The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2, etc. ... Peculiarities

k-hawinkler

Bewick's Wren on Suet Feeder

Olympus E-M1MarkII + M.300mm F4.0 @ ISO 200, FOCAL LENGTH 300.0 mm, APERTURE f/4.5, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0004s (1/2500)

k-hawinkler

Panasonic Lumix G9 vs Olympus OM-D E-M1 II
Published Feb 6, 2018 | Allison Johnson
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/4...lympus-om-d-e-m1-ii?ref_=pe_1674010_132618830

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II for me. :thumbup:
Hopefully we get a substantial firmware update soon. :thumbs:
If not, Olympus better come out with the E-M1 Mark III ASAP, matching or exceeding the Sony A9's silent/electronic shutter, that is essentially free of rolling shutter artifacts. :watch:

Knorp

Panasonic Lumix G9 vs Olympus OM-D E-M1 II
Published Feb 6, 2018 | Allison Johnson
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/4...lympus-om-d-e-m1-ii?ref_=pe_1674010_132618830

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II for me. :thumbup:
Hopefully we get a substantial firmware update soon. :thumbs:
If not, Olympus better come out with the E-M1 Mark III ASAP, matching or exceeding the Sony A9's silent/electronic shutter, that is essentially free of rolling shutter artifacts. :watch:
It's the G9 for me and the only substantial firmware upgrade we'll see is improved AF support for the PL200/2.8
An EM1-III is a complete different story and perhaps to be announced by the end of the year.

k-hawinkler

It's the G9 for me and the only substantial firmware upgrade we'll see is improved AF support for the PL200/2.8
An EM1-III is a complete different story and perhaps to be announced by the end of the year.

Thanks Bart.
Just curious, what are you doing with your Olympus FT SHG lenses?

k-hawinkler

February 3, 2016

Panasonic develops 10times Higher Saturation & Highly Functional Global Shutter Technology by controlling of Organic-Photoconductive-Film on CMOS Image Sensor
Panasonic develops 10times Higher Saturation & Highly Functional Global Shutter Technology by controlling of Organic-Photoconductive-Film on CMOS Image Sensor | Headquarters News | Panasonic Newsroom Global

Feb 14, 2018​

Panasonic Develops Industry's-First*1
8K High-Resolution, High-Performance Global Shutter Technology
using Organic-Photoconductive-Film CMOS Image Sensor

The new technology enables 8K high resolution and high picture quality imaging without motion distortion, even in extremely bright scenes.

Panasonic Develops Industry's-First 8K High-Resolution, High-Performance Global Shutter Technology using Organic-Photoconductive-Film CMOS Image Sensor | Headquarters News | Panasonic Newsroom Global

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Sony’s answer:

Sensor breakthrough: Sony has developed a backlit CMOS sensor with global shutter
Published Feb 16, 2018 | Damien Demolder, Rishi Sanyal

https://www.dpreview.com/news/19457...with-global-shutter?ref_=pe_1674010_132618830
This is actually excellent, exciting news for all photography! First m43 will benefit from this, then APSC and finally also FF:

PS: a bit off topic but anyway - with the intro of that excellent X-H1 (APSC) I expect this technology to come to APSC sensors in the next 2-3 years and then the Fuji X system (which is based on APSC) would finally become my preferred main system, as then all components would allow to build an excellent overall system for my needs with considerably less size and weight than FF but so much better IQ and DR-High Iso freedom compared to m43. :clap::cool::D

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Thanks Peter. Good luck with your plans.
Panasonic, Fuji, and Sony for sure will use this technology in future cameras.
Question, when will a global silent shutter show up in an Olympus camera?

I will stick with MFT and Sony gear (APS-C and FF). :grin:
I am confident my Olympus 300/4 Pro lens will also work well on an GH6 - if Olympus shouldn't have a competitive camera at that time. :facesmack:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks Peter. Good luck with your plans.
Panasonic, Fuji, and Sony for sure will use this technology in future cameras.
Question, when will a global silent shutter show up in an Olympus camera?

I will stick with MFT and Sony gear (APS-C and FF). :grin:
I am confident my Olympus 300/4 Pro lens will also work well on an GH6 - if Olympus shouldn't have a competitive camera at that time. :facesmack:
Thanks as well K-H - I think you tend more to the 2-systems approach :thumbs:

Hope we both have great fun!

k-hawinkler

Hi Barry, you regularly create stunning images with your Sony gear, including third party lenses. You certainly have the fitting equipment for your photography journey. I noticed you looked recently at a number of my MFT images, primarily birding shots. I hope some of them get your approval.

