The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2, etc. ... Peculiarities

k-hawinkler

:shocked: Raven in Flight (RIF) :shocked:

Olympus E-M1MarkII + M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 25mm f/1.2 PRO @ ISO 200, 25.0 mm, APERTURE f/1.2, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0001s (1/10,000). :grin: :thumbup:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
K-H

these are magnificent shots and they clearly show the superior quality of this lens combo!

k-hawinkler

K-H

these are magnificent shots and they clearly show the superior quality of this lens combo!
Many thanks Peter for your feedback, much appreciated.

I agree the 300/4 Pro lens with MC-14 on E-M1 Mark II can deliver stunning performance. I am shooting handheld, IBIS on, AF-C, and with electronic shutter low speed, as I don't have to worry about rolling shutter effects for birds perched on a tree.

Shutter speed is low enough so as not to drive ISO too high. But not high enough to eliminate all subject motion blur of the birds. Nevertheless I get plenty of shots in sharp focus by shooting short bursts of images. I then can select images based on sharpness and content, like the bird's eye clearly visible and in focus, an interesting posture or activity, etc.

For me this lens is special and among the best one can buy, regardless of format, whether MFT, APS-C, or FF. I think this lens will also excel on future more capable sensors and cameras. It's certainly living up to its high price IMHO.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For me this lens is special and among the best one can buy, regardless of format, whether MFT, APS-C, or FF. I think this lens will also excel on future more capable sensors and cameras. It's certainly living up to its high price IMHO.
Definitely this is a very special lens. I first was not too much intrigued when it appeared some 2 years ago, as I was kind of fixed on zoom lenses and thought it would limit my flexibilities too much. But since I own it I see that one can easily get used to it and its focal length and once you start seeing as required by this lens it becomes something special - I think even on Safari!

On an African Safari I would use it in combination with the 2.8/40-150 which is another stellar performer and I would then use 2 camera bodies with 2 lenses.

WRT future sensors - I am pretty confident that m43 will see soon sensors with even higher DR and resolution above what is currently available in EN1.2 or Panasonic G9 - my guess is the next step will be either 24MP or even 30MP at least if Panasonic is going to introduce 8k video in their next generation high end cameras. Once we are there for me exists no longer the need for more resolution - not for what I am shooting and will ever shoot :cool:

k-hawinkler

White-crowned Sparrow

Olympus E-M1MarkII + ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm 1:2.8 @ ISO 1600, FOCAL LENGTH 300.0 mm. APERTURE f/3.2, EXPOSURE TIME 0.00156s (1/640).

k-hawinkler

Olympus E-M1MarkII + M.300mm F4.0 Pro @ ISO 200, FOCAL LENGTH 300.0 mm, APERTURE f/4.5, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0004s (1/2500)

iiiNelson

Thank you Bart. Indeed, I am blessed to live in such an enchanting place. There is no better word for it.
BTW, except for the buzzards, i.e. Turkey Vultures, all other birds, that I take pictures of, visit our backyard! :thumbs:
Even the Sandhill cranes occasionally fly directly high above our house.
Deer, Elk, Coyotes, Mountain Lions, and last Summer even a Bear visited our area. Lots of excitement. :banghead:
Sandhill cranes... ribeye of the sky...

k-hawinkler

American Bushtits ingesting energy-rich Food!

The last image looks really funny when displayed in reduced size. Sorry about that.

Knorp

Awesome shots, K-H :thumbs:
Just my observation: I think your µ43-gear beats your Sony's ...

:OT: for a moment I really thought I read "American Bullshit" ... :loco:

iiiNelson

Personally, I’m not so sure that the Olympus is beating the 100-500 but I will say that both are impressive in their own right.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
K-H,

really awesome photos! Shows clearly for me that I should not be nervous of switching to G9 and 2.8/200!

I will stay with Olympus - at least for now :cool:

Peter

k-hawinkler

Many thanks for your feedback Bart, Tre, and Peter, much appreciated. I take it as a vote of confidence.

Isn’t it wonderful to have more than one fabulous option for handheld tele shots with the Olympus MFT and Sony FF mirrorless gear, and hopefully also with the new PL cameras and lenses.

For shots like those above of the bushtits I can and do use the electronic shutter of the E-M1 Mark II. For hummingbirds in flight only the electronic shutter of the A9 has a fast enough sensor readout time to effectively avoid rolling shutter artifacts. Of course one could use the noisy mechanical shutter of the E-M1.2 for that. Autofocus IMHO is sufficiently good for both systems. It’s fast and finally not focus hunting.

Overall I consider the A9 with its much faster silent shutter and blackout free EVF the superior camera. What I really want is an A9r with more pixels. Olympus needs to meet Sony’s camera advances.

