The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2, etc. ... Peculiarities

scott kirkpatrick

The new stuff in this release seems to be image stabilization improvements (plus the usual unacknowledged bugfixes). Has anyone seen evidence for it?

scott

edit: E-P5 and E-PL5,6,7 are also offered updates. All affect image stabilization. I didn't see any lens updates since last year.

Last edited:

mazor

wow, thanks for the info. did not know there was a 4.1 update for the E-M1 already! Still getting uesd to the new silent electronic shutter feature :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Many thanks for the info! Updated EM1 to 4.1 and works perfectly!

Kudos to Olympus for following that firmware update trend like Fuji does!

Will also see the PenF on next Sunday in person to try it out - keep fingers crossed I do not get infected, but there is not much hope :banghead:

Elderly

I've also updated my EM1 from 4.0 to 4.1 and the result is .....

..... that it's not a brick :thumbup:

Thanks for the heads up :).

I've also updated my 12-40 Pro as somehow I missed last November's update
for this lens :facesmack:.

and Viewer 3.

zensu

I've also updated my EM1 from 4.0 to 4.1 and the result is .....

..... that it's not a brick :thumbup:

Thanks for the heads up :).

I've also updated my 12-40 Pro as somehow I missed last November's update
for this lens :facesmack:.

and Viewer 3.
I too wasn't aware that the 12-40 had an update I missed. Luckily I had the lens mounted when I did the update. From now on I'll start checking Olympus Update Service on all my lenses Firmware.
Bobby

Elderly

I too wasn't aware that the 12-40 had an update I missed. Luckily I had the lens mounted when I did the update. From now on I'll start checking Olympus Update Service on all my lenses Firmware.
Bobby
Strange:confused: - I too had the lens attached (I think:eek:) when I did the update to 4.0,
but this time (4.1) I definitely had the lens attached, however I had to do separate updates for both the body and the lens. Could it be because I updated via Viewer 3 ?

k-hawinkler

Strange:confused: - I too had the lens attached (I think:eek:) when I did the update to 4.0,
but this time (4.1) I definitely had the lens attached, however I had to do separate updates for both the body and the lens. Could it be because I updated via Viewer 3 ?

Thanks Ian. No, I don't think so. I am using the Updater or Viewer 3 with camera and lens attsched. It lists what needs to be updated. Then I choose one item at a time that then is updated. On to the next. I had also missed updating a lens and Viewer 3. So I updated those as well.

My 3 cameras E-M1, E-M5, and E-M5.2 now have the latest FW versions, as well as my Olympus lenses and the one Panasonic/Leica lens that I have, the Nocticron 42.5/1.2. However, my 2 Sigma lenses 19 and 30 mm never seem to get updated. My guess those 2 are not considered by the Olympus/Panasonic MFT eco system.

k-hawinkler

Recently there has been some discussion about peculiarities of µ4/3 systems in general and Olympus gear in particular.

Life without IBIS on halfway release. Life without IBIS on halfway release.: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
IBIS v. OIS - a quick comparison. IBIS v. OIS - a quick comparison: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
E-M1 transformed by the new C-AF. E-M1 transformed by the new C-AF: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Olympus OMD E-M5 Focus Peaking Trick. Olympus OMD E-M5 Focus Peaking Trick: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Hidden Secrets of the E-M1.... Hidden Secrets of the E-M1....: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Olympus E-M5 MK II Tips and Tricks Review. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3821706#forum-post-55564166
One thing that makes me chuckle about the Oly f4 300mm… http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3947700?page=4
Dual IS. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3948494

I thought it might be useful to have a closer look at some of these topics.
Let's start with Menu items that deal with image stabilization, be it of the camera body or of the lens.
(Note to myself: Of interest e.g. for my Lumix Leica DG Nocticron 42.5/1.2 ASPH. O.I.S. or the new Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm F4 IS Pro with lens I.S.)

Here are the menu image stabilization settings of E-M1, E-M5, and E-M5.2 that impact the camera body and lens.

