The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2, etc. ... Peculiarities

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I also never saw the need for micro adjustment on any m43 camera/lens combo and also not on any of my Fuji combos.

k-hawinkler

I also never saw the need for micro adjustment on any m43 camera/lens combo and also not on any of my Fuji combos.
Thanks Peter. The same for my MFT lenses. In contrast all of my 4 Olympus FT lenses improved with micro-adjustment applied.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks Peter. The same for my MFT lenses. In contrast all of my 4 Olympus FT lenses improved with micro-adjustment applied.
Yes K-H, this is something expected as 43 lenses and cameras worked still with a AF unit separate from the sensor - like all DSLRs do (did). The critical thing is that this AF unit needed to be especially tight adjusted as only the slightest mis-adjustment already brought unsharp pictures (smaller sensors, relatively more resolution ...)

I never worried about adjusting any mirrorless camera - lens combination as I am not paranoid :D

Knorp

Well this https://www.getdpi.com/forum/4-3rds...5-e-m5-2-etc-peculiarities-54.html#post752346 looks in focus to me. In focus and out of focus images, even just slightly so, appear differently. My E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro consistently appear to deliver in focus and sharp images. That’s good enough for me. Bart, do you think the image referenced above is out of focus? :shocked:
Lucky shot I guess ... :p
I've used LensAlign Pro for my 300/4 at various distances and did find room for improvement.

k-hawinkler

Lucky shot I guess ... :p
I've used LensAlign Pro for my 300/4 at various distances and did find room for improvement.
Thanks Bart. Better lucky than smart, as they say around here.

Which micro-adjustments work out for your 300/4 lens?
Did you find different adjustments for different focus distances?

Do I remember correctly the adjustment applies only to C-AF? TIA.

Again, I am looking forward to the new firmware updates for all my OM-D cameras, spread out over this year. Hopefully starting next week with the E-M1.2.

Knorp

Thanks Bart. Better lucky than smart, as they say around here.

Which micro-adjustments work out for your 300/4 lens?
Did you find different adjustments for different focus distances?

Do I remember correctly the adjustment applies only to C-AF? TIA.

Again, I am looking forward to the new firmware updates for all my OM-D cameras, spread out over this year. Hopefully starting next week with the E-M1.2.
-2 adjustment, distances ranges from 2 to 6 meters. Any further and it became difficult to accurately check the LAP scale.
I'm pretty sure I was using S-AF.

k-hawinkler

Page 112 of the E-M1 Mark II Instruction Manual:

AF Focus Adj.
Focal location adjustment for phase-difference AF can be fine tuned within a range of ±20 steps.

Knorp

Page 112 of the E-M1 Mark II Instruction Manual:

AF Focus Adj.
Focal location adjustment for phase-difference AF can be fine tuned within a range of ±20 steps.
K-H, just a thought: I made the adjustments indoors. Could that have triggered PDAF ?
Anyway, when I find some time I'll look for the test shots as I still should have them on disk (somewhere).

Kind regards.

k-hawinkler

Shutter Count

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4258152

Guy Parsons • Forum Pro • Posts: 28,477
Re: Shutter Count on OMD EM-1 II
In reply to Colin Smith1 • 1 min ago

Colin Smith1 wrote:

Anyone who can give me good step by step instructions for the EM-1 II? I tried using instructions for EM-1 and they don't seem to work? Thanks.

-- hide signature --
Colin Smith

My old page seems to hold true for all M4/3 Oly.

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog/olyepl1/12-epl1-shotcount.html

To save time and your clicks I'll paste the method here.....

► Camera OFF
► Hold down MENU button and turn ON the camera
► Release MENU button and press MENU again to get to Menus
► Go to LCD Brightness Menu, that's in Spanner/Wrench Menu.
► Press RIGHT to show screen adjusters
► Press INFO and then press OK and on my E-PL1 this shows on screen....
OLYMPUS E-PL1
04 01 01 01
► Press in sequence UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT/SHUTTER/UP and Page 1 info appears
► Variously then press RIGHT for Page 2, DOWN for Page 3, LEFT for Page 4 and UP again to get Page 1

What we are looking for is the information on Page 2, on my E-PL1 it shows (in earlier days).....