IMHO the E-M1.2 + 300/4 Pro + 1.4x TC and the Sony A9 + 100-400/4.5-5.6 GM OSS, 1.4x and even 2x TC are equally capable of excellent performance. I like to use both systems, equally superior lenses, with the A9 clearly being the best camera for action/birding shots I have ever used. I also own the A7r.2, a terrific camera for landscape and general photography, that I also used for birding shots. However, since when I have owned the A9, the shortcomings of the A7r.2 for biding shots have been painfully obvious. So I continue to use the A7r.2 for those areas for which it excels! :thumbup:

For Christmas I got the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 25mm f/1.2 PRO Lens on sale - but so far haven't used it. That lens certainly got rave reviews together with its siblings, the 17/1.2 and 45/1.2 Pro lenses. As I understand it, soon to be joined by the 12/1.2 Pro.

So today I took the 25/1.2 for a spin on my E-M1.2.

Olympus E-M1MarkII + M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 25mm f/1.2 PRO @ ISO 200, FOCAL LENGTH 25.0 mm, APERTURE f/1.6, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0002s (1/5000)

This is a 2-image panorama shot with the same combination of a neighborhood house on sale.

Olympus E-M1MarkII + M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 25mm f/1.2 PRO @ ISO 200, FOCAL LENGTH 25.0 mm, APERTURE f/1.2, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0002s (1/5000)

Olympus E-M1MarkII + M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 25mm f/1.2 PRO @ ISO 200, FOCAL LENGTH 25.0 mm, APERTURE f/1.2, EXPOSURE TIME 0.00025s (1/4000)

k-hawinkler

Chamisa

Olympus E-M1MarkII + M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 25mm f/1.2 PRO @ ISO 200, FOCAL LENGTH 25.0 mm, APERTURE f/1.2, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0001s (1/10000)

Barry Haines

Hi Barry, you regularly create stunning images with your Sony gear, including third party lenses. You certainly have the fitting equipment for your photography journey. I noticed you looked recently at a number of my MFT images, primarily birding shots. I hope some of them get your approval.

IMHO the E-M1.2 + 300/4 Pro + 1.4x TC and the Sony A9 + 100-400/4.5-5.6 GM OSS, 1.4x and even 2x TC are equally capable of excellent performance. I like to use both systems, equally superior lenses, with the A9 clearly being the best camera for action/birding shots I have ever used. I also own the A7r.2, a terrific camera for landscape and general photography, that I also used for birding shots. However, since when I have owned the A9, the shortcomings of the A7r.2 for biding shots have been painfully obvious. So I continue to use the A7r.2 for those areas for which it excels! :thumbup:

Many thanks K-H, I try to look across most of the forum threads whenever I get the chance :)
I can now easily see a clear difference in these newer MFT cameras from when I was shooting back with a Panasonic GH2 and GH3 (Not that I thought that the GH3 was a bad camera by any means. it's just that technology has just got so much better within the last 5-7 years)...The sensors look much cleaner whilst resolving better detail at the same time, even the lens choices are more refined.

I had missed/overlooked some of your earlier bird images within some of these MFT threads, hence the return visit last night to see your amazing bird images...I'm no bird photographer but I like to think I recognize an excellent image when I see one....and you have many here and in the Sony forums....I take my hat off to you...Cheers Barry

k-hawinkler

Juniper Titmouse

Olympus E-M1MarkII + M.300mm F4.0 @ ISO 250, FOCAL LENGTH 300.0 mm,APERTURE f/4, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0004s (1/2500)

k-hawinkler

Hmm what to expect from the upcoming firmware update.
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4255025?page=3#forum-post-60791339, quote:
"
There is an HTML bug that is cutting off the last four lines.

- New art filter [Bleach Bypass] has been added.
- Possible to use focus stacking photography with "M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm F4.0 IS PRO".
- Small targets have been added to AF target mode.
- Possible to set a maximum of 35 pre-shutter frames for Pro Capture shooting.
- Display has been improved to show that Pro Capture shooting is recording.
- "Flicker Scan" has been added so it is possible to reduce flickering by fine adjustment of shutter speed while looking at the live view when using electronic shutter.
- Fisheye compensation photography has been added for use of M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm F1.8 Fisheye PRO. You can view the effects in live view while shooting images.
- Possible to set zoom ratio during playback. Also, added pixel equivalence display to zoom ratio.
- Pro Capture shooting is available for additional lenses.
- Display of remaining battery power has been improved.
- Response when assigning AF to AEL/AFL button has been improved.
- Stability of camera operation when using OLYMPUS Capture has been improved.
- Stability of image stabilizer operation when shooting video has been improved.
- Performance of C-AF when shooting still images has been improved.
- Color reproduction of photographed images has been improved.
- Stability of operation when shooting still images has been improved.
- Corrected issue of autofocus (AF) function not operating correctly when using the "LEICA DG ELMARIT 200mm F2.8 / POWER O.I.S. (H-ES200)" interchangeable lens produced by Panasonic.
"

Hopefully after the firmware update I still will get those pretty sharp images with my 300/4 Pro prime lens! :grin: