The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Now a new Epson vs the G1

monza

Re: R-D 1 and G1 combo workout

-- The difference between the R-D 1's basically instant shutter response and the G1's slower response (I know Monza thinks this is all in my head, but my shutter finger says different) took some getting used to, but I did get used to it.
Heh. Literally, I think it's all in your finger. ;)

Actually from a previous post, if memory serves, you had said the D80 felt faster than the G1, although the G1 actually has a shorter lag (for all practical purposes they are identical -- 77ms vs 83ms.) 6ms is far too short of a difference for a human to perceive.

OK, I looked it up to be sure:

"I always have to anticipate the action a bit: with the R-D 1 hardly at all, with the D300 a bit more, with the D80 a bit more than that. The G1 seems to require a little more than the D80."

Similarly the difference between the RD1 at 40ms and the D300 at 45ms is too short to perceive.

My gut tells me you are sensing differences between the various cameras in 'feel' or handling or some other perception (the feel of the shutter button press itself?) rather than actual difference in lag.

Impressive detail in that Nokton, I must say. And very helpful info regarding underexposure...the Epson and the G1 are definitely complementary.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

...snip...

You M8 owners don't need to be as interested in the idea of supplementing your RF camera with a G1, since your cameras have finder frames for longer lenses, and a long enough RF base to focus most of them accurately (although I think even yours might be challenged by, say, a 100mm f/2 Canon at close distances.)
I am interested because I would never take my M8 to an event alone and I don't have a backup M8. I agree with you that the G1 complements the R-D1, but I think that my G1 complements my M8 for the same reasons. It is wonderful to have a backup that easily fits in the bag, uses the M lenses (with adapter), and costs less than $1000.

I really enjoyed looking at this series. Thank you for sharing it.

R

Ranger 9

My gut tells me you are sensing differences between the various cameras in 'feel' or handling or some other perception (the feel of the shutter button press itself?) rather than actual difference in lag.
After re-reading your quote noting that originally I was comparing the G1 to the D80 rather than the R-D 1, I think I now understand what was going on.

I assume nobody disputes that the R-D 1's lag time is shorter, since nothing else has to happen before the shutter fires; no mirror to flip, no G1 shutter to close and re-open, etc.

But, I can believe I was mis-estimating the amount of lag in the G1 vs. the D80. What I was observing with the Brazilian dance class, for example, was that with the G1 I had to "lead" movement (which was very fast) by about "half a gesture" -- for example, if I wanted to show the arms out, I had to shoot when they were in, and vice-versa.

Now, for all I know, I might have had to do the same thing with the D80. The difference is that with the D80, I wouldn't know until I "chimped" later whether I had gotten the right moment or not; with the G1 (assuming review is turned on; I usually keep it set to 1 second) I would find out right away whether or not I had hit it. So, my misses were more evident with the G1 than the D80, simply because with the G1 I found out about them right away.

So, case closed and Monza was right, at least in the case of D80 vs. G1 -- there really isn't any significant lag difference, and I was thinking there was because of misperception.

I think it's still pretty evident that the R-D has less lag, but that's not what Monza had been questioning originally.

Incidentally, my key point in the most recent writeup was that although the G1 has more lag than the R-D, I was able to get used to it pretty quickly. I suspect that the instant feedback provided by the in-finder review makes it easier to get my timing dialed in.

We should all know that it's not how much lag that counts, it's how consistently you can anticipate it -- after all, sports photographers of the '30s got great action shots with Graflex cameras that had, relatively speaking, about enough shutter lag to drink a cup of coffee between pressing the lever and the shutter actually firing...

iiiNelson

I think for $3000 I'd look towards a lightly used M8 or a new FF dSLR (without any major improvement to sensor design as good as it was for it's day.)