R 002947 [total shot count, includes electronic shutter] - [E-M1 Mk2 shows MS for this item, and is mechanical shutter count only]
S 000194 [shot count with flash]
C 000000 [unknown]
U 001493 [ultrasonic wave cleaner count, equals turn on count plus pixel map count] -[may have changed count usage with E-M1 Mk2]
V 000000 [unknown]
B 002396 [total shot count using in-body stabilisation (IBIS)]
L 000000 [unknown]

On Page 4 is D: which is the damage code log, mine shows nothing and that is good. [E-M1 Mk2 shows 100% for this item, presumably if all is OK]

Power off to reset the camera back to normal.

Hope that helps.

Regards.... Guy

k-hawinkler

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1531495/0#14376529 quote:”

Where did you read about the C-AF being updated? There is nothing about it in the text about the update and all I've heard about it before has been mostly rumours or wishes.

I saw it on an Olympus page which I think has been removed now:

- New art filter [Bleach Bypass] has been added.
- Possible to use focus stacking photography with "M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm F4.0 IS PRO".
- Small targets have been added to AF target mode.
- Possible to set a maximum of 35 pre-shutter frames for Pro Capture shooting.
Display has been improved to show that Pro Capture shooting is recording.
- "Flicker Scan" has been added so it is possible to reduce flickering by fine adjustment of shutter speed while looking at the live view when using electronic shutter.
- Fisheye compensation photography has been added for use of M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm F1.8 Fisheye PRO. You can view the effects in live view while shooting images.
- Possible to set zoom ratio during playback. Also, added pixel equivalence display to zoom ratio.
- Pro Capture shooting is available for additional lenses.
- Display of remaining battery power has been improved.
- Response when assigning AF to AEL/AFL button has been improved.
- Stability of camera operation when using OLYMPUS Capture has been improved.
- Stability of image stabilizer operation when shooting video has been improved
- Performance of C-AF when shooting still images has been improved.
- Color reproduction of photographed images has been improved.
- Stability of operation when shooting still images has been improved.
- Corrected issue of autofocus (AF) function not operating correctly when using the "LEICA DG ELMARIT 200mm F2.8 / POWER O.I.S. (H-ES200)" interchangeable lens produced by Panasonic.

Very nice if true. Hopefully we find out next week.
:grin:

k-hawinkler

This is a shot from last May with the ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD. I bought this lens new last March when Olympus dumped their remaining stock of FT lenses at half price. Back then list price was $1,199.99, -$600.00 Discount, +$30.75 (US-NM (5.125%) Tax for a Grand Total of $630.74. Not bad, not bad at all. :thumbs:

Canyon Towhee

Olympus E-M1MarkII + ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD @ ISO 200, FOCAL LENGTH 200.0 mm, APERTURE f/4, EXPOSURE TIME 0.00313s (1/320)

k-hawinkler

For our adventurous members! Use at your own risk! YMMV!!!

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4259433

brianric • Veteran Member • Posts: 7,410
E-M1 Mk II Firmware Rev 2.0 installed.
2 hours ago

Just installed firmware 2.0. Some precautions should be noted.
Recommend using Oly updater to backup settings and then restore after firmware update. Also recommend taking a picture with second card, do the firmware update as shown in below in a different sd card, then restore settings, then take one picture with second card only in camera only if you want to maintain your shot counter, otherwise your counter resets to 1.
Go here to get firmware. Go here for instructions to install firmware.
Initial observation. Pro Capture High works on PL 100-400 and P 35-100/2.8 Mk I along with my 4/3 14-35/2.0. Pro Capture low grayed out.. Haven't checked my other Panasonic lenses. I have no idea if Dual IS on PL 100-400. How do you check? When I turn off OIS on 12-100, S-IS1 disappears. Not so with PL 100-400. Will need info how to check Oly 8mm/1.8 fisheye. Small focus point can be selected. Will try and check out tomorrow features that I use. Sorry, not a birder.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

https://lightsnowdev.com/Olympus/how-to-flash.html

How to flash a firmware

The whole process will take a about 1-2 minutes.
Make sure your camera is turned off at first. Now insert the SD Card with the firmware file.

Start the camera while pushing the "OK" button.
The screen will be black and the orange front LED will turn on.
DO NOT TURN THE CAMERA OFF WHILE THE LED IS ON.

Wait until it blinks rapidly.
This means the process is finished. You can now restart the camera like you would do normaly.

Attention afterwards:
You may want to remove the "DCOLYMP" folder from your SD card, so you don't flash a new firmware by accident.

End.