The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lumix GX80

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, it looks good but I simply cannot understand why Panasonic went backwards to that boring 16MP sensor. Looks like another stupid marketing decision, which at least for me makes this camera completely uninteresting :banghead:

hot

"standard" mFT 16mpixel is fine, buuut more is better - how you said: 20mpixel are okay ... comes time, comes solution

Body 699€

Last edited:

teeraash

Plan to get one despite already having the 8. Here are features that I like: form factor/size, tilty instead of selfie screen, no AA filter, don't have to be concerned regarding SS. Black body with black 12-32mm looks so nice.
If I want lot of detail or to print at very large size, I will have to resort to others FF systems such as Sony 42mp.

Last edited:

hot

I've GH4/GX7/TZ80/NX500, but GX80 looks nice ... waiting for half price .... :D
Therefor I never bought GX8 - which is an excellent camera - especially
moveable viewer like gx7 - but smaller is more beautiful.

Lars

There is the possibility that GX80/85 is an attempt to unify GX/GM lines. Probably not the case - we'll see if a true GM5 replacement materializes later this year.

mazor

Plan to get one despite already having the 8. Here are features that I like: form factor/size, tilty instead of selfie screen, no AA filter, don't have to be concerned regarding SS. Black body with black 12-32mm looks so nice.
If I want lot of detail or to print at very large size, I will have to resort to others FF systems such as Sony 42mp.
Does the GH series Panasonics already have no AA filter? Also from the Olympus side the E-M1 also has no AA filter.

teeraash

Does the GH series Panasonics already have no AA filter? Also from the Olympus side the E-M1 also has no AA filter.
E-M1 and Pen-F are only the m43 that don't have low pass filter. The GH series are catering for the video crowd and removing moire may not be as easy as still. That is why Pana put AA filter in these cameras. The last point is my speculation as I don't really know much about making video.

drofnad

... same boring 16mpx sensor
But sans AA filter, so not quite the same?
(D4, 1DX, Monochrom ... do w/similar resolution (16,18,18).)

It's alway a puzzle to me to read the contrasting opinions on needs for resolution.
Gianni Galassi recently had an exhibition where he wanted large prints --to wit:
[viewer praise] I visited this show yesterday (a good excuse to visit Venice). The prints are really breathtaking. Very impressive. The Wilmotte Foundation space is excellent as well, second I've been there. Your photos look good on the web, Gianni, but printed big they are just fantastic. It was a pity that the book was not available in the gallery. Complimenti!
[GG's reply]
Thank you, David.
Putting up the show has been a good excuse to visit Venice for me as well!
Yes, the Wilmotte Foundation's space is fantastic, and has been a powerful source of inspiration to me when designing the exhibition layout.
Giving the visitor a strong visual experience was my first aim. In a time when almost anybody has a forty-inch TV set at home, showing smaller prints than in a tea-table photo book, as most galleries do, is simply unacceptable IMHO.
And so I remarked about these --his WWWeb site has a photographic *tour* of the effort to build the exhibition (which included a short boat ride!)--, and learned from Gianni:
Part of the "Elogio" exhibition was shot with the 18Mpx Monochrom, yes. But earlier photographs are the output of Micro Four Thirds cameras, such as 12 Mpx Olympus Pen, [as well as] Canon PowerShot G10 and G15, Sigma DP2 Merrill, and Leica M9-P.
... and result from good shooting & processing & printing.
But is greater mpx going to substitute for these very well?

cf http://giannigalassi.typepad.com/blog/2015/10/my-new-show-elogio-della-luce-in-praise-of-light.html and associated links.

As for "80" & "85" ("The Panasonic GX85 (North American name) / GX80 (European name)"), the diff. is less than dollars-to-euros conversion rate, but ... WTHeck?! --perhaps something subtle in camera (i.e., an actual difference) per market?

-d.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This looks like a very cool camera. Unfortunately, I'm in "austerity mode" at the moment, so have to wait for somebody to buy it an not like it, so that I can get one for dimes on the dollar :ROTFL: