned it down is that I did not want to start yet another camera system.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter

Thanks for your further thoughts. Matthieu Gasquet over at MirrorLessons rates the XT2/100-400 as second only to the EM1-MkII+Oly300/4

It is worth reading his article here.

I was actually offered this combination in part-exchange for my Leica Q, which I would like to sell to fund my wildlife addiction and the only reason I turned it down is that I did not want to start yet another camera system.

LouisB
LouisB,

I could not agree more with Matthieu!

WRT another camera system - this was the MAIN reason for me to sell my Fuji gear - to get rid of my second system. And I am very sure this was the right decision.

In your case I would really try the GH5 with the 3/400 and if it works for you I would go for it. Actually it should work brilliantly. If not you should try the 4/300 with the EM1.2 - but please make sure you do that with someone who really understands this camera - it has so much to offer what is not obvious from a 10000m view but only when someone already very deep in this system (camera) supports you. And WRT a second system in case of the EM1.2 - well this is not really a second system as we know, only necessary to learn a new camera :eek:

Best regards

Peter

k-hawinkler

I would like an E-M1.3 that matches the Electronic Shutter Speed (ESS) of 1/150 s of the Sony A9 - or better of course. At 1/300 s ESS a mechanical shutter is redundant and should be left out of a camera.

Of course speed has a unit of length/time and is incorrect here. :facesmack:
But I like ESS better than the Sensor Read Out Time (SROT). :ROTFL:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I would like an E-M1.3 that matches the Electronic Shutter Speed (ESS) of 1/150 s of the Sony A9 - or better of course. At 1/300 s ESS a mechanical shutter is redundant and should be left out of a camera.

Of course speed has a unit of length/time and is incorrect here. :facesmack:
But I like ESS better than the Sensor Read Out Time (SROT). :ROTFL:
Who would not like this EM1.3?

But I think Olympus will first come out with the EM5.3 that probably will have that function and it should be kind of easy to top the Sony A9's 1/150s, as the sensor is much smaller. Hopefully this sensor has at least 20MP, actually I would prefer 24MP and it should be doable if one thinks about what Sony can already squeeze out of their smaller sensors.

biglouis

Who would not like this EM1.3?

But I think Olympus will first come out with the EM5.3 that probably will have that function and it should be kind of easy to top the Sony A9's 1/150s, as the sensor is much smaller. Hopefully this sensor has at least 20MP, actually I would prefer 24MP and it should be doable if one thinks about what Sony can already squeeze out of their smaller sensors.
I am sure I read somewhere that Olympus's philosophy with respect to camera churn is that they plan on the EM1.2 having a five year cycle, to benefit the cost of ownership. If I recall this statement correctly you may have to wait another 3-4 years for the next evolution of the product.

LouisB

k-hawinkler

Well, Olympus has to adjust to be competitive.

The silent shutter of the E-M1.2 with 1/60 s ESS is useless for Hummingbirds in Flight because of rolling shutter artifacts. So back to the noisy slow mechanical shutter for that.:banghead:

The Sony A9 has Olympus easily beat. :thumbs:
Sony's FE 100-400/4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens with TCs is an amazing accomplishment as well.

Sony announced for release next year an FE 400/2.8 prime lens.
I am sure it is as heavy as my Olympus FT 300/2.8 prime lens.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am sure I read somewhere that Olympus's philosophy with respect to camera churn is that they plan on the EM1.2 having a five year cycle, to benefit the cost of ownership. If I recall this statement correctly you may have to wait another 3-4 years for the next evolution of the product.

LouisB
It was almost exactly 3 years between the introduction of the EM1 (autumn 2013) and the EM1.2 (autumn 2016). If that cycle continues we will see and EM1.3 in autumn 2019.

Hmmmm - that sound too long, I think they will have to speed up in order to keep pace with Sony and Panasonic .....

k-hawinkler

Leucistic American Robin

Olympus E-M1 Mark II + Olympus ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm 1:2.8 @ ISO 500, FOCAL LENGTH 300.0 mm, APERTURE f/4, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0005s (1/2000).

Knorp

LouisB
Wow - a five year cycle ? I'd thought three years already quite an elongated time period for a digital camera replacement.
But really five years ? What will they be doing all those years ?
Time enough for me anyway to switch to another brand and back again ... :ROTFL:

k-hawinkler

Wow - a five year cycle ? I'd thought three years already quite an elongated time period for a digital camera replacement.
But really five years ? What will they be doing all those years ?
Time enough for me anyway to switch to another brand and back again ... :ROTFL:
:facesmack: :banghead: :LOL: Or add another brand? :loco:

I like the AF progress Olympus has made with the E-M1 Mark II. :thumbs:
In their next camera they ought to go for a silent global shutter with 1/300 s sensor read out time. That's the ticket for me. :grin:

Olympus has superb lenses and is adding fast primes after their Pro zooms.
My favorite long tele primes are the 300/4 Pro and the FTs 150/2 and 300/2.8.
It would make sense IMHO to update the FTs to state of the Art Pro MFTs.
They should be compatible with the MC-14, turning an MFT 300/2.8 into a 420/4.

