Site Sponsors

Thread: G1 HD on Norwegian site

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

G1 HD on Norwegian site

http://www.tu.no/forbrukerteknologi/article201703.ece

For those few of you ( ) who dont understand Norwegian, the text says that the G1 HD was presented by Panasonic on a press conference earlier this week in Amsterdam.

The new model will come bundled with the 14 - 140 lens. So far, nothing really new, but there are a few interesting things. First, it was said that "a 20/1.4 mm pancake will be launched together with the new HD version". If thats correct, the pancake will be both a step faster and launched earlier than has been said.

Also, there are several images of the new model; very few external changes.

I dont know anything about the credibility of the site; Im just surprised that no other site has mentioned this press conference if it has indeed taken place as described.

Personally, I dont give a d-mn about video; Im a bit relieved if there are no more significant improvements to make me regret I didnt wait....

But IF that pancake comes soon (and IF its indeed 1.4!!!!), Ill be VERY happy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: G1 HD on Norwegian site

I think it's a typo... and I don't expect to see the 20mm f1.7 until the autumn.

I am excited about the G1HD though - I'm not into video, but I want to see the new technology and how it's used (electronic shutter primarily).

If this camera has a completely silent shutter mode, that will also be very good.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

I think this might be a bogus report. It's really bizarre that none of the big websites got hold of this. Other than the video I'd like to know what else it has to offer over the G1. Also, does anyone know the price of the 20mm? I bet it will be a fortune. that's what I don't like about four thirds. The lack of glass and it's price when compared to the big league. Maybe that will change when Oly steps up their game with that rocking rangefinder they should be working on.

Ranger 9

It does seem a bit surprising that no one else picked up on it... although I guess few photo-rumormongers read Norwegian (glad we have someone who does!)

I won't be missing the 720P video feature either, especially since it apparently uses the processor-hungry AVCHD codec (which might require buying a new computer to go with your new camera!)

And if the "1500 - 1900 dollars" text refers to US dollars, I'd say they might be in for tough sledding in the current economy.

But I'm with Per in thinking that 20/1.4 is a pretty exciting bit o' gossip... although if it turned out to be a 20/1.7 at a more affordable price point, I wouldn't be too disappointed...

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

TU, or Teknisk Ukeblad (Technical Weekly in English) is a very respected magazine in Norway, and the photos look real enough, so I guess this is the real thing.

The article also mentions that the AF on the 14-140 lens is very low noise, which will be a welcome feature for video. The price is not at all surprising, considering the high price of the PanaLeica 14-150mm zoom. The question is if the quality is equally high.

meilicke

AVCHD is a format that I like. High quality and small archive files. At least on the Mac, while AVCHD takes a while to transfer into Apple's CODEC, once it is there, it's just like any other format (processor wise).

I know a lot of people don't care about video on this camera, but it is interesting to me:
    1. Thinner depth of field. My Canon HF100 often has too much depth of field for me.
    2. Interchangeable lenses. At the very least this would give easy manual focus, zoom (as appropriate), and easy aperture control.

-Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Im Norwegian and I would beleive what they say. They are respected and wouldnt make fake articles about cameras. They might have presented the news to early though. Same thing happened with the M8.2 by the Norwegian Leica dealer. Seems like you shouldnt tell Norwegians secrets

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by meilicke View Post
    I know a lot of people don't care about video on this camera, but it is interesting to me:
    1. Thinner depth of field. My Canon HF100 often has too much depth of field for me.
    2. Interchangeable lenses. At the very least this would give easy manual focus, zoom (as appropriate), and easy aperture control.
    Okay, I don't care so much about HD video on a G1, but when you put it this way, I might be interested in an HD video camera that happens to work like a G1.

The big questions for me are recording time (the D90 and 5D Mk II are limited to recording in relatively short bursts; has Panasonic gotten beyond this?) and audio. Since this model is not just a rumor, but something Panasonic has acknowledged officially as in the pipeline, presumably we'll have real answers fairly soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    I think it's a typo... and I don't expect to see the 20mm f1.7 until the autumn.
    Yep, I suspect the 1.4 part is wrong. In some of the images, the pancake looks just the mockup images weve seen for months - and just think how huge the PanaLeica 25/1.4 is...

Brian, Im inclined (but not happy..) to believe you about the time for a pancake first serving.....

meilicke

Ranger, good points. Ideally it would have a mic input (stereo) and storage limit by the card only. And a head phone jack to monitor audio in real time. I can dream, right?

