The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2, etc. ... Peculiarities

iiiNelson

Bigger isn’t always better, or why you can’t see the difference most of the time

FEBRUARY 21, 2019 BY MING THEIN 42 COMMENTS

https://blog.mingthein.com/2019/02/21/bigger-isnt-always-better/#more-17682
Sure... as long as it’s a static subject/scene. The reality is that once motion happens and you need to raise the ISO it doesn’t matter that a person can handhold at 1/6th of a second when the subject is a blurry mess of things. It’s great when IBIS smooths things out for us but it’s also a case by case situation. Larger sensors generally provide less noise in poorer light. There’s a place for both IMO.

k-hawinkler

Olympus E-M1X versus the E-M1 II, Panasonic G9, Fujifilm X-T3 and Nikon D500
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/5...-ii-panasonic-g9-fujifilm-x-t3-and-nikon-d500

At this time I see no reason to abandon my E-M1 II.
It was my first mirrorless camera without any focus hunting issues to speak of.
Unfortunately its sensor readout time of 1/60 s is not fast enough to avoid rolling shutter artifacts when shooting Hummingbirds in Flight (HIFs) with its silent electronic shutter.

For HIFs the Sony A9 with 1/160 s sensor readout time avoids rolling electronic shutter artifacts, so continues to be my preferred camera for HIFs.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Did not want to open a new thread, so I thought it might be appropriate to post this info here:

This is a pretty good and honest review of the EM1.2 (yes, not the EM1X, just the EM1.2) and the pro photographer Ian Farrell comes to really like this camera and some of the PRO lenses.

https://www.olympus-imagespace.co.uk/getting-to-know-you/

After not finding any other mirrorless system till now that would really allow me to move on from Olympus Em1.2 and Pro lenses this view assures me once more to stay calm and continue using what I already own without getting again cought up in the trap of buying/using a completely new system.

And there is great hope for an EM1.3 sometime in 2020 :thumbup:

iiiNelson

Did not want to open a new thread, so I thought it might be appropriate to post this info here:

This is a pretty good and honest review of the EM1.2 (yes, not the EM1X, just the EM1.2) and the pro photographer Ian Farrell comes to really like this camera and some of the PRO lenses.

https://www.olympus-imagespace.co.uk/getting-to-know-you/

After not finding any other mirrorless system till now that would really allow me to move on from Olympus Em1.2 and Pro lenses this view assures me once more to stay calm and continue using what I already own without getting again cought up in the trap of buying/using a completely new system.

And there is great hope for an EM1.3 sometime in 2020 :thumbup:
I believe I read an interview not long ago that olympus was slated to possibly release two more cameras this year. I’m think one may be an EM5m3 and who knows about the other...

k-hawinkler

Well Peter and Tre.

Whatever cameras Olympus comes up with, my interest or lack thereof will depend primarily on significantly (minimum of 3x) improved sensor readout times.

E-M5.3 is okay for m43 lenses, however for 43 lenses I need E-M1.3.:facesmack:

The Sony A9 with FW 5.0 has set such an astoundingly high bar. :thumbup:
Focusing speed and tracking are unreal. :clap:
And FW 6.0 with Eye-AF for animals will be released shortly. :thumbs:

Then there will be the Fuji 100S. :thumbup:

k-hawinkler

SOFTWARE & APP DOWNLOADS
https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/software

From an email I got from B&H, quote: "
Heads Up! Olympus Brings Firmware V3.0 to E-M1 Mark II and V1.1 to E-M1X

Hello,

Tons of improvements are coming to your Olympus camera in the latest firmware update. The OM-D E-M1 Mark II gets a very significant update to Version 3.0 while the flagship OM-D E-M1X gets a nice boost up to Version 1.1. Also, the Olympus Workspace software is updated to add a few useful functions and features to your workflow.

For the E-M1 Mark II, this update brings substantial improvements to autofocus. It also adds group 25-point to AF Target, C-AF Center Priority, and plenty of other modes for optimizing your settings perfectly for your subject. Autofocus can now work down to -6EV with an f/1.2 lens for low-light shooting. Also, operation is enhanced with a new ISO L100 setting and Detail Priority setting, an anti-flicker mode, OM-Log400, and tons more. The E-M1X doesn’t receive quite as much, but will support the latest features in Olympus Workspace after updating to Version 1.1.

The Olympus Workspace Image Editing Software provides a few nice new abilities for editing in Version 1.1. These include focus stacking for compositing images shot with Focus Bracketing, a Lighten/Darken Composite that provides a similar effect to the Live Composite mode, a USB RAW Data Edit for using the TruePic VIII processor of a connected camera to speed up editing. Please check out the Olympus Support Page to download these updates for yourself.

View Support Page https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/software

Thank you for choosing B&H.

