The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX80 files are looking good

Godfrey

A lot is said around about Olympus not using an AA filter in several of their cameras (OMD EM1, EM5MKII, PenF) but quite frankly I have yet to see that aspect of lacking an AA filter that shines in those files. Definitively the EM5 MKII does seem to have one.
Anyhow, these are all great cameras, I just prefer no AA where possible, glad to see Panasonic stepped on that plate.
I've been working with FourThirds cameras since 2007: E-1, L1, G1, GF1, E-5, E-M1, E-PL1, and E-PL7.

Of these, the ones that show obvious characteristics of 'no AA filter' are the E-5, E-M1, and E-PL7. I don't need a specification to see it, I just need to look at my photos in raw format. For all three of these, the propensity to exhibit moire patterns on patterned textiles and other grid-lined subject matter is quite apparent. They're also the cameras that Lightroom's default raw sharpening strength presents itself as too strong and causes pseudo noise, even in low ISO shots of blue skies. Their output looks the most like what I see out of the Leica M9, M-P typ 240, and Ricoh GXR-M. For all of these cameras, I've created Lightroom processing defaults with the sharpening parameter set to between 0 and 8 rather than 25 in order to obtain the best image quality, in contrast to the E-1 and*some other cameras where I've set the default sharpening up between 30 and 50 to accommodate their heavy AA filtering.

I've not owned or used an E-M5 or E-M5 II, or other mFT cameras, to analyze their differences from the E-M1, E-5, etc.

G

raist3d

Wanted to mention I had a chance recently to use one, and man, it is a fantastic camera. Even more so at the price.

I was very torn. I almost got one, but the size is still important to me. I wish Panasonic would continue the GM line but apparently that's not going to happen. i was surprised the JPEG engine improved in color at night. Also you get a tiny bit of extra crisp due to the no AA.

Oh and the camera responds *hyper fast*.

- Ricardo

hot

Wanted to mention I had a chance recently to use one, and man, it is a fantastic camera. Even more so at the price.
- Ricardo
I wish you much fun! My "best cameras" are GX80 and NX500 ... daily in use, more used than GH4

Some autumn pictures .. all with GX80

... and some pictures, only with light bulbs

biglouis

Panasonic in the UK are offering 'double' cashback on the GX80 pushing it to an all-time low price, so I caved and got mine today. First impressions are very positive. Solid body, in fact a tad heavy for its size, good controls, familiar menus, autofocus is fast and the shutter sounds very damped.

Some test shots - not enough time to really check it out as I received it late in the day.

First two are with the Leica DG 25/1.4 - both wide open at f1.4, iso200.

This last shot is a crop from a frame taken with the Leica DG 100-400

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Note to self:
Don't be fooled by this GAS-ridden bunch and their great photos. You have the GM5 and the GX8 already, and that's enough, do you hear?

:lecture: :banghead: :lecture:

Elderly

Panasonic in the UK are offering 'double' cashback on the GX80 pushing it to an all-time low price, so I caved and got mine today. First impressions are very positive. Solid body, in fact a tad heavy for its size, good controls, familiar menus, autofocus is fast and the shutter sounds very damped.
I stupidly looked to see how much this equated to = £247.00 ........... that's very good!

Subtract £41.17 VAT @ 20% = £205.83 ..................... that's very very very good!!

Less another £41.17 (20% UK income tax basic rate for business use) = £164.66 .... that's

just about the cost of two tanks of fuel for my car in the UK !!! :loco::banghead::loco::banghead::loco::banghead:

biglouis

I stupidly looked to see how much this equated to = £247.00 ........... that's very good!

Subtract £41.17 VAT @ 20% = £205.83 ..................... that's very very very good!!

Less another £41.17 (20% UK income tax basic rate for business use) = £164.66 .... that's

just about the cost of two tanks of fuel for my car in the UK !!! :loco::banghead::loco::banghead::loco::banghead:
Just be aware that you have to shell out the full price of the camera, £447 first, and wait 28 days before submitting the request for the £200 refund.

That said, I did this last year for a refund on a GX8/12-35 bundle and Panasonic in the UK are very organised about it.

But, yes, from a business perspective the price is a no brainer, imho. And of course the tax man is probably not going to be aware of the cash back...

LouisB

Elderly

But, yes, from a business perspective the price is a no brainer, imho. And of course the *** man is probably not going to be aware of the cash back...

LouisB
That makes it about £98 :thumbs: :ROTFL:

*** I wonder how many 'net forums they scour? :scry:

biglouis

First walk about with the GX80 and a first generation Lumix 20/1.7.