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

No one seems to have mentioned that the third lens in those photos must be the 7-14mm.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

I found this forum as news of the Norwegian find spread to dpreview. Here's the thoughts I posted there based on this article:

We know from the interview with panasonic that they have gone thru a lot of trouble to design lenses specifically for shooting HD video. This is a big investment and the reason the original G1 didn't shoot video.

On the other hand, Nikon and Canon just added HD as a recording mode to their still cameras. Both models suffer because of that. In the DP Review interview, the guy from panasonic said they "dont want to make the mistakes of the other DSLRS with video" (paraphrased.)

Thus there are three things that they have to do-- they have to provide a fast quiet AF system, which has been announced. And they have to shoot 1080p at 24Mbps. (I think MP4 instead of AVCHD at around 30Mbps would be better, but the AVCHD label on the back of the mockup indicates it will use AVCHD.) Finally, they have to provide manual control while shooting.

1080p is already the bar set by the canon and the other two items are areas of criticism of the competition. But if they achieve all three things, they will be producing the best camera by a mile for amateur filmmakers.

Given the announcement and the pricing-- this is not going to be a minor upgrade to the G1. Given the investment in new lenses, then it only makes sense for this camera to shoot 1080p.

And preferably at 24fps.

In fact, at this point-- if that pricing holds-- then they should include a mic jack and a headphone jack as well.

A G1HD at about the price of a G1, could shoot 720p, but then why put so much R&D into the new lens?

To make the R&D worthwhile on that lens, then this should be a serious entry in the HD market, and to recoup the costs of that R&D the camera / lens are going to have to be a bit expensive. So $1,200+.

But at $1,200 that rules out the possibility of shooting 720p. You can get an LX3 to shoot 720p. Not as well, but not $700 worse.

I could be wrong, but if I am, and especially if the camera doesn't come out until this fall, then Panasonic is kinda going to be shooting themselves in the foot. By fall there will be probably 6-9 DSLR and Point & shoot cameras that shoot 1080p, mostly in the $500-$1000 range.

PS-- Others later pointed out that Panasonic uses the term "AVCHD Lite" on their cameras that shoot 720p, so this also supports the 1080p theory.
    Last edited by LizaWitz; 1st March 2009 at 09:15.

kiloran

Body looks identical externally to the G1 bar the silver patch in front of the hot shoe, wonder what that is?

And if the body is identical shouldn't we expect more switches and dials for a video mode?

wernerasutter

The silver patch is the stereo mic.

wernerasutter

cf here

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the shutter release is different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    the shutter release is different.
    Of course, it's optimized for manual video mode, where you have to push it 24 or 30 times per second

That camera/lens combo looks very, very tempting. Do I have to buy both the E-620 and the G1 HD? Probably...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is one shot where you can see what looks to be a red button just about where the thumb rest is on the back of the camera. The bad news here is if these are really new pictures, the fact that it was still behind glass and not in people's hands is not a good sign.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The bad news here is if these are really new pictures, the fact that it was still behind glass and not in people's hands is not a good sign.
    For my bank account, it's a very good sign

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The bad news here is if these are really new pictures, the fact that it was still behind glass and not in people's hands is not a good sign.
    Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to get it in your hands at PMA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: G1 HD on Norwegian site: Comments from the author

Obviously the author of the Norwegian text has seen this thread, and tried to reply to it. Today I got a private message from him, and I copy his text here in extenso:

"Hi! Im the guy who wrote the article about the new G1. I would like to answer any questions you may have, but seem to be having problems posting to the site after registering.

Anyway, I stand by all statements in the article, as such. Its just that the guys from Pana were VERY secretive about some of the details (Ive tried to point this out in the article). Aside from that, yes the pancake is apparently real, and very fast. Well see.

The whole setup was under glass, hidden away in the corner. Guess I was one of the few to notice it.

Also, horrible to see the Google translation of my text. *Shudder*

Feel free to post this to the thread, Ill check back later today. Cheers from Norway! "

Very interesting comments from the guy who was actually there; thanks a lot!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting comments but it doesn't seem to bode well for anything much being announced by Panasonic at PMA. If he had to 'notice' the G1HD hidden away in the corner, it doesn't appear they were pushing it much so I don't have much hope for the HD (which I'm not interested in actually) or lens announcements happening in the next several days.

Diane

Morteng

Hi, Im the guy who wrote the article on tu.no. Ive now managed to get my brand new account here validated

First of all, sorry about the typo - the pancake is 1.7 many apologies for that mistake.

Also, Pana were certainly not promoting the G1 HD, they were focusing on the TS1. And lots of other stuff. So, for people who have been following this closely I guess there is nothing new under the sun. No confirmation of any release date or anything.