With regards to optics the MFT camp has excellent lenses, no doubt about it. Sony has come up with great tele lenses as well. I really like the FE 90/2.8 MACRO G OSS, 70-300/4.5-5.6 G OSS, and the 100-400/4.5-5.6 GM OSS with both its teleconverters, that also will work with the new FE 400/2.8 lens announced for later this year. That lens will certainly be too heavy for me to shoot handheld, but I hope a monopod will be all I need.

So Bart raised a great question, which system beats the other? Thanks for that.
Dunno, I will keep an open mind and continue to use both, as both seem to have advantages in different areas. However, there is no doubt in my mind that both the Olympus and Sony systems are capable of delivering stunning image quality pictures. :thumbs:

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Well Bart, I have to agree with you that the detail in the bushtit images seems exquisite. Sometimes I get lucky. Better lucky than smart I guess. :salute:

I will see how far I can push the FE 100-400 by itself on either my A9 or A7r.2? I also could try that lens on my A7r or a6300. :facesmack:

iiiNelson

Well Bart, I have to agree with you that the detail in the bushtit images seems exquisite. Sometimes I get lucky. Better lucky than smart I guess. :salute:

I will see how far I can push the FE 100-400 by itself on either my A9 or A7r.2? I also could try that lens on my A7r or a6300. :facesmack:
Comparing your shots (at websize) it seems like your Sony 100-400 with 2X converter at f/11 are about equal to the EM1 with the 300/4 at f/4.5. The Sony looks a lot sharper without the teleconverter but this can all be classified as pixel peeping. They're both impressive IMO. On a side note I'll be interested in seeing how the Fujifilm 200/2 will compare once released to both as well. Peter's Africa shots with the 100-400 on his X-T2 were pretty impressive as well.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Comparing your shots (at websize) it seems like your Sony 100-400 with 2X converter at f/11 are about equal to the EM1 with the 300/4 at f/4.5. The Sony looks a lot sharper without the teleconverter but this can all be classified as pixel peeping. They're both impressive IMO. On a side note I'll be interested in seeing how the Fujifilm 200/2 will compare once released to both as well. Peter's Africa shots with the 100-400 on his X-T2 were pretty impressive as well.
Thanks for the nice words - the XT2 with the 100-400 was indeed and impressive combo, fast AF, pretty lightweight for the reach and resolution, and above all very sharp when it nailed focus, which it mostly did. I assume that with the latest FW update on the XT2 it should be even more accurate and fast!

The main reason I sold Fuji was that I wanted to stay for now in only one system and when the EM1.2 came out and I tried it it was immediately clear that this was the go-to camera and system for me - and this is maybe very subjective! Anyway I am more than happy with Olympus m43, especially with the 4/300 and the 2.8/40-150 and also the TC1.4.

iiiNelson

Thanks for the nice words - the XT2 with the 100-400 was indeed and impressive combo, fast AF, pretty lightweight for the reach and resolution, and above all very sharp when it nailed focus, which it mostly did. I assume that with the latest FW update on the XT2 it should be even more accurate and fast!

The main reason I sold Fuji was that I wanted to stay for now in only one system and when the EM1.2 came out and I tried it it was immediately clear that this was the go-to camera and system for me - and this is maybe very subjective! Anyway I am more than happy with Olympus m43, especially with the 4/300 and the 2.8/40-150 and also the TC1.4.
No worries and I agree that Micro 4/3 is good enough for most things now. I do prefer the 4:3 aspect ratio compared to the 3:2 aspect ratio. I do see advantages with larger sensors as well for certain applications like portrait work and a more unique look in video production as evident with more cinema cameras going to larger sensors. The GH5 can do 6K anamorphic and that's certainly a really unique feature in cameras in this price range.

Now I tend to agree that I'd like to stay with a single system or ecosystem hence why I'm looking at Fuji X and G of course.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am for now staying with m43 and there with Olympus. But I am sitting first row and watching what Nikon, Canon and Leica are doing with FF mirrorless as when I can identify a valid mirrorless FF solution (vendor) for me I am very open to add this ecosystem.

Especially for the Nikon FF mirrorless I have high hopes, because I think they will start with a complete new mount and new lenses and that they will take video VERY serious (speaking of 4k FF usage). Add to that the very plausible possibility that they will also offer adapters for their F mount and G mount lenses and this immediately becomes a huge and very appealing ecosystem. Add on top of that that I was a Nikon shooter over decades and it shows how affin I would be to such a Nikon mirrorless FF.

And it would make for a perfect complement to m43 as well!

A new Leica SL would be another option, but then this means Leica prices and that is definitely far too expensive for me - sigh ...

And Canon - you never know but I cannot see them going this route very seriously.

Time will tell and for Nikon I am pretty sure we will already find out this year.