With regards to MFT zooms, I would find a 150-400/4 Pro very attractive, continuing the path of the 40-150/2.8 Pro.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
:facesmack: :banghead: :LOL: Or add another brand? :loco:

I like the AF progress Olympus has made with the E-M1 Mark II. :thumbs:
In their next camera they ought to go for a silent global shutter with 1/300 s sensor read out time. That's the ticket for me. :grin:

Olympus has superb lenses and is adding fast primes after their Pro zooms.
My favorite long tele primes are the 300/4 Pro and the FTs 150/2 and 300/2.8.
It would make sense IMHO to update the FTs to state of the Art Pro MFTs.
They should be compatible with the MC-14, turning an MFT 300/2.8 into a 420/4.

With regards to MFT zooms, I would find a 150-400/4 Pro very attractive, continuing the path of the 40-150/2.8 Pro.
It would be simple - bring redesigned m43 PRO versions of the FT 2/150, 2.8/300 and 2.8/90-250 :cool:

And then a 4/75-400 PRO :grin:

k-hawinkler

Steller's Jay

Olympus E-M1MarkII + Olympus ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm 1:2.8 @ ISO 800, FOCAL LENGTH 300.0 mm, APERTURE f/4, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0005s (1/2000).

Olympus E-M1MarkII + Olympus ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm 1:2.8 @ ISO 640, FOCAL LENGTH 300.0 mm, APERTURE f/4, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0005s (1/2000).

k-hawinkler

Leucistic American Robin

Olympus E-M1MarkII + Olympus ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm 1:2.8 @ ISO 640 or 500, FOCAL LENGTH 300.0 mm, APERTURE f/3.2, EXPOSURE TIME 0.00063s (1/1600).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Today i had the chance to work a bit more with my new 4/300 Pro lens. Although this is a very speciality type of lens it is quickly becoming one of my favourite lenses. Stunning IQ, stunning dual IS and it really forces to view the world in a different and unusual way. I love it.

2017-11-04_0001.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2017-11-04_0002.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2017-11-04_0009.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2017-11-04_0017.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2017-11-04_0023.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2017-11-04_0033.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2017-11-04_0035.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2017-11-04_0047.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

k-hawinkler

Thanks Peter for your terrific images. The 300/4 Pro prime is such a blast to use, especially on the E-M1 II and E-M5 II. Am I mistaken when I compare the Oly 300/4 Pro to the Leica-R 280/4 and find them of similar stunning optical excellence. :thumbs:

Of course the Leica is FF and the Oly MFT, so, of course, there is a difference. But when I use both lenses on my MFT cameras, they both can deliver optically stunning images. The Oly I can shoot with AF handheld, the Leica on a tripod with manual focus. :thumbs:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks Peter for your terrific images. The 300/4 Pro prime is such a blast to use, especially on the E-M1 II and E-M5 II. Am I mistaken when I compare the Oly 300/4 Pro to the Leica-R 280/4 and find them of similar stunning optical excellence. :thumbs:

Of course the Leica is FF and the Oly MFT, so, of course, there is a difference. But when I use both lenses on my MFT cameras, they both can deliver optically stunning images. The Oly I can shoot with AF handheld, the Leica on a tripod with manual focus. :thumbs:
K-H,

thanks for your kind words!

While I never shot the Leica 4/280, I can understand what you mean as I shot the 105-280 some 10 years ago on the R9/DMR combo and this was a stunning lens by itself, although a bit on the very heavy side. The Only 4/300 Pro is much lighter and easier to handle, hold and carry around without almost any time limit because of getting tired, so for me this is a clear winner. But I fully get what you mean when you talk about liking this Leica glass, especially as I made this experience when using some of my M lenses on the EM1.2 lately, like the wonderful Summilux 1.4/50.

2017-10-19_EM1.2_M_0078.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

WRT FF versus MFT - well I meanwhile reached the point where MFT is my new FF and as all the MFT lenses are specifically designed for this sensor format this makes even more a winning system, that hardly can be beaten :cool:

With the new 1.2 primes - especially the 45 and the 17 I am no longer sure if I ever would return to the "old" 35mm-FF, especially as we can expect that next generation MFT sensors will even beat the current already stunning EM1.2 sensor by far in resolution, DR and readout speed.