As a Leica Q owner, to make a comparison, I can't work out if Panasonic has benefited from their association with Leica, or the other way around. This camera has the feel of Leica quality about it. It also reminds me of a GF-1 but on steroids.

I know that new kit always gets the endorphins flowing but I can't recall the last time I picked up a camera and instantly liked how it worked and how it felt. The colouration of the RAW files is just perfect - again I can't help seeing the Leica influence here - with a lot of 'pop' and I think I can actually detect more sharpness at the pixel level sans the AA filter. I hope the GX9, if and when it appears, does away with the AA filter as well. I know it states that the GX80 is not weather sealed but I honestly can't see the difference in build quality between it and my GX8. Not that I am about to test it out.

Unfortunately today was a grey, mist filled day but I still think I got some great shots out of the GX80. Mind you, the Lumix 20/1.7 is as close as you can get to a Leica 35 or 50 Summicron without being sued for out and out copying. If you don't own one of these ridiculously cheap lenses (especially second hand) you are missing out on fantastic quality. These captures are RAW, with only cropping in LR.

Jolly

First walk about with the GX80 and a first generation Lumix 20/1.7.

As a Leica Q owner, to make a comparison, I can't work out if Panasonic has benefited from their association with Leica, or the other way around. This camera has the feel of Leica quality about it. It also reminds me of a GF-1 but on steroids.

I know that new kit always gets the endorphins flowing but I can't recall the last time I picked up a camera and instantly liked how it worked and how it felt. The colouration of the RAW files is just perfect - again I can't help seeing the Leica influence here - with a lot of 'pop' and I think I can actually detect more sharpness at the pixel level sans the AA filter. I hope the GX9, if and when it appears, does away with the AA filter as well. I know it states that the GX80 is not weather sealed but I honestly can't see the difference in build quality between it and my GX8. Not that I am about to test it out.

Unfortunately today was a grey, mist filled day but I still think I got some great shots out of the GX80. Mind you, the Lumix 20/1.7 is as close as you can get to a Leica 35 or 50 Summicron without being sued for out and out copying. If you don't own one of these ridiculously cheap lenses (especially second hand) you are missing out on fantastic quality. These captures are RAW, with only cropping in LR.

May I say that I had exactly the same feeling about the gx80: I have back my GF1 "but on steroids".

The stabilizer is just great, same for the sensor (oh there is a 20mpixels, but who cares ...)
At the moment I am using it with my adorable 20mm 1.7 and the 30mm macro lens and the little gem which is the 60mm sigma (another impressing lens for the money).
I bought it for 520 euros and I find it quite cheap for what the camera is giving back to me.

drofnad

Note to self:
Don't be fooled by this GAS-ridden bunch and their great photos. You have the GM5 and the GX8 already, and that's enough, do you hear?

:lecture: :banghead: :lecture:
>>> I know that new kit always gets the endorphins flowing
>>> but I can't recall the last time
>>> I picked up a camera and instantly liked how it worked and how it felt.

Jorgen, do not (even) touch this camera; you feel your hand reaching ..., but resist, at all costs (do not hear that actual costs can be sooo low!) !!!
Say "The GH5 is coming" !
(Since, apparently "It's not at least 20mpx" and "it's only m4/3" aren't working.)

:ROTFL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
>>> I know that new kit always gets the endorphins flowing
>>> but I can't recall the last time
>>> I picked up a camera and instantly liked how it worked and how it felt.

Jorgen, do not (even) touch this camera; you feel your hand reaching ..., but resist, at all costs (do not hear that actual costs can be sooo low!) !!!
Say "The GH5 is coming" !
(Since, apparently "It's not at least 20mpx" and "it's only m4/3" aren't working.)

:ROTFL:
Only 5 days to the GH5 announcement. That will be the overkill I probably can't resist.

Elliot

Should the G80/85 files look about the same as the GX80/85 files?

The EVF on the GX85 was just not comfortable for me, both in terms of the image size (wearing glasses) and location (as a predominantly left-eye shooter), so I am inclined to go with the larger and slightly heavier G85.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Should the G80/85 files look about the same as the GX80/85 files?

The EVF on the GX85 was just not comfortable for me, both in terms of the image size (wearing glasses) and location (as a predominantly left-eye shooter), so I am inclined to go with the larger and slightly heavier G85.
If I should guess, they use the same sensor, but the viewfinder of the G80/85 is much better.