They were, however, talking up the specially developed "video lens" - touting its speed, focus-capabilities when shooting video and bragging about it being "silent". When pressed, and out of earshot of anyone wearing a tie, naturally. Also the stereo mic is supposedly very, very good.

If anyone cares Ill upload highrez versions of the shots I took of the thing inside its glass box.

Ranger 9

Welcome, Morteng, and thanks for authoritatively clearing all that up!

Other than the pancake and the 14-140, did you hear any other lens discussion, or notice any other Micro Four Third lenses in the glass box?

I'm getting a little nervous about the non-tidal-wave of non-announcements of more lens support for Micro Four Thirds; if nobody except Panasonic makes lenses for it, it's going to get a little lonely in MFT-land...

Morteng

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    (snip)

Other than the pancake and the 14-140, did you hear any other lens discussion, or notice any other Micro Four Third lenses in the glass box?

I'm getting a little nervous about the non-tidal-wave of non-announcements of more lens support for Micro Four Thirds; if nobody except Panasonic makes lenses for it, it's going to get a little lonely in MFT-land...
    I agree! Where are all the other lenses? The third one in the glass box was a 7-14... But I have no info on it at all. Sorry.

I spoke to my press contact for Pana here in Norway just now, she was heading for some kind of meeting on availability today, and promised me more info tomorrow. If anything interesting comes of it, Ill share

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Morteng View Post
    I agree! Where are all the other lenses? The third one in the glass box was a 7-14... But I have no info on it at all. Sorry.

I spoke to my press contact for Pana here in Norway just now, she was heading for some kind of meeting on availability today, and promised me more info tomorrow. If anything interesting comes of it, Ill share
    Great! Thanks....hopefully there will be news.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Morteng,

welcome, and thank you for clarifying your report - did you ask/notice whether there will be a remote mic socket on the new camera?

Perhaps Panasonic will have release info for us tomorrow?

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Tomorrow is a Tuesday and the first day of PMA. We really need a press release from Panasonic tomorrow.

I expect that they wouldn't talk about the camera in Amsterdam because they want to save the excitement for this week. But I may be engaging in wishful thinking.

The record button is the red button on the back, the interesting thing about Mortengs pictures, as compared to the ones from last fall-- is that there's something under that red button. I don't know if its just a label that says "video" or what.

Key questions:
    Does it have a Mic Jack?
    Headphone Jack?
    Full Manual control possible while shooting video?
    Does it shoot 24 fps? 1080p?

Judging by it not having a "movie" mode on the mode dial and a separate button for video from the still button-- I'm hopeful that in movie mode the camera will act in all respects like it does in still mode-- full auto or full manual, face tracking focus, etc.

If this does what I need, then I will buy it and this will be the first interchangeable lens camera I've bought in 25 years! It will be great to shoot video with full control, and while I don't relish a return to my days as a teen carrying multiple lenses around, I don't think I'll need more than 2 or 3.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LizaWitz View Post
    If this does what I need, then I will buy it and this will be the first interchangeable lens camera I've bought in 25 years! It will be great to shoot video with full control, and while I don't relish a return to my days as a teen carrying multiple lenses around, I don't think I'll need more than 2 or 3.
    Welcome! Well you might be limited to one lens. I thought it needed to have the HD signature on the lens to work with the video. So far in the roadmap, that is the one lens pictured.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

As long as it has the 'shoot with no lens' feature for HD, there will be plenty of lens options.

Post Thanks / Like

You may be right, but that would be really foolish if it only worked with HD lenses. I would need the HD lens for video when I want the camera to autofocus anyway, as I assume that other autofocus lenses would be too loud.

But I'm hoping to put on some funky and fancy lenses and manual focus them. Like that Industar 69. One of the things that has me so excited about the G1 platform is the wide variety of lenses it can take.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LizaWitz View Post
    You may be right, but that would be really foolish if it only worked with HD lenses. I would need the HD lens for video when I want the camera to autofocus anyway, as I assume that other autofocus lenses would be too loud.

But I'm hoping to put on some funky and fancy lenses and manual focus them. Like that Industar 69. One of the things that has me so excited about the G1 platform is the wide variety of lenses it can take.
    Oh yeah I'm sure it will take other lenses you just probably don't want to try and AF with them in video.

Post Thanks / Like

Panasonic is having a press conference tomorrow morning (8:30 a.m.) at PMA. I plan to attend and will let you know if they announce any micro 4/3rds cameras or lenses.