Sincerely,
Customer Service Team
B&H Photo Video & Audio B&H
"

Firmware upgrade brings features from Olympus's E-M1X to the E-M1 Mark II
Published Jun 19, 2019 | dpreview staff
https://www.dpreview.com/news/52974...ures-from-olympus-s-e-m1x-to-the-e-m1-mark-ii, quote: "

Press Release
OLYMPUS ANNOUNCES FIRMWARE UPGRADES ENHANCING AUTOFOCUS PERFORMANCE AND IMAGE QUALITY

Version 3.0 for the OM-D[SUP]®[/SUP] E-M1 Mark II, Version 1.1 for the OM-D E-M1X and Version 1.1 for Olympus[SUP]®[/SUP] Workspace
CENTER VALLEY, Pa., June 19, 2019 – Olympus is pleased to announce availability of the latest firmware upgrade for two interchangeable lens cameras, Version 3.0 for the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II and Version 1.1 for the Olympus OM-D E-M1X. Additionally, Firmware Version 1.1 is now available for Olympus Workspace. OM-D E-M1 Mark II firmware Version 3.0 adds high-precision autofocus (AF) performance and the high image quality currently available on Olympus’ newest OM-D, the E-M1X. Specifically designed for the professional models in the OM-D series, the OM-D E-M1 Mark II and OM-D E-M1X, this new firmware provides feature enhancements for photographers who require portability and smooth operation of the camera when shooting.
OM-D E-M1 Mark II Firmware Version 3.0: Main Features
Advanced AF Performance
This upgrade utilizes the OM-D E-M1X algorithm, which was developed based on the shooting needs of the professional photographer. With the goal of achieving performance that responds to demanding shooting conditions, such as fast movement in sports, etc., C-AF Center Priority delivers high-precision tracking of moving subjects and sudden subject movement. AF precision for still subjects when using S-AF is improved for various subjects compared to OM-D E-M1 Mark II firmware Version 2.3. Active use of information from the On-chip Phase Detection AF sensor also improves AF performance while shooting video.
Newest AutoFocus Features
Group 25-point has been added to AF Target, and is effective for photographing birds and other small subjects. C-AF Center Priority is now available, and repeatedly autofocuses with priority on the center point in Group 5-point, Group 9-point, and Group 25-point. If AF is not possible in the center point, the peripheral points in the group area assists, which is effective for subjects that move around quickly. In addition, C-AF+MF[SUP]1[/SUP] is included which allows users to instantly switch to MF by turning the focus ring while in C-AF for fine tuning the focus.
Low Light Limit Update
The AF low light limit when an f/1.2 lens is attached is -6.0 EV (ISO 100 equivalent for S-AF), enabling high precision focusing in both dark scenes and for low-contrast subjects.
Improved Image Quality
Low ISO Processing (Detail Priority) has been added for higher resolution when shooting at low ISO sensitivity[1], making it possible to reduce noise while shooting with low ISO settings. Compared with OM-D E-M1 Mark II firmware Version 2.3, noise that occurs when shooting at high ISO sensitivity is improved approximately 1/3 of a step.
Support for New Functions in Olympus Workspace
USB RAW Data Edit[2] is now supported for much faster RAW processing in Olympus Workspace by connecting the camera to a computer to use the power of the OM-D E-M1 Mark II TruePic™ VIII image processor.
Enhanced Operability

• Anti-flicker shooting added to prevent unstable exposure, particularly when sequential shooting indoors.
  • OM-Log400 movie-exclusive picture mode added, allowing the user to shoot movies without loss of details in shadows or highlight blowouts, delivery greater freedom over video creativity through color grading.
  • Frame Rate Priority added to Live View Boost/On2 display, displaying images at a comfortable brightness, even in especially dark locations, such as under a starlit sky without lowering the frame rate.
  • From 3 to 15 shots can be selected in Focus Stacking and guide lines have been added to the shooting area
  • Quick image selection added
  • Setting changes and playback display while writing to card now possible, facilitating quick operation.
  • Instant Film added to Art Filter
  • ISO L100 (ISO 100 equivalent) added
OM-D E-M1X Firmware Version 1.1 Main Features
USB RAW Data Edit is now supported for much faster RAW processing in Olympus Workspace by connecting the camera to a computer to use the power of the OM-D E-M1X TruePic VIII image processor.
Olympus Workspace Image Editing Software Version 1.1: Main Features
Focus Stacking added for compositing images shot in Focus Bracketing[3]
Previously, when using Focus Stacking on a computer, it was necessary to use commercially available third party software to composite images. Now, t is possible to composite up to 999 images in Olympus Workspace.
Lighten Composite added
Lighten Composite is now supported by Olympus Workspace, making it possible to create images similar to Live Composite on the camera. Darken Composite has also been added.
USB RAW Data Edit has been added for much faster RAW processing in Olympus Workspace by connecting the camera to a computer, using the power of the OM-D E-M1 Mark II and OM-D E-M1X TruePic VIII image processor.
Function Support Chart

