The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2, etc. ... Peculiarities

iiiNelson

I am for now staying with m43 and there with Olympus. But I am sitting first row and watching what Nikon, Canon and Leica are doing with FF mirrorless as when I can identify a valid mirrorless FF solution (vendor) for me I am very open to add this ecosystem.

Especially for the Nikon FF mirrorless I have high hopes, because I think they will start with a complete new mount and new lenses and that they will take video VERY serious (speaking of 4k FF usage). Add to that the very plausible possibility that they will also offer adapters for their F mount and G mount lenses and this immediately becomes a huge and very appealing ecosystem. Add on top of that that I was a Nikon shooter over decades and it shows how affin I would be to such a Nikon mirrorless FF.

And it would make for a perfect complement to m43 as well!

A new Leica SL would be another option, but then this means Leica prices and that is definitely far too expensive for me - sigh ...

And Canon - you never know but I cannot see them going this route very seriously.

Time will tell and for Nikon I am pretty sure we will already find out this year.
If I'm being 100% honest here I believe Sony is head and shoulders the best mirrorless brand for FF Hybrid cameras and will be for the foreseeable future. I know some like Leica but they will likely not let the SL surpass the M for long, the lens lineup is good but extremely limited, the prices are comparable to Medium Format Mirrorless, and those are reasons it will likely never sell to anyone but the most hardcore Leica fan.

Canon and Nikon have given half-hearted innovation efforts with their high-end DSLR's for two different reasons. Canon wants video shooters to move to their Cinema Series (which are truly Pro-level digital cine-cameras) and develop mirrorless technology internally first. Nikon treats video as an afterthought, gave us the 1 as a test product/novelty for amateur photography, all while periodically taking shots at mirrorless cameras from Sony and Fujifilm as they are likely cutting most into Nikon's sales more than Canon's.

I don't see how Nikon will build out a completely new system in a completely new mount in a relatively short time with their financial woes without relying heavily on F-mount and 3rd party adapted glass as a stop gap like Sony did for a while before dedicating efforts to the FF mirrorless cameras. The only other potential benefit is that some 3rd party lens makers are releasing Sony FE glass like Sigma, Voigtlander, Zeiss, Rokinon, etc. and they can potentially make Nikon versions in time as well. Unless this happens, you will see hardcore Nikon fans "flip-flop" on their opinions regarding the importance of fully fleshed out systems that they had about Sony for the last 5 years.

Now I had a thought yesterday that Canon MIGHT just go Medium Format Mirrorless to compete in a different segment that doesn't cannibalize EOS sales and development. This would actually make a lot of sense to target the fashion and wedding world with high-end stills and video and not alienate those that may fear having to dump their gear in time at firesale prices. Again Canon will need to adapt and implement EOS EF glass as a strategy no matter what.

It took a company like Sony the better part of 3-5 years to create an entire native premium all-around kit with aggressive development cycles. We've seen rumored Nikon 50/0.95 and 35/1.2 patents... I just don't see Nikon and maybe even Canon putting out 6-10 self-branded lenses a year across the next 2 or 3 years to play catch up. Maybe they will but then there are many options to compare now in the mirrorless world that don't have Canon or Nikon in white across the top plate.

In reality, it's worth seeing what either brand comes out with but if I was dead set on FF Mirrorless I'd choose Sony for the same reason that if I was deadset on a pro level DSLR I'd choose Canon or Nikon despite other options technically being available. The top lenses are outstanding and I'd put them up against the best from anyone to compare favorably or in the same league. Yes some are larger but a lot of that has to do with the motors being used and the resolving power. They are comparable to premium lenses of the same class in size from Zeiss, Canon, Nikon, Leica, Tamron, and Sigma.

k-hawinkler

I am trying here a comparison of not totally dissimilar subjects but with dissimilar gear. :facesmack: :LOL:

First Olympus E-M1MarkII + M.300mm F4.0 Pro image of American Bushtit :

Olympus E-M1MarkII + M.300mm F4.0 Pro @ ISO 250, FOCAL LENGTH 300.0 mm, APERTURE f/4.5, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0004s (1/2500)

Second Sony ILCE-9 + FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS image of Jumiper Titmouse:

Sony ILCE-9 + FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS (SEL100400GM) @ ISO 400, FOCAL LENGTH 400.0 mm, APERTURE f/5.6, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0004s (1/2500)

So, how do you assess IQ sharpness and detail in these two images? :salute:

iiiNelson

Looks like the A9 has a bit more detail in the feathers to me but it's nitpicking and pixel peeping at this point. Both are outstanding and it's impressive that the $4500 or so Olympus kit compares extremely well in this use with the $7000 or so Sony kit.

k-hawinkler

[h=1]It's official, Panasonic 2.8/200 is a near perfect lens :)[/h]https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4245839

Hmm, interesting. Quote:
"
And what's more, the performance with the bundled teleconverter is also extremely good. About as good as Olympus 300mm f/4 (if extrapolating its results to 16mp sensor).
"

