The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus magnification and peaking for manual focus - NEED HELP

harmsr

Workshop Member
I just bought a Pen-F for vacations and have been having fun setting it up, but I'm having a problem with manual focus.

I only bought 2 lenses. The 12-40 Pro and the 17/1.8. Both lenses have the manual ring on them to switch between AF and MF.

The 12-40 reacts exactly as I would expect for how the camera is set-up. I move the lens ring to MF and start to focus, then the VF magnifies and uses peaking. Both features are turned on in the menu.

The 17/1.8 does neither of those functions when I move the lens ring to MF and start to focus. It does focus, but with no magnification and no peaking. Both features are turned on in the menu. I press the magnification button above the main rear dial and it does magnify, but no peaking.

Am I missing something, or the lens defective?

Thanks for any help.

jonoslack

Hi There Ray
I'm not sure about this one, as I don't use magnification or focus peaking much - it seems unlikely that there's a fault with the lens, but what happens if you turn the camera on to manual focus (rather than using the push-pull ring)?

retow

I just bought a Pen-F for vacations and have been having fun setting it up, but I'm having a problem with manual focus.

I only bought 2 lenses. The 12-40 Pro and the 17/1.8. Both lenses have the manual ring on them to switch between AF and MF.

The 12-40 reacts exactly as I would expect for how the camera is set-up. I move the lens ring to MF and start to focus, then the VF magnifies and uses peaking. Both features are turned on in the menu.

The 17/1.8 does neither of those functions when I move the lens ring to MF and start to focus. It does focus, but with no magnification and no peaking. Both features are turned on in the menu. I press the magnification button above the main rear dial and it does magnify, but no peaking.

Am I missing something, or the lens defective?

Thanks for any help.
Mine behaves exactly the same, with different lenses and MF turned on via menu/assigned button. I hope it's user error.

harmsr

Workshop Member
It works if I assign MF via menu or dedicate a button to it. Just seems weird. The 17 switches to MF with the lens ring switch, but does not magnify or focus peak unless assigned to MF via menu or button. The 12-40 does everything it should just by moving the lens ring switch.

harmsr

Workshop Member
Just talked to Olympus support and seemed to surprise them with the issue.

Their temporary fix is what I already did, of assigning a button to MF if I want to magnify and peak with the 17/1.8.

Evidently the 17 works normal as the 12-40 on other cameras vs. the Pen F.

The firmware for the Pen F will need to be updated to fix the issue with the 17/1.8.

zensu

Their temporary fix is what I already did, of assigning a button to MF if I want to magnify and peak with the 17/1.8.

The firmware for the Pen F will need to be updated to fix the issue with the 17/1.8.
It's good to hear that Olympus acknowledges a problem and suggest (I hope) an up coming correction.
Bobby :watch:

Godfrey

Yes, a new model fw glitch. I'm sure they'll correct it.

G