Please visit the following URL for access to Olympus software and Digital Camera Updater:
https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/software

Pricing and Availability
Firmware Version 3.0 for the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Firmware Version 1.1 for the Olympus OM-D E-M1X and Firmware Version 1.1 for Olympus Workspace are available at no charge as an ongoing value demonstrating Olympus’ commitment to continuous product improvements.
[1] May affect the number of sequential shots in normal sequential shooting priority modes.
[2] This new function makes RAW processing much faster by using the TruePic VIII image processor on the camera via USB connection. Olympus Workspace and the supported camera must both be updated with required firmware. The available editing options from Olympus Workspace are limited to RAW editing options that can be handled internally in the camera. Compatible models are OM-D E-M1X and OM-D E-M1 Mark II, and images are saved in JPEG format.
[3] Images must be shot with a lens that supports Focus Stacking.
"

Last edited:

Elderly

I've just installed Firmware Version 3.0 for my OM-D E-M1 Mark II ….

…. and now there IS something Peculiar AND VERY ANNOYING !

If a chose to shoot using one SD card only - "No Card" and the number of whichever card slot is empty
appears near the top of the viewfinder and/or rear screen.
It disappears only with a half press of the shutter button, but then re-appears as soon as my finger is removed.

H E L P ………..

PerThorup

If a chose to shoot using one SD card only - "No Card" and the number of whichever card slot is empty
It disappears only with a half press of the shutter button, but then re-appears as soon as my finger is removed.

H E L P ………..
Works fine here with ony one card in camera. Both slots tested.

Regards/Per

k-hawinkler

H E L P ………..
Dunno. Clean contacts, reseat, format in camera...use a new or different card.

k-hawinkler

Is there a new user manual for FW 3.0 of the E-M1 mark II? TIA.
Or do I simply refer to the E-M1X user manual? :facesmack:

k-hawinkler

Hi there K-H,

not checked this yet, but please try this link: https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/pen.cfm#body

brgds.

Many thanks Bart! WOW! Incredible!
How do you find those kind of things?

Yup, that’s it. Quoting from your link: “

• *1 Because new functions have been added to the E-M1 Mark II with firmware version 2.0 and 3.0, the instruction manual has been revised accordingly.
    For instructions regarding the latest firmware version 3.0, refer to the E-M1 Mark II (Ver 3.0) instruction manual.
    For instructions regarding movies, refer to the Movie Guide.
  • *2 Because new functions have been added to the E-M1 with firmware version 2.0 and 4.0, the instruction manual has been revised accordingly.
    For instructions regarding the latest firmware version 4.0, refer to the E-M1 (Ver 4.0) instruction manual.
  • *3 Because new functions have been added to the E-M5 Mark II with firmware version 2.0 and 4.0, the instruction manual has been revised accordingly.
    For instructions regarding the latest firmware version 4.0, refer to the E-M5 Mark II (Ver 4.0) instruction manual.
  • *4 Because new functions have been added to the E-M10 Mark III with firmware version 1.1, the instruction manual has been revised accordingly.
    For instructions regarding the latest firmware version 1.1, refer to the E-M10 Mark III (Ver 1.1) instruction manual.
  • *5 Because new functions have been added to the PEN-F with firmware version 3.0, the instruction manual has been revised accordingly.
    For instructions regarding the latest firmware version 3.0, refer to the PEN-F (Ver 3.0) instruction manual”

Indeed, one can download all manual versions for all their OM-D cameras, including for the ones I have, namely E-M1, E-M1.2, E-M5, E-M5.2, and even for my E-P2.

I will get the latest versions after I have updated all my cameras accordingly.

I have updated the E-M1.2 to Firmware version 3.0 - no issues so far. I have also updated the Firmware of my 2 lenses - 40-150/2.8 Pro, 300/4 Pro - that can be used with their Teleconverters 1.4x and the new 2x. Still have to order the 2x TC though. Then the MFT TCs will match the FT TCs I got, so both the 400/4 Pro and the 300/2.8 SHG can reach the 135 film equivalent of 1200mm. :thumbs:

It will be interesting to find out if my 4 FT lenses, including my 3 tunas, will benefit from better, i.e. more consistent AF, when used on the E-M1.2.

Thanks again Bart! Much appreciated!

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/su...76RKNi2ElYH_i80-G_kuxSj_EoWxriyZvU7XzkhS6eF-Y

OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM

Firmware update for OM-D series
Model name​
ver.​
Description​
How to update​
Release​
E-M1X1.1Click hereDigital Camera UpdaterJun. 19, 2019
E-M1 Mark II *13.1Click hereDigital Camera UpdaterJul. 09, 2019
E-M1 [SUP]*1[/SUP]4.6Click hereDigital Camera UpdaterFeb. 14, 2019
E-M5 Mark II[SUP]*1[/SUP]4.1Click hereUpdating from ver. 3.0 to 4.1
Updating from ver. 1.x / 2.x to 4.1