The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Difference between Canon FD and FL (BL) mount

Diane B

I've been looking for an FD 35/2 and have found one at KEH with BL mount (breech). I never owned any of the older FD lenses and even looking at the photos of the two here http://canonfd.farah.cl/CanonFD_faql.html#mounts am not sure if my FD-m4/3rds adaptor will work. It appears so--there is no AF lever on the BL. Does anyone know if they are compatible?

Never mind LOL--Stephen Gandy has info on his site stating that the adaptor will work with the FL lenses.

Diane

Last edited:
R

Ranger 9

And it sticks in the musty corners of my mind that if FD(n) (pseudo-bayonet), FD (breech-lock) and FL (breech-lock) lenses work, R lenses should also work... I seem to recall reading that the mount flange and back-focus distance are identical, the only differences being the actuator levers and signal pins. Any Canonistas know if this is true? Or am I just having false-memory syndrome again?

Diane B

Thanks, and that's interesting about the R lenses if true (I need to do a bit more research on that).

Diane

R

Ranger 9

Thanks, and that's interesting about the R lenses if true (I need to do a bit more research on that).
Diane
This from the Canon Compendium [Hove Books, 1994], by Bob Shell (and no Bob Shell jokes!):

"It is important to understand the differences in these mounts. Contrary to what you may have heard, any Canonflex, Canomatic or Type R lens will fit any Canon camera with FL or FD mount, and likewise any FL-mount lens will fit on any Canonflex. They will focus to infinity. However, since the diaphragm linkages are totally different, the diaphragms will not operate automatically...

..."Except for the addition of the aperture follower lug, the FD mount is identical to the FL mount, and all FD-mount lenses can be used on older FL-mount and Canonflex cameras...

..."When the AE-1 was introduced in 1976, Canon introduced a new variation on the FD mount, called informally "FD-N". This mount was odd in that it worked like the existing breach-lock [sic] mount and was fully interchangeable with the older lenses, but was mounted and dismounted on the camera by turning the whole lens."
Don't know how this info applies to mounting them on a Micro Four Thirds adapter, but if this info is correct, the flanges and back focus at least should be compatible.

antara

I just discovered that I have a Canon FL 35mm f2.5.
Is this a good lens? Sharp? Contrast?
Worth getting an adapter for it?

Antara

Diane B

I just discovered that I have a Canon FL 35mm f2.5.
Is this a good lens? Sharp? Contrast?
Worth getting an adapter for it?

Antara
Antara, I don't know if this will give you any information you need, but here's a link to the FL lenses
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fllenses/index.htm

I just bought an FD 35 f/2.8 (couldn't find an f/2 and its also a much larger than the f/2.8 and I'm trying to remember one of the reasons I bought the G1--size/weight). I'll be curious about the FL 35 f/2.5

Diane

Last edited:

antara

Diane, a quote from that link. Not sure exactly what that means. Any thoughts?

"FL 35mm F 2.5

A retrofocus type wide-angle lens with a large aperture, passing a large quantity of marginal light because of the two large elements in the front group. This lens has very flexible characteristics in that soft delineation. And it is possible at maximum aperture while very sharp pictures are available when the aperture is closed down."

Thanks for the lead,
Antara