The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 HD on Norwegian site

Re: G1 HD on Norwegian site: Comments from the author

Obviously the author of the Norwegian text has seen this thread, and tried to reply to it. Today I got a private message from him, and I copy his text here in extenso:

"Hi! I´m the guy who wrote the article about the new G1. I would like to answer any questions you may have, but seem to be having problems posting to the site after registering.

Anyway, I stand by all statements in the article, as such. It´s just that the guys from Pana were VERY secretive about some of the details (I´ve tried to point this out in the article). Aside from that, yes the pancake is apparently real, and very fast. We´ll see.

The whole setup was under glass, hidden away in the corner. Guess I was one of the few to notice it.

Also, horrible to see the Google translation of my text. *Shudder*

Feel free to post this to the thread, I´ll check back later today. Cheers from Norway! "

Very interesting comments from the guy who was actually there; thanks a lot!

Diane B

Interesting comments but it doesn't seem to bode well for anything much being announced by Panasonic at PMA. If he had to 'notice' the G1HD hidden away in the corner, it doesn't appear they were pushing it much so I don't have much hope for the HD (which I'm not interested in actually) or lens announcements happening in the next several days.

Diane

M

Morteng

Hi, I´m the guy who wrote the article on tu.no. I´ve now managed to get my brand new account here validated :)

First of all, sorry about the typo - the pancake is 1.7 :( many apologies for that mistake.

Also, Pana were certainly not promoting the G1 HD, they were focusing on the TS1. And lots of other stuff. So, for people who have been following this closely I guess there is nothing new under the sun. No confirmation of any release date or anything.

They were, however, talking up the specially developed "video lens" - touting its speed, focus-capabilities when shooting video and bragging about it being "silent". When pressed, and out of earshot of anyone wearing a tie, naturally. Also the stereo mic is supposedly very, very good.

If anyone cares I´ll upload highrez versions of the shots I took of the thing inside its glass box.

R

Ranger 9

Welcome, Morteng, and thanks for authoritatively clearing all that up!

Other than the pancake and the 14-140, did you hear any other lens discussion, or notice any other Micro Four Third lenses in the glass box?

I'm getting a little nervous about the non-tidal-wave of non-announcements of more lens support for Micro Four Thirds; if nobody except Panasonic makes lenses for it, it's going to get a little lonely in MFT-land...

M

Morteng

(snip)

Other than the pancake and the 14-140, did you hear any other lens discussion, or notice any other Micro Four Third lenses in the glass box?

I'm getting a little nervous about the non-tidal-wave of non-announcements of more lens support for Micro Four Thirds; if nobody except Panasonic makes lenses for it, it's going to get a little lonely in MFT-land...
I agree! Where are all the other lenses? The third one in the glass box was a 7-14... But I have no info on it at all. Sorry.

I spoke to my press contact for Pana here in Norway just now, she was heading for some kind of meeting on availability today, and promised me more info tomorrow. If anything interesting comes of it, I´ll share :)

Terry

I agree! Where are all the other lenses? The third one in the glass box was a 7-14... But I have no info on it at all. Sorry.

I spoke to my press contact for Pana here in Norway just now, she was heading for some kind of meeting on availability today, and promised me more info tomorrow. If anything interesting comes of it, I´ll share :)
Great! Thanks....hopefully there will be news.

Brian Mosley

Hi Morteng,

welcome, and thank you for clarifying your report - did you ask/notice whether there will be a remote mic socket on the new camera?

Perhaps Panasonic will have release info for us tomorrow?

Kind Regards

Brian

LizaWitz

Tomorrow is a Tuesday and the first day of PMA. We really need a press release from Panasonic tomorrow.

I expect that they wouldn't talk about the camera in Amsterdam because they want to save the excitement for this week. But I may be engaging in wishful thinking.

The record button is the red button on the back, the interesting thing about Mortengs pictures, as compared to the ones from last fall-- is that there's something under that red button. I don't know if its just a label that says "video" or what.

Key questions:
Does it have a Mic Jack?
Headphone Jack?
Full Manual control possible while shooting video?
Does it shoot 24 fps? 1080p?

Judging by it not having a "movie" mode on the mode dial and a separate button for video from the still button-- I'm hopeful that in movie mode the camera will act in all respects like it does in still mode-- full auto or full manual, face tracking focus, etc.

If this does what I need, then I will buy it and this will be the first interchangeable lens camera I've bought in 25 years! It will be great to shoot video with full control, and while I don't relish a return to my days as a teen carrying multiple lenses around, I don't think I'll need more than 2 or 3.

Terry

If this does what I need, then I will buy it and this will be the first interchangeable lens camera I've bought in 25 years! It will be great to shoot video with full control, and while I don't relish a return to my days as a teen carrying multiple lenses around, I don't think I'll need more than 2 or 3.
Welcome! Well you might be limited to one lens. I thought it needed to have the HD signature on the lens to work with the video. So far in the roadmap, that is the one lens pictured.

monza

As long as it has the 'shoot with no lens' feature for HD, there will be plenty of lens options. :)

LizaWitz

You may be right, but that would be really foolish if it only worked with HD lenses. I would need the HD lens for video when I want the camera to autofocus anyway, as I assume that other autofocus lenses would be too loud.

But I'm hoping to put on some funky and fancy lenses and manual focus them. Like that Industar 69. One of the things that has me so excited about the G1 platform is the wide variety of lenses it can take.

Terry

You may be right, but that would be really foolish if it only worked with HD lenses. I would need the HD lens for video when I want the camera to autofocus anyway, as I assume that other autofocus lenses would be too loud.

But I'm hoping to put on some funky and fancy lenses and manual focus them. Like that Industar 69. One of the things that has me so excited about the G1 platform is the wide variety of lenses it can take.
Oh yeah I'm sure it will take other lenses you just probably don't want to try and AF with them in video.

DavidE

Panasonic is having a press conference tomorrow morning (8:30 a.m.) at PMA. I plan to attend and will let you know if they announce any micro 4/3rds cameras or lenses.