The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

an old favorite ...

Godfrey

I've printed this before, but my online display version was pretty small. I wanted to make a new print of it as a gift for a friend so reprocessed it.

Made with the first FourThirds camera, the Olympus E-1 + ZD 11-22/2.8-3.5 lens. Camera still going strong after 13 years.
I've printed the photo to 11x14 inches.

enjoy!
G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Great shot!

And it shows what was possible already this long time ago!

Reminds me on slowing down with all that technology races into whatever direction. Use your senses and skills and what you have and produce what is possible. And stop testing and trying.

All the best

Peter

marlof

That is a very nice image, Godfrey, and exactly the type of image the E1 shines in: beautiful warm colors, great light. My favorite lens on that system was the 11-22. I sold it to cut down on the amount of lenses when I go the 12-60 at one time, but always regretted that choice. Now I only have the E1 and 14-54 left of my E-system. It lives on the shelf where old cameras go to be admired after active duty, next to the Pen E-P1 with 17 2.8.

Godfrey

Thanks!

I reprocessed it from the original .ORF in LR 6.4, then output with 1.414x uprezzing to TIFF. From that I've made two rather beautiful 11x14 inch prints. Processing E-1 photos in LR post v4.0 really changes the game: the E-1's ISO 1600 and 3200 settings are very usable now and the whole feel of the dynamic range and depth has improved.

While it doesn't get the use that it once did, I still have my E-1, 11-22, 50-300, EC-14, and 35 Macro. And still occasionally use it. It remains the best DSLR I owned for its total balance of ergonomics, image quality, features, quiet operation, and stunning lenses. Even though the E-5 was technically better, and the Nikon D750 runs past both in various ways, I still just love shooting with the E-1 in a way that none of the other DSLRs have managed. The Leica SL is the first camera since the E-1 to give me that same feeling.

Waxing nostalgic about a 13 year old DSLR ... I must be getting old. ;-)

G

mazor

Wow, lovely shot Godfrey! The way the colors are rendered are superb. Good to see the E-1 is indeed going strong. Do you take it out from time to time for some shooting?

Godfrey

Wow, lovely shot Godfrey! The way the colors are rendered are superb. Good to see the E-1 is indeed going strong. Do you take it out from time to time for some shooting?
Thank you!

I do indeed. I still use it a lot for tabletop work (FourThirds with a 35mm or 100mm lens is a great tool for product pictures; 5Mpixel is way more than enough for Ebay and other such things) but occasionally I fit the 11-22 or 35 Macro on to go for a walk. Sometimes, I put on the Summicron-R 50/2 or Nikkor-H 85/1.8 too.

The Leica SL has taken over from everything else as being my "standard camera" nowadays, but I do like to pull out these older gems and exercise them occasionally.

G