"
[FONT=&quot]The resolution results is great news but the AF performance with the EM5.2 is a bit disconcerting. Apparently it's better with Panny bodies. IIRC, Olympus will be releasing a FW update for the EM1.2 to fix some bugs ith this particular lens. Hopefully they do the same for the other Oly cameras.
:

[/FONT]https://www.getdpi.com/forum/4-3rds-cameras/63220-af-issue-pl200-2-8-oly.html

k-hawinkler

Nuthatch

Olympus E-M1MarkII + M.300mm F4.0 Pro @ ISO 200, FOCAL LENGTH 300.0 mm, APERTURE f/4, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0004s (1/2500)

k-hawinkler

Not as crisp at ISO 2000 :facesmack:

Olympus E-M1MarkII + M.300mm F4.0 Pro @ ISO 2000, FOCAL LENGTH 300.0 mm, APERTURE f/4.5, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0004s (1/2500)

Elderly

There's also an earlier teleconference turned into an interview with Olympus on what firmware enhancements they are working on for the M1.2. Autofocus enhancements, mostly,

scott
I'm still waiting for a firmware update that will give me a smaller single focus box, and I've either been under a misapprehension or I've discovered a 'Peculiarity' :p.

I had thought that I could make the focus box smaller using the 'Zoom frame AF' (page 41 in the manual)
but it turns out that this is an illusion :scry:.

All it does is to place a thick green line around the focus box which APPEARS to make the box smaller :loco:.

I don't have time with my style of shooting to use the Super Spot AF to use and check the 'Zoom AF display'.

Am I missing something here ????

Knorp

I'm still waiting for a firmware update that will give me a smaller single focus box, and I've either been under a misapprehension or I've discovered a 'Peculiarity' :p.

I had thought that I could make the focus box smaller using the 'Zoom frame AF' (page 41 in the manual)
but it turns out that this is an illusion :scry:.

All it does is to place a thick green line around the focus box which APPEARS to make the box smaller :loco:.

I don't have time with my style of shooting to use the Super Spot AF to use and check the 'Zoom AF display'.

Am I missing something here ????
Ian, you're definitely missing a G9 ...
It has a really tiny focus box and an even smaller pinpoint crosshair (with magnification).
You'll love it.

Elderly

Ian, you're definitely missing a G9 ...
It has a really tiny focus box and an even smaller pinpoint crosshair (with magnification).
You'll love it.
I'm sure I would Bart, but I also really like my Olympus 12-100 mm lens and I wonder how they would pair?

There are a number of reasons why I'm not going to trade my EM1 mk2 just yet, but I suspect that in the end a G9 will be mine :).

Knorp

I'm sure I would Bart, but I also really like my Olympus 12-100 mm lens and I wonder how they would pair?

There are a number of reasons why I'm not going to trade my EM1 mk2 just yet, but I suspect that in the end a G9 will be mine :).
Your EM1 mk2, like mine, is an almost perfect tool. Likewise the G9 is an almost perfect tool.
They both have their quirks, so no reason to rush out.
And you know what they say about next door's lawn ... :grin:

As for your 12-100/4, I'd be really surprised if it disappoints on the G9 in terms of IQ.
But full IBIS/OIS/Dual/Dual2 functionality, or whatever they call it :rolleyes:, that's a different matter to consider.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think I came t the conclusion that I would not mix up Panasonic and Olympus cameras and lenses. Just to much problems that could occur - and I am so tired of endless testing.

Just want to grab a camera and be fine :cool:

Elderly

Your EM1 mk2, like mine, is an almost perfect tool. Likewise the G9 is an almost perfect tool.
I was an early adopter of Micro 4/3rds (GH1) because I wanted a smaller toolbox :),
however since then, my toolbox has got progressively bigger and heavier and the G9 with the 12-100 may be going too far away from my initial rationale. :cry:.

If I go over to a G9 with a PL 12-60 (once their PL 50-200 appears) I hope that I won't miss that extra 40mm of reach for grabbing certain unrepeatable moments.

So for the moment I'll stick with my current 'almost' perfect tool and hope that Olympus can do something about the SAF focusing in firmware to bring it up to that of my old EM1 mk1's excellent standard, and see what progresses with the PL 50-200.

k-hawinkler

Olympus E-M1MarkII + M.300mm F4.0 @ ISO 200, FOCAL LENGTH 300.0 mm, APERTURE f/4, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0004s (1/2500)

k-hawinkler

Olympus E-M1MarkII + M.300mm F4.0 Pro @ ISO 200, FOCAL LENGTH 300.0 mm, APERTURE f/4.5, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0004s (1/2500)

The above image looks slightly over-sharpened to me.
So I reduced the default sharpening in C1 by ⅓.

Another shot, same parameters.

k-hawinkler

White-Breasted Nuthatch on Suet Feeder

Olympus E-M1MarkII + M.300mm F4.0 + MC-14 @ ISO 400, FOCAL LENGTH 420.0 mm, APERTURE f/5.6, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0005s (1/2000)