.......,E-M5,.......... Shooting Menu 2/Image Stabilizer/:..................................... Image Stabilizer mode for still S-IS, Image Stabilizer Focal Length.
E-M1,.......,E-M5.2 Custom Menu/C Release/Image Stabilizer/:......................... Image Stabilizer mode for still and movie S-IS and M-IS.

E-M1,E-M5,E-M5.2 Custom Menu/C Release/Image Stabilization or + IS Off/:.. Continuous shooting image stabilization mode On or Off.
E-M1,E-M5,E-M5.2 Custom Menu/C Release/Half Way Rls With IS/:.................. Image stabilizer will work while shutter button is being pressed On or Off.
E-M1,E-M5,E-M5.2 Custom Menu/C Release/Lens I.S. Priority/:........................ Select On to use lens I.S, On or Off.

We see for the E-M5 still image stabilization is set in Shooting Menu 2 while for the E-M1 and E-M5.2 still and movie image stabilization is set in Custom Menu/C Release. The other 3 settings are in the same menu location for all 3 cameras, namely those for • activating IBIS for continuous shooting, • activating IBIS when pressing shutter button, and • activating lens I.S.

Some of the issues, being discussed in the references above, deal with:

• when to use IBIS or not,
• use IBIS in continuous shooting mode or not,
• have IBIS active while shutter button is half way pressed or not, and finally
• how to use IBIS and lens I.S., differences for different cameras.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Another peculiarity, indeed a nice feature, is having shutter speeds of up to 16,000.
To find out what that could do, I went out in bright New Mexico sunlight with the Lumix Leica DG Nocticron 42.5/1.2 ASPH. O.I.S. and shot it at F/1.2! :loco:
Two views of the same power pole structure. :grin:

Olympus E-M1 + LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5/F1.2 @ F/1.2, 1/16000 s, ISO=160. Using Aperture priority mode and Auto ISO took care of the exposure.

Last edited:

retow

To find out what that could do, I went out in bright New Mexico sunlight with the Lumix Leica DG Nocticron 42.5/1.2 ASPH. O.I.S. and shot it at F/1.2! :loco:
Two views of the same power pole structure. :grin:
s://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-by-Date/2016-02-07-E-M1425f12/i-4GB28VL/0/O/_2070045_1401x1401.jpg[/IMG]

Olympus E-M1 + LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5/F1.2 @ F/1.2, 1/16000 s, ISO=160. Using Aperture priority mode and Auto ISO took care of the exposure.[/QUOTE]

Interesting points but what I find even more remarkable is the performance of this lens @f1.2.

k-hawinkler

The Sandhill Cranes are circling here already pretty high to gain even more height.
The camera is shooting this picture from way below but from the side at about a 50º to 60º angle with respect to the ground.

Olympus E-M5.2 + M.Zuiko Digital 40-150/2.8 PRO, @ 150 mm, F/2.8, 1/1000 s, ISO=100, IBIS On or Auto, handheld.

I am really curious what image I can get with the 300/4 lens for this scenario.
The lens will likely show up too late for the current crane migration.
Oh well, there are plenty of other opportunities in the Spring when migratory birds return from south of the border! :grin:

k-hawinkler

Two musicians found a spot at the edge of town to practice their craft, just a short walk from the canyon rim. :grin:

Olympus E-M5.2 + M.Zuiko Digital 40-150/2.8 PRO, @ 40 mm, F/2.8, 1/2000 s, ISO=2000, IBIS On or Auto.

k-hawinkler

A little while later the Sunset produces these gorgeous colors in a very narrow area of the sky.

Olympus E-M5.2 + M.Zuiko Digital 40-150/2.8 PRO, @ 40 mm, F/2.8, 1/100 s, ISO=200.

k-hawinkler

Delivery Update from Amazon for Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm f4.0 PRO Lens (Black):

Your new estimated delivery date is: Friday, March 18, 2016 - Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Knorp

That's quite an estimate, K-H ... :facesmack:

- - - Updated - - -

Luckily it is this year ... :grin:

Last edited: