The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2, etc. ... Peculiarities

Knorp

Hmmmmmmm :banghead: I now have the small square focus box in green, which is what I want :thumbup:
BUT, changing VIA THE MENU, I can't get the blue rectangular focus box if I wanted to -
which I don't :):grin:.

My problem earlier was trying to select the size of the box via the menu (where I failed)
but using your instruction to change the size via the SCP worked fine.

I do find this camera less intuitive than my ex Nikon FM2 :grin:
:LOL: I've added random colour in the text to tell them apart ...

Knorp

Hmmmmmmm :banghead: I now have the small square focus box in green, which is what I want :thumbup:
BUT, changing VIA THE MENU, I can't get the blue rectangular focus box if I wanted to -
which I don't :):grin:.

My problem earlier was trying to select the size of the box via the menu (where I failed)
but using your instruction to change the size via the SCP worked fine.

I do find this camera less intuitive than my ex Nikon FM2 :grin:
The new manual that comes with firmware version 2.0 indeed doesn't mention the small focus box. I guess we're in for an imminent update ... :banghead:

Elderly

:LOL: I've added random colour in the text to tell them apart ...
Irrespective of the (your) colours, I cannot get back to the rectangle via the menu system,
but that's not a problem as I can do it via the SCP.

I wonder if any of this changes the 'Zoom frame' situation? ( I'm thinking to myself - no need to respond :D)

Knorp

Irrespective of the (your) colours, I cannot get back to the rectangle via the menu system,
but that's not a problem as I can do it via the SCP.

I wonder if any of this changes the 'Zoom frame' situation? ( I'm thinking to myself - no need to respond :D)
Thinking out loud is a virtue of the "Elderly" ... :ROTFL:

k-hawinkler

The VERY good news, and the confusing news .......

The VERY good news is that just after downloading and installing the updates to my body and lens,
we suffered a brief power cut, followed by a power surge which triggered the anti-surge shutting down my PC. I wonder what would have happened to my camera if the power cut and surge had happened during the procedure :bugeyes::mad: ?

The confusing news is that single focus box appears to still be the same size as before :banghead: :cry:
The power failure could have possibly bricked your unit.
You would have gained a nice paper weight though! :facesmack:

What would have bricked it for sure is if the power failure happened during the install phase.
If it happened during the downloading phase (happened to me once) just try again later.

k-hawinkler

In my case the first number is a 7 .......... if I've remembered correctly :grin:.
Well Ian, I will be joining your club pretty soon! :grin:

This image of a Nuthatch was shot with E-M1.2 FW 2.0 and 300/4 Pro FW 1.4.

Olympus E-M1MarkII + OLYMPUS M.300mm F4.0 @ ISO 800, FOCAL LENGTH 300.0 mm, APERTURE f/4, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0008s (1/1250)

Seems to still work! :clap:

k-hawinkler

Pro Cap Hi with E-M1.2 FW 2.0 and 300/2.8 SHG works.
Pro Cap Lo is greyed out for this lens.

Olympus E-M1MarkII + ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm 1:2.8 @ ISO 500, FOCAL LENGTH 300.0 mm,APERTURE f/3.2, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0004s (1/2500)

k-hawinkler

My 4 Olympus FT lenses behave the same way.
I have little tuna, z tuna, big tuna, and the 50-200/2.8-3.5 SWD.
Pro Cap Hi is enabled, Pro Cap Lo is disabled.
Also selecting Pro Cap Hi switches C-AF to S-AF.
C-AF is disabled then.

k-hawinkler

A Junco Jump

Olympus E-M1MarkII + ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD @ ISO 800, FOCAL LENGTH 200.0 mm, APERTURE f/3.5, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0004s (1/2500)

k-hawinkler

This is the first time I was using the highest frame rate (60 FPS) and retaining the last 35 images of Pro Cap Hi.
Without these settings I could not have captured this entire amazing sequence.
The birds finally drifted out of the frame.

As they say, better lucky than smart.

S-AF focused well on the Suet Feeder.
But that takes a fair fraction of a second.
Luckily the 2 Juncos stayed in that plane of focus.
The FT zoom tuna 90-250/2.8 SHG is certainly a gem of a lens that I bought brand new when Olympus dumped their remaining FT lenses at half price when they announced that they had ceased production of FT lenses.

Also I learned that a Junco can fly backwards, similarly to a Hummingbird. Amazing indeed IMHO.

One more high resolution image.

k-hawinkler

Reaching Deep

Olympus E-M1MarkII + ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm 1:2.8 @ ISO 200, FOCAL LENGTH 300.0 mm, APERTURE f/3.5, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0004s (1/2500)

k-hawinkler

Evening Grosbeak

Olympus E-M1MarkII + ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm 1:2.8 @ ISO 320, FOCAL LENGTH 300.0 mm, APERTURE f/2.8, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0004s (1/2500)

k-hawinkler

House Finch • Titmouse

Olympus E-M1MarkII + ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm 1:2.8 @ ISO 200, FOCAL LENGTH 300.0 mm, APERTURE f/3.5, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0